Opening Ringedge Case

• Opening Ringedge Case

I wanted to give a bit of a PSA for any future owners of a RE who aren't familiar with opening the case. In my quick attempt at searching for info, I didn't come up with anything.

I just got mine yesterday. It was my first exposure to an RE. I wanted to open the case for visual inspection and cleaning.

The top can be removed after removing only the 2 front screws at the top and sliding the top towards you away from the back of the RE.

The top was locked tight on mine and took quite a bit of prying to budge it, so much so that I was wondering if I had missed a screw somewhere. I did eventually get it loose without damaging the case. However I also accidentally let the prying tool slip and cut my arm... :( So be careful!

I'm not sure if my experience was normal, but thought I'd share.
    • Curious, did you get it for initial d?
      Arcade: Linked Pair F355 Challenge Deluxe, Super Chexx, Linked Pair Initial D4, Sega Rally Championship Deluxe
      Pinball: Pinball Magic (Sample), Breakshot, Pistol Poker, Mystery Castle, Al's Garage Band Goes On World Tour, Punchy The Clown, Radical (Sample), Radical (Production)
      Wanted: F355 Challenge Twins, League Champ/Strike Master Shuffle Alley, Namco Cool Gunman
    • Just to add to this, once you open the case for the first time, it would be convenient for you to swap SATA0 and SATA1 cables. This way, you can take advantage of the SSD tray. The PCs case has a SSD cage that can hold two drives. Heavily assuming this is for the satelite setup where the main SSD is used for the OS and a secondary hard drive is used to hold the games and other such files.

Anyways, that secondary tray is plugged in to SATA1 (or whichever is AFTER the primary). Swap these out so that you can just pull the Hard Drive out without having to completely open the case.

I do this often to swap between RingEdge games in my cabs.

1. Open Cab
      2. Pull out Secondary Disc Tray with SSD
      3. Pull out Key
      4. Insert different SSD to tray
      5. Slide in to PC
      6. Plug in key for new game
      7. Close cab.

RingEdge1 and RingEdge2 PCs are designed the same way.

Pictures to follow to make more sense of my gibberish.

P.S. When swapping games, note that you will lose SRAM data like saves and such, learned this the hard way as others may have done before me.
    • freddiefiasco wrote:

P.S. When swapping games, note that you will lose SRAM data like saves and such, learned this the hard way as others may have done before me.
      Doesn't that also mean losing the unlocks for games like ID8?
      Arcade: Linked Pair F355 Challenge Deluxe, Super Chexx, Linked Pair Initial D4, Sega Rally Championship Deluxe
      Pinball: Pinball Magic (Sample), Breakshot, Pistol Poker, Mystery Castle, Al's Garage Band Goes On World Tour, Punchy The Clown, Radical (Sample), Radical (Production)
      Wanted: F355 Challenge Twins, League Champ/Strike Master Shuffle Alley, Namco Cool Gunman