What's new

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I stumbled upon a system18 Bloxeed and have been trying to see what I can do with it. I know the rom board is suitable for Moonwalker but I'm not sure I can get the actual mobo ready to play it. Maybe someone can help out on a few q's here..

If I swap the battery CPU for a regular 68000 CPU, do I use 10mhz or does it matter if I use a 12 or 16?

The original looks to have an intel 8751 at ic4. MAME has the program code but I can't find a suitable replacement chip. Are there any such things? I see some NOS on eBay but not sure if they're actually write-able.

Otherwise I'll check out some other titles that use this rom board, or scout for a busted Moonwalker for the i8751...

this is relevant to my interests. I'd love to have a Moonwalker but I'm certainly not interested in paying Moonwalker prices.

Alex/hyperneogeo on klov says he's able to burn the i8751's, so we'll see how that goes. I also have a bunch of 68k cpu's so I guess I can swap them and see myself, just didn't want to hurt anything...

Alex/hyperneogeo on klov says he's able to burn the i8751's, so we'll see how that goes. I also have a bunch of 68k cpu's so I guess I can swap them and see myself, just didn't want to hurt anything...
I can also burn 8751 MCU's if folks are in need. Blanks are about $10 on eBay. I'll burn them for members in need, just pay for the chip and shipping. Make sure to get the UV-erasable variety as some plastic dip MCU's are OTP.

And yes, Bloxeed (system18 only, not the single board) can become Moonwalker :) Just use the decrypted program roms, burn the MCU, adjust the rom-board jumpers to match Moonwalker (see mame system18 source code) and replace the epoxy block with a stock 68000 CPU (10mhz). You can also do Shadow Dancer and Alien Storm on this rom board revision.

Have fun!

giphy.gif

You guys please keep talking :thumbsup:

My board, with unencrypted roms worked without the mcu.

Just took a look at the mame source and all of the known Moonwalker revisions require the 8751 MCU.

Its possible the hacked roms Trol is using has the 8751 hacked out.

Just took a look at the mame source and all of the known Moonwalker revisions require the 8751 MCU.

Its possible the hacked roms Trol is using has the 8751 hacked out.
Yeah I saw that too, so I was expecting the jammarcade decrypts to require it, too. those are the ones I'm using. I'm happy to get that chip if it's programmable, so I'm curious which roms don't need it.

Dude, I want to come over to play that Haunted Castle!!!! Gonna have to wait till January so i can drop off that Jamma Kit.

I think pretty much everything has been said here:
- Yes i8751 can still be bought NOS on ebay (either in UVPROM or OTP form). They can also be found in a lot of PCBs (many Capcom games have one like 1943, Black Dragon)
- Yes program ROMs can be modified to get rid of it (I did it for few games, there's one example on my blog for 1943)
- With a bit of hackery almost any romboard can be converted to Moonwalker

[EDIT] Found a pic, not from me

2014-031.jpg

If the program ROMs were all modified to remove the i8751 do you think it would be possible to create a System 18 multi board?
I know that system hasn't got many good games, but I personally would love to add Alien Storm, Shadow Dancer and DD Crew to my collection.

I already own a legit Moonwalker...
5zaXnX0.jpg

mkpdYXs.jpg

@jassin000 Want me to desuicide that ticking timebomb for you? Or you gonna just let it ride into the sunset and deal with it then?

Back