What's new

yavuzg

Professional
Reaction score
I've bought this board knowing it has issues with sprites. According to the seller the sprites were missing. I've fixed the missing sprite issue. It was actually a sprite - background priority issue (sprites were drawn "behind" the background tiles) and the culprit was a physical damage on one of the legs of the 053251 custom chip.

Anyway, the game is now playable without any obvious issues.

IMG_4324.JPG

IMG_4325.JPG

IMG_4333.JPG

... then I noticed some of the graphics has color glitches...

IMG_4335.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

The color chart on the test menu shows this...

IMG_4323.JPG

I've checked the palette RAMs out of circuit, they checked out OK. Also the MASK rom tests checked out OK (Although how reliable those self-tests on these Konami boards are debatable).

What might me the problem?

SOLVED!

Examined the customs with magnifier, found a tiny solder bridge on 054157 custom. :) (My bad)

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

Now I have a perfectly working Asterix!

I love Asterix comic books btw. I've read them over and over again, may be 100 times :) when I was a kid... I've always felt hungry after reading them (remember the village feast at the end of all stories)

Nice to see another Asterix working well, I loved the comics when I was younger and recently got lucky and picked up the boardset at a reasonable price :)

Nice work on the repair

Love this game, love the comics!
Btw did you know a new comic was released just a few weeks ago? Reading it as we speak ;)

Btw did you know a new comic was released just a few weeks ago? Reading it as we speak ;)
No, I didn't know they are still publishing new episodes. I only read the original comics from 60's 70's when I was a kid (late 70's early 80's). Who is drawing it I wonder, still Uderzo?

There is a new comic every 2-3 years I think, some are good, some not so.

Drawings are done now by a guy names Didier Conrad.

Here is a list of all book with their English titles;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix

1. Asterix the Gaul (1961)[17]
  2. Asterix and the Golden Sickle (1962)[17]
  3. Asterix and the Goths (1963)[17]
  4. Asterix the Gladiator (1964)[17]
  5. Asterix and the Banquet (1965)[17]
  6. Asterix and Cleopatra (1965)[17]
  7. Asterix and the Big Fight (1966)[17]
  8. Asterix in Britain (1966)[17]
  9. Asterix and the Normans (1966)[17]
  10. Asterix the Legionary (1967)[17]
  11. Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield (1968)[17]
  12. Asterix at the Olympic Games (1968)[17]
  13. Asterix and the Cauldron (1969)[17]
  14. Asterix in Spain (1969)[17]
  15. Asterix and the Roman Agent (1970)[17]
  16. Asterix in Switzerland (1970)[17]
  17. The Mansions of the Gods (1971)[17]
  18. Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (1972)[17]
  19. Asterix and the Soothsayer (1972)[17]
  20. Asterix in Corsica (1973)[17]
  21. Asterix and Caesar's Gift (1974)[17]
  22. Asterix and the Great Crossing (1975)[17]
  23. Obelix and Co. (1976)[17]
  24. Asterix in Belgium (1979)[17]
  25. Asterix and the Great Divide (1980)[17]
  26. Asterix and the Black Gold (1981)[17]
  27. Asterix and Son (1983)[17]
  28. Asterix and the Magic Carpet (1987)[17]
  29. Asterix and the Secret Weapon (1991)[17]
  30. Asterix and Obelix All at Sea (1996)
  31. Asterix and the Actress (2001)
  32. Asterix and the Class Act (2003)
  33. Asterix and the Falling Sky (2005)
  34. Asterix and Obelix's Birthday: The Golden Book (2009)[18]
  35. Asterix and the Picts (2013)
  36. Asterix and the Missing Scroll (2015)
  37. Asterix and the Chariot Race (2017)
Non-canonical volumes:

I've read up to number 30, will need to see about finding the rest to read :)

I've read up to number 30, will need to see about finding the rest to read :)
I used to have the big hard cover versions. One of my fond memories from childhood was lying my bed next to the window and read the comic while having a chicken sandwich :)

Now after @PascalP said the new comics, I searched the local online bookstore (not Amazon) to buy some new comics, I sadly saw they only have e-book versions... :(

I'll look for the hard copy versions instead of the e-book BS...

Not sure about hardcopy versions or collections.
I have all books as individual paperback in Dutch

The ones I had in my childhood was authorized copies printed by one of the largest bookshop in Turkey and they were in Turkish. Those were like bigger than A4 size and had hard cover. They were more elegant (and expensive) than the usual comics you can find on the corner newspaper stand ;)

Also, one funny thing about the translation was that Asterix was Asteriks but the rest of the characters had different funny names. Like Obelix was Hopdediks :P

I wonder if that was the case in the Dutch translations...

The ones I had in my childhood was authorized copies printed by one of the largest bookshop in Turkey and they were in Turkish. Those were like bigger than A4 size and had hard cover. They were more elegant (and expensive) than the usual comics you can find on the corner newspaper stand ;)

Also, one funny thing about the translation was that Asterix was Asteriks but the rest of the characters had different funny names. Like Obelix was Hopdediks :P

I wonder if that was the case in the Dutch translations...
well in Dutch Asterix, Obelix and Idefix have the same names, but other folks like the bard and the town chief have slightly different names.
Also I bought some reprints of early comics which got lost, and I noticed that the names of the bard and town chief are different between the early prints and newer prints...
Early prints the bard was called Assurancetourix (like the original French), but later prints it is Kakofonix, same for the town chief who changed from the original Abraracourcix to Heroïx

Back