What's new

dos

Champion
Reaction score
I've wanted a Japanese cab, and specifically a NAC for about as long as I've been reading about games on the internet (so about as long as the NAC itself has been around). To me it's not the best or coolest cab which imo would be something metal and from the 80's, but it's the most "iconic", which hopefully doesn't make me sound like a total hipster. It's monitor is also large and excellent, and I only play 15kHz stuff. My favorite arcade in Japan, the 8th floor of Try Tower (RIP) was full of them:

SM1o1ft.jpg

For whatever reason I always missed out on group buys and local sales. I'm in South Florida, which is a complete wasteland as far as cabs go, or even people into this sort of thing. I always noticed plenty of cabs for sale in California, but shipping across the country is murder and I'm not loaded. I made do with an ancient Sigma supergun and a beat up SFII dynamo cab I bought from a friend in high school, and amassed a pretty nice set of boards. For years I made cab WTB threads on forums for something on the east coast, but got no replies, or offers of stuff like Korean and Chinese cabs. At some point my dad mentioned offhand that he knew the owner of a freight and logistics company and I realized I might finally be able to afford getting a cab across the country. I ask the obvious question and yeah, he can put a cab on a truck and bring it over, no prob.

I look around for who's selling cabs and come across "karcadegame" on this forum, out of California. I start talking to this obviously busy guy and trying to get him to show me what he has, apparently he has lots of NACs but they're hard to get to so it takes a bit of back and forth before I actually start seeing pictures of different machines (and I had to wire full payment before he would start pulling stuff down). Trying to judge a cab with blurry cell phone pictures from the other side of the country is kinda hard, and I'm sure he wasn't too happy with my constant questions about monitor quality etc. I ended up picking this one (actually the nicest one I saw if you can believe it):

J0mq3VU.jpg
Ryu1wii.jpg
9aWzCmo.jpg

Once I did everything went smoothly and he packed it up and put it on a pallet, and onto the truck it went.

L172Mmh.jpg

I was kind of worried about the way it was packed with only plastic wrap and the placement of the locking straps, after reading horror stories about the neo-geo forums coinopstore group buy, but the trucker said he noticed that it had almost no protection and made sure it would be safe, awesome guy. A couple days later and it's in the garage:

qq09VKt.jpg

I immediately notice the monitor has problems. There's only minor burn-in of a fighting game health bar but there's quite a bit of bleed when everything is at a decent brightness. I do a full calibration and it's mitigated a bit and I manage to get things looking "decent". I put in a new LS-32 and set of PS-14-GNs in the right color, and rotate the monitor, this is going to be a vertical cab:

6gFze14.jpg

After rotation the monitor's condition deteriorated, now coming up like this from a cold start and needing to warm up for ten minutes or so before looking decent again:

OLOTXUQ.jpg

At this point I just wanted to enjoy the thing so I ordered a set of Nichinon caps for the MS9 chassis from Digi-Key and concentrated mostly on playing for a couple weeks, and doing some minor work. I planned to take out the monitor later for a full cab teardown and cleaning so I could recap it then. The previous operator left the control panel a total rat's nest, with wires cut and tied together without solder, lots of electrical tape etc. I wish I had taken pictures of it in this state. Only buttons 1-3 were actually talking to anything, despite the cab coming with five buttons "wired". I took everything out and hacked a temporary setup out of what was there because I didn't have any AMP pins or connectors, just spliced and soldered what I had so that buttons 1-5 went to the JAMMA harness, and just left button 6 as a dummy until I could build a proper kick harness to send buttons 4-6 to my RECO. Not sure I would even need it considering even 4 buttons is a stretch for a cab mostly playing STG and other vertical stuff, but I just want everything working and it's nice to have a lot of buttons for different autofire rates with the RECO.

I changed the old yellowed coin slot for some minor bling, this is the legendhk slot

VzFIh8e.jpg

Cleaned up the front panels and installed some locks, these are 5380 clones from paradisearcade, not in the pic but I also installed a 5575 clone from legendhk on the coin box door:

FF8Hkjk.jpg

And did a general light cleaning of the cab body to get the most obvious grime off, also replaced some missing bolts on the CP and marquee and installed a grounded US power cord

iZaHksc.jpg

hqlnVzj.jpg

Around this point the marquee lamp starter that was already on it's last legs died completely so I ordered a new FG-1E starter from atlanta light bulbs and got a Philips "Natural" 15-watt T8 fluorescent tube from home depot which is the closest color temperature they had to the Toshiba FL-15D that came in the cab; 5000K vs. the original 6500K. It's a bit warmer but I felt like the original bulb made the marquee look too washed out so it's a bonus in my book:

kzs6zVr.jpg

I tried to play Raiden and didn't get any sound and measured +0.1V on the -5V line so I opened the 400-5198-01X PSU and found the 78L05 regulator had a hole in it

xf7bvwY.jpg

Replaced that and all was good, but I'm thinking about replacing it with a 7805 so this doesn't happen again. The 78L05 is only rated at 100mA while the 7805 can handle 1A. Has anyone done this?

