What's new
and its running Thunderhoop?
Could you take a picture of the Board?

TH running on /2 PCB - the audio amp has been replaced at some stage in it's life but no other mods spotted, all rom sockets look factory fitted.

DSC05803.JPG

Is it actually working though? You seemed to imply further up that there were issues

Is it actually working though? You seemed to imply further up that there were issues
It's running fine as TH - not tried the conversion yet as it's using 27C408's and I'm waiting for some more 27C040's to turn up from China.

I didn't think TH was on a /2 PCB - I'll dump the roms and check them against MAME.

Could be a unknown dump, so would be cool to know, and if it's a different set, get it into MAME as well.

Trol had issues with his 3000 so he sent some GALs to me, i got a little further in programming the 16V8 at least but the 20v8 always errors on verify, L320 and up fail on verify :(

If anyone has the top3000 working with GAL20V8 please chime in :)
And yes i've noticed you can use / edit the device3000.lst file and change/add devices vpp, vcc and algo's used, but i still could not get it to write the 20v8 even with external power supply.

I've just bought a second-hand Dataman 40 Pro - will that burn it?

Only got it working Friday (no 15V PSU came with it) as I was after something better than my GQ-4X and my MiniPro TL866CS (The GQ-4X cant do PAL/GAL's - the 866 can) so I don't need to keep swapping them over.

By Jumpers are you referring to the 8M/4M pads near C1/C3 and just above J6?

Could be a unknown dump, so would be cool to know, and if it's a different set, get it into MAME as well.

Trol had issues with his 3000 so he sent some GALs to me, i got a little further in programming the 16V8 at least but the 20v8 always errors on verify, L320 and up fail on verify :(

And yes i've noticed you can use / edit the device3000.lst file and change/add devices vpp, vcc and algo's used, but i still could not get it to write the 20v8 even with external power supply.
I’m pretty sure I could program a 20v8 with my top3000 but it was such an inconsistent event that I bought a xeltek 610p.

GALs on the top3000 were a pain for me.

I use a TOP3000 everyday and do program a lot of GALs with it no issue. The first batches of all the kits I've made were programmed with it.
GAL20V8s cause no problem for me.
Also I've never had to use the external power supply.
Few more info:
- Although in the device list 27C1000s (1Mb, non jedec, DIP28) require an adapter to swap /OE and A16 pins (2 and 20)
- Editing device list never had any impact for me. I even measured Vpp for a device I modified but saw no changes
- Funny enough I bought this programmer while my venerable Dataman48 was in storage as an acceptable backup solution. It's been more than 3 (4?) years the TOP3000 sits permanently on my desk (it's much smaller than the Dataman).

It's running fine as TH - not tried the conversion yet as it's using 27C408's and I'm waiting for some more 27C040's to turn up from China.
I didn't think TH was on a /2 PCB - I'll dump the roms and check them against MAME.
What's a 27C408? I'm not familiar with that

Cool that you've got TH running on a /2 PCB, I guess because the /2 doesn't have decryption on it? It would still have needed a lot of work to get it happening so it would be good to get a dump of the PALs and EPROMs on that board

Nice find!

I haven't a clue - I had to double-check the printing on the chips but it definitely states.

TMA JL
27C408-15
E9218 036
Singapore
ZX4882JL

Roms 16 & 18 are TMS and I can find the datasheets - but these TMA chips don't seem to exist anywhere - I've googled, checked the supported chips for all four of my programmers and nothing....

The only reference I can find is an old thread on KLOVS where someone was asking what they are and no-one knew.

I assume they're not 27C040's as they used one for D18. The Jumpers are set for 4M for all banks.

I suppose I need to get program BMT and try those roms in the same sockets and see what happens - if it works then they're pin equivalent to 27C040's

I'd say they are 27C040 compatible since that's what goes onto these boards, never heard of them though. Pretty cool.

Don't erase the existing chips without confirming they're properly dumped first though since this is as far as I know the first time we've seen a /2 PCB running Thunder Hoop

Finally managed to get a /2 Squash PCB and today I removed all the mask ROMs and socketed installed sockets across the board.

Now tracking down a heap of 4mbit ROMs and should hopefully have this up and running today!

Apart from being time consuming, as long as you have a vacuum desoldering gun it's not too bad. The ground pins are the worst but nowhere near as bad as Taito boards

Last edited:
The plot thickens....

Using the online romident it correctly identifies D16 & D18 as ThunderHoop V1 - but cannot ID any of the other roms.

Anyone want to try them on their /2 motherboard? all the rom-size resistors are the same as BMT, the PC1/PC2 resistor is the same as Squash.

I've attached all the rom images to this post....

BTW the TMA27C408's are TMS E27C040's - it's printed on the bottom of the chip - DOH!

This would have been looked at a whole load quicker if the AMD 27C040's I bought from China hadn't been re-printed random eproms and I had to wait until after Chinese new-year for the seller to replace them.

Attachments

• TH-cx.zip
    908.5 KB · Views: 193
  • TH-hx.zip
    881.7 KB · Views: 203
  • TH-jx.zip
    866.3 KB · Views: 207
  • TH-dx.zip
    214.7 KB · Views: 188
Ok so I've completed the conversion, it works but I have another issue.

The RGB lines are really horribly weak so I have them ramped right up via the Supergun. It works but I noticed that a ULM2064 has been removed from the board or more likely was never installed to start with (the through holes are completely empty)

Do I need to find one of these and put it on?

Yeah you have it populated. I think I'll find one and populate it

It looks to be connected to the coin counters and coin lockouts. I doubt if its needed.

On my world rally 2, the rgb is weak too, i just turn up the monitor. I think it's a Gaelco thing...

It looks to be connected to the coin counters and coin lockouts. I doubt if its needed.
Yes, the component is a Darlington array for coin counters/lockouts hence it can be the cause of the color issue.The problem coud be due to a missing VIDEO GROUND connection, sometimes Gaelco forgot to tie the COMMON GROUND to it.So, try to wire pin 14 parts side of the JAMMA edge connector to pin 1-2 or 27-28.

Back