What's new
First sync isn't a perfect 60Hz (more 59 IIRC).
Second sync signal is a bit low for JAMMA standard.

First sync isn't a perfect 60Hz (more 59 IIRC).
Second sync signal is a bit low for JAMMA standard.
Cool that's what I figured, which is why I haven't done it yet... still have pcb work on this one - I need to replace my amp, it's touchy. This is also just my office/test rig so I'll fiddle with it once I actually set it up to play for real. Thanks for confirming!

Hello,

After a silence for a while, i have returned with some more info, regarding of course, the gaelco PCB's and especially Biomechanical toy game.
The news are half good and half bad.The good one is that i have found what is the difference between /1 and /2 boards.The bad news is that Biomechanical toy WONT run on /1 PCB, at least the patched ROM set that is available on this forum.
The differences between the two boards, apart from the different set of jumpers, are (surprising?) the two FPGA's on each board.They are programmed different on /1 vs /2.Thankyou gaelco.
In the process of finding this, i have succeeded of frying my /2 pcb, most of the GAL's on it + perhaps some other things - it wont boot anymore.Life is a bitch........
If anyone want more detailed info about my findings, plz shoot.

cheers, Dragos.

Hi @mr3xtraball,

can you please elaborate a little bit more how you reached that conclussion? Did you transplant the FPGA from one PCB to the other? Some FPGA have the code store externally in a memory and some others have it internally.

Thanks.

P.S. Pinging @Apocalypse

Yes, please share your findings. Maybe the roms can be patched to work with both board revisions, or have an alternate set of roms.

Hello,

Indeed i have transplanted the FPGA's from /1 --->>> /2 PCBs and viceversa. The graphic issues moved along with the FPGA's (/1).
You are thinking in too modern times.Back in the times FPGA's, especially ACTEL, TI and QuickLogic were programmed by blowing fuses "polyfuse" .

I was semi-lucky, because while i was doing tests with /2 pcb (with the /1 FPGA's), my PSU suddenly entered overcurrent/voltage protection for no apparent reason, on next power up, the most GAL's were burning, and the board was dead..........
Now i have the two /2 FPGA's running happily Biomechanical toy on /1 board.The other board is toast.
Pfff, life sucks......

cheers, Dragos.

Too bad one board is fried, but hey at least 1 is running now. Respect for that, I wouldn't have figured that out myself. I didn't find a /2 boardset yet.

There are some ancient programmers that support these old FPGA like the TPC1020AFN-084 used on Gaelco hardware.In theory it would be possible to dump code ( provided they are not secured) in order to program new ones.

Go on....

giphy.gif

Hello,

Oh, and i forgot another detail worth mentioning: My Squash ROMset running on /2 PCB, wont run on /1 PCB, it gives a quick flash, then a matrix of dots, then nothing...... So clearly the software does some bootup checks, and it doesn't like the new "host" HW :(
For the record, about the jumper settings, we all were chasing our own tail: the jumpers has nothing to do with the encryption, just setting the correct ROM size. If the jumpers are set correct, the game should work, which it didn't, pointing out that there's something involved, which it IS. :evil:
@caius : In my oppinion, it is not economic to reprogram those two FPGAs, first you need to source a blank/unprogrammed chip, then you need the programmer, then you need to solder it.The Software patch is the way to go.

Have a nice weekend, Dragos.

Are the FPGA’s bound to the motherboard type or the game it’s running?
I have a dead rev1 Thunderhoop and a woking rev1 Squash.
I want to put the Thunderhoop roms on the Squash pcb.

I think @mr3xtraball worked out it's both. His /2 Squash ROMs wouldn't run on the /1 PCB

I guess if you've got a dead TH board it certainly can't hurt to try it though. What's wrong with TH?

I’ll certainly give it a try, but I’m not looking forward to transplanting those FPGA’s :/
The TH board has a black screen and burning hot gals.

Rom swap only gives me a black screen.
The TH roms check out fine.
So I’ll try a fresh set of gals next.

was it ever established if this conversion would work on a /2 thunderforce pcb?

It appears the seller has swapped boards over and sent TH (labelled as squash).

Funny he's not responding to my emails and as it was PP gift no chance of a refund.

Which conversion? Biomechanical Toy only works on the /2 PCB

I don't think Thunder Hoop runs on /2 and I don't know if Trol got anywhere with it

Which seller sold you the board? eBay or a seller here?

Still working on it... my pos Top3000 won't program gals...
What I'm trying to do is get. Thunderhoop running on a rev.1 Squash, so no rev. 2 involved here.

board has ref 922804/2 screenprinted on it.

Chips are all socketed and have silver labels C1,C3,D16,D18,H6/7/9/10 & J6/7/9/10 handwritten on them.

Has 24mhz crystals and a 12mhz 68000 fitted so would be a simple mod if right pcb.

Bought from a french seller on Jamma+ just before site shut....

Oddly it uses 27C408 for most roms, with a 27C020 & 27C040 for 16&18.

Last edited:
Back