After this I concentrated on just using the cab for a while, putting off the major work to do with the monitor and full teardown. I started to get annoyed with the inescapable bleed on some games, particularly darker stuff like Sky Shark and Twin Cobra. Getting these games to look acceptably bright also meant tons of bleed thanks to this chassis' failing caps. The recapping wouldn't be a big deal but since I wanted to strip and clean the cab when I had the monitor out, the cab would end up out of commission for a while. I decided to man up and get it over with

gkF3DaK.jpg

The chassis and tube were super clean compared to the rest of the cab, which was unbelievably filthy (more on this later). I had posted a thread over in the monitor help subforum about my monitor issues, and through that I learned that I actually have a newer MS9 chassis that auto syncs between 15 and 24kHz with no jumper needed, it's replaced by a relay. I'm certain this is not the cab's original monitor, but a newer one put in later at some point. Judging by the PSU model and some date code stickers found in the cab this is a very early NAC.

Here's the chassis pre-recap, with the relay visible

lyTIGF8.jpg

I replaced every cap but the 1000µF B+ filter, which I forgot to order but is now on it's way to me. A Hakko FR-300 desoldering gun made this job super easy and everything was painless

1W0h3Wz.jpg

When I plugged in the monitor to test, I was amazed. Not only was the slow warmup issue gone but the general picture quality was awesome. I was kind of bummed thinking I got a dog of a monitor and that this was a tired and worn out tube but this thing now looks almost like a PVM. No hint of bleed or any weirdness at all.

This is post-recap but pre-post-recap recalibration so I'm pretty sure it will look even better once that's done, click it for a bigger pic

ffi5YC5.jpg

With that out of the way I can focus on cleaning this thing up, which is going to be quite a job. I'm pretty sure this cab was used as a portajohn at some point

lU3Q4uB.jpg

xddYnPa.jpg

I stripped everything, all metal plates and brackets, harnesses, etc.

1vrgm8h.jpg

I went to work on the big stuff first, the cab shell parts. After some hours with simple green and a water hose it's all looking much better

uw45pY8.jpg

76lUm4j.jpg

l1C4Nk0.jpg

pHpESlD.jpg

nlNcmPv.jpg

01cphOh.jpg

So this is where I'm at right now, with the cab in a million pieces. Tomorrow I go to work cleaning all of the smaller parts, which are just as grimy. This cab does have a fair amount of scratches and other impossible to remove marks, which I'm just going to leave as they are. Never liked the idea of painting one of these unless it's really hopeless, some character is nice. I do want to find some way to get rid of the two very prominent cigarette burns right above the control panel which I'm just tired of staring at. I'm not sure I can figure out a way to do this without making it look worse though. Any thoughts about taking care of these burns?

sP4OGkm.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on finding and getting your cab! 8) hopefully the 1st of many to come. :D

Replaced that and all was good, but I'm thinking about replacing it with a 7805 so this doesn't happen again. The 78L05 is only rated at 100mA while the 7805 can handle 1A. Has anyone done this?
Can you tell if it's original, from the soldering joints? Or was this a replacement? If it's original then keep it 78L05, if not then you may want to replace it with 7805, or better look it up in the schematics, or ask some one in here to check that part in their NAC. My reasoning being, you do not know what blew the 78L05, and perhaps the regulator acted as a fuse, and could very well have saved you wrong other damage, so raising the amperage may have damaging consequences, should this ever re-occur. It's my paranoia talking. ^^

I do want to find some way to get rid of the two very prominent cigarette burns right above the control panel which I'm just tired of staring at. I'm not sure I can figure out a way to do this without making it look worse though. Any thoughts about taking care of these burns?
I have restored the original white color, on my Blast City CPO, by fine grain sanding and polishing, the plastic itself holds it's color, it's not painted on, so you may want to consider sanding and polishing out those stains.

Have fun with the clean up and rebuilding. :thumbup:

@K405 it is quite common for the -5V transistor to blow in a NAC PSU.

