What's new
So I finally got my AT89c51 in... does this just get flashed with the file in MAME or is there something else I should be using?

I think that's the file I used. Nothing special... plus it's erasable iirc

(Actually from the Genesis version, but still appropriate)
94427_mjani.gif

I got everything burned and installed. set the jumpers, installed a normal MC6800P10, and used the decrypted 317-0158 ROMs from jammarcade.net

the game boots but there's no sound, it will coin up and I can start a game but a few seconds after starting my character freezes and. it's not a total lock up because some enemy animations continue. but that's as far as it goes.

i confirmed everything (audio included) was working before I did the conversion. It will go into test mode and it verifies everything as good.

I pulled the ROMs an IC4 and verified them all as good and double checked the jumpers... Not quite sure where to go from here.

A4 is non jedec 27c1000, that's about the only gotcha I remember. Worse case I can bring mine up and a/b things.

Could definitely be something like JEDEC vs non-JEDEC 27c1000. Did you confirm the pinout of the 27c1000 you ordered?

That's the correct non jedec pinout, but iirc there were both jedec and non jedec versions of that chip from ST.

You could try swapping pins 2 and 24 on your chip manually for a4 and see if that fixes the issue.

iirc there were both jedec and non jedec versions of that chip from ST.
Are you sure? the Max Loader software for my ChipMax2 only lists 1 chip from ST with that part number in a DIP32 package.

iirc there were both jedec and non jedec versions of that chip from ST.
Are you sure? the Max Loader software for my ChipMax2 only lists 1 chip from ST with that part number in a DIP32 package.
271000s are honestly the most PITA chip I've had to deal with. I had to buy multiple types to get one that was actually non JEDEC (these will be older chips). Technically the JEDEC ones should be called 27C1001 instead, but that's unfortunately not the case in practice.

The shittiest part of the problem I ran into was the Top3000 will only write 27C1000s in JEDEC. So if you have a JEDEC 27C1000 chip it will program and verify OK, but not work correctly on the PCB.

If you have a non JEDEC chip, then it will write "OK" then fail on verifying (because GND and A16 were swapped).

What I had to do was find actual non-JEDEC chips, swap pin 2 and 24 manually (by lifting them, doing a mod to the Top3000 and using dupont wires to connect to the lifted pins) and program them as (JEDEC) 27C1000.

Since these are older chips, you have to be very careful when lifting them or the legs may snap off.

I got it working... the st chips I bought are indeed non-jedec. I went to pull the chip to try your leg swap idea and one of the legs broke off and stayed in the socket. I burned a new chip after verifying that all the legs were good and now the game is working great.

I had to buy multiple types to get one that was actually non JEDEC (these will be older chips). Technically the JEDEC ones should be called 27C1001 instead, but that's unfortunately not the case in practice.
Old cowboy arcade repairer trick: just use 27C100 from AMD.

The shittiest part of the problem I ran into was the Top3000 will only write 27C1000s in JEDEC. So if you have a JEDEC 27C1000 chip it will program and verify OK, but not work correctly on the PCB.

If you have a non JEDEC chip, then it will write "OK" then fail on verifying (because GND and A16 were swapped).

What I had to do was find actual non-JEDEC chips, swap pin 2 and 24 manually (by lifting them, doing a mod to the Top3000 and using dupont wires to connect to the lifted pins) and program them as (JEDEC) 27C1000.
I built myself an adapter as I have to burn those chips quite often.

@ekorz which patched ROMs did you use?
Mine were from Jammarcade I thi--

I got it working... the st chips I bought are indeed non-jedec. I went to pull the chip to try your leg swap idea and one of the legs broke off and stayed in the socket. I burned a new chip after verifying that all the legs were good and now the game is working great.
You're too fast again...

is MC6800P10 the chip I need to replace the Hitachi FD1094? Now is the MC6800P10 10mhz or 12mhz? Just need to know as hyperneogeo is supplying me with all the chips.

It’s a Motorola 68000 processor. 10mhz. MC68000P10. Yes it replaces a fd1094

It’s a Motorola 68000 processor. 10mhz. MC68000P10. Yes it replaces a fd1094
ok ty for info he has a 12mhz one says it won't make a difference. So I should be all set just need to ship my bloxeed

Back