What's new
Thanks, I hope that does the trick. I've noticed my TL866CS does those, so I'll give it a shot. Will be a while before reporting back I think though..

Burnt the 12 ROM's, put a piece of wire on PA4, switched the resistor from PB3 to PB4 (4 to 8MB), but getting garbled graphics. I have the /1 squash PCB, any ideas?
Have you tried to install the new PAL? It might be useful for /1 board.
Hello,

I have installed the new PAL/GAL supplied with the file but the game plays with EXACTLY the same graphics corruption.Makes no noticeable difference.
Now i have the proper 27c801 EEPROMs, i just need some time to get them installed on my /1 pcb, and test Squash on /1 pcb along with that wire patch.

Have a good night, Dragos.

Ah, that's too bad :(

I have burnt them on 27C4001 chips, should that make a difference?

Edit: scratch that, 040 and 4001 are often different pinouts. You'll need to confirm by checking the datasheets.

I wonder if the issues others have had is pinout incompatibility, given the stupid numbering system on 4mbit EPROMs it's entirely possible.

@Apocalypse I wonder if the /1 and /2 boards use different EPROM types

Last edited:
There are some differences but the addresses are the same when I compare the datasheets, I'll let somebody more knowledgeable confirm if I made a mistake by burning the 27C4001 ROMS instead of the 27C040 :$

To be exact, I have the M27C4001-10F1 by ST.

27C040 and 27C4001 are the same 4Mbit 32 pin EPROM devices, they have identical pinout.

Last edited:
Giving the fact Squash /1 ROMs work on /2 boards and vice versa I'd think it's something to do with jumpers or a minor hardware difference between boards (not affecting Squash but important for BMT).

Thanks for confirming @caius.

@Apocalypse now that the GAL has basically been ruled out, that seems pretty likely. Only question remains is then, where to start... :)

Okay, thanks for the info so far in any case, appreciate it.

Funny thing that @mr3xtraball mentioned as well is when you remove/add the wire patch the glitches move from background gfx issues to sprite gfx issues. Should you combine the two I think it'd look pretty good :)

Okay, thanks for the info so far in any case, appreciate it.

Funny thing that @mr3xtraball mentioned as well is when you remove/add the wire patch the glitches move from background gfx issues to sprite gfx issues. Should you combine the two I think it'd look pretty good :)
Vey interesting indeed. It shouldn't be too complicated to fix. First I'd probe the jumper to see where it goes. I bet a trace has to be cut somewhere or a wire has to be installed for chip selection (/CE signal).

Hi all,
On my Squash I didn't find any resistance in G4 to move to the left.
Do I have to put one ?
If yes, what value ?
Thanks

Auto reply
I have a /2 PCB
And I found a wire under the PCB that connects PA4 to a TL close to G4
I removed it and TADA :D now everything works smoothly
Thanks to everyone

Interesting, yours works without a resistor at all? So how does it select the 4MB or 8MB option?

I think that instaed of a resistor they (It seems a factory fix) put a wire under the PCB.
Here a pic
Screenshot_20180509-125427-01.jpeg

Nice find, I just checked but don't have that wire on my /1. Enjoy the game, seems cool :)

@Apocalypse I was having a dull moment. I was switching the resistor in PB4, not G4. I actually don't have any resistors in G4 so that might be the problem. Can you check the value of the resistor and to which pins it goes please? Or maybe you can @Yippikaye? I have a feeling it might have something to do with that weird patch wire I have? Thanks!

I didn't find a resistor in PC2 to move to the left, so I put a wire in PC1
As I did for the PA4 position.
I'll make pictures, just a sec

Back