So I would replace it with the stock part and that should last at least for the next few years ;)

Nice work on the cab!

The problem is the original regulator is super weak. If you run for instance Midway games (Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, etc), you will burn it out sooner than later. If the higher rated regulator is a straight drop in, then I would certainly consider it.

Congratulations on finding and getting your cab! 8) hopefully the 1st of many to come. :D
Can you tell if it's original, from the soldering joints? Or was this a replacement? If it's original then keep it 78L05, if not then you may want to replace it with 7805, or better look it up in the schematics, or ask some one in here to check that part in their NAC. My reasoning being, you do not know what blew the 78L05, and perhaps the regulator acted as a fuse, and could very well have saved you wrong other damage, so raising the amperage may have damaging consequences, should this ever re-occur. It's my paranoia talking. ^^
Yeah it's the original part, and that's good advice, I'll leave it alone

I have restored the original white color, on my Blast City CPO, by fine grain sanding and polishing, the plastic itself holds it's color, it's not painted on, so you may want to consider sanding and polishing out those stains.
Have fun with the clean up and rebuilding. :thumbup:
Were your stains cigarette burns? From what I understand burns go much deeper than stains, but I could be wrong.

The problem is the original regulator is super weak. If you run for instance Midway games (Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, etc), you will burn it out sooner than later. If the higher rated regulator is a straight drop in, then I would certainly consider it.
I don't intend to bring shame upon this cab with foreign devil games so it should be good for a while :D

NAC's are my fave cabs, they are nice to sit at and the Monitors are awesome
congratulations on getting your Grail

NAC's are my fave cabs, they are nice to sit at and the Monitors are awesome
congratulations on getting your Grail
It's not quite my grail, I still want something like a Pony II/III or Consolette for horizontal stuff but these things are so out of reach in the US it might as well be. It's my favorite "common" cab though and IMO the best of the 90's generation cabs. Agreed that it's super comfortable, it's pretty much perfect ergonomically for me

Nice work. I'm much lazier than you when it comes to my cabs, I take care of the monitors, put nice control panels on them, and then call it a day. Never bothered to totally strip and clean like that.

Nice log, thanks for sharing! @Aurich I kinda did the same when I got my NAC. When I got it, it was meant to be at my parents place temporarily, however this became a bit longer than expected. When I finally had it moved to its more permanent location and got around to properly clean it, I was well let's say surprised in a negative way with all the grime and what seemed like dried up coca cola inside... will never make that mistake again, it was gross :D

Nice work. I'm much lazier than you when it comes to my cabs, I take care of the monitors, put nice control panels on them, and then call it a day. Never bothered to totally strip and clean like that.
I would really have rather not done it but it was on some other level of filth and I didn't want to bring something like that inside the house

I know that feeling. Having stripped down and deep-cleaned several Jap import cabs there's nothing more disgusting than the foul smelling brown liquid that drips off the cabs when you clean them with hot soapy water.

All brackets and other metal parts cleaned, this took a few hours a day for two days, way more annoying than cleaning the large main cabinet parts. The harness is pretty dirty too but I think I'm just going to leave it alone

4ZmLmG7.jpg

Every screw laid out and ready for reassembly

cS5ZR8H.jpg

Nice! If you're going this far I'd clean the harness as well. It's not that much work and you've got the cab dismantled now anyways, better do it right as it's the right time for it :)

Nice! If you're going this far I'd clean the harness as well. It's not that much work and you've got the cab dismantled now anyways, better do it right as it's the right time for it :)
yeah might do it before putting the cab together, was just sick of smelling simple green and wanted the cleaning to be over

Nice work. Cab and monitor look awesome.

I know the feeling of cleaning, I got some CPS2 A and B boards along full of roach crap and spent time cleaning these along with 2 dreamcasts. Took forever and was tedious work.

The japanese love to smoke them cigs. Every candy cabinet i've bought reeks in cigarette smell and gunk. I dunno how much you paid for that cabinet, but if it was squeaky clean...you probably would have paid way more.

Edit: BTW try to hit those cig stains with a magic eraser. I had some on my Blast City as well and the magic eraser helped remove them quite easily.

Last edited:
Cab is back together

zI9hLQ5.jpg

With a new 1L6B repro by @alberto1225 to replace the original faded and rusting/peeling one

GtNl559.jpg

I covered up the cigarette burns with scotch tape painted with some automotive touch-up paint I found lying around until I can figure out a more permanent solution

Back