What's new

Dreygor

Grand Master
Reaction score
So like so many others out there i was wondering what all could be done with my TTX2. How far can it be stretched .. what all can it do ... what are it's limitations?

Well the first stop on this path led me into trying PlayStation emulators. I chose this because I am a huge fan of fighting games and SHMUPs .. which there are a ton of on the PS1.

First off let me thank @Niko, @zoda, @corey and @atrfate. Without those four I would not have been able to accomplish even this much.

The back end uses PSX 1.13 emulator, and I had a devil of a time getting anything else to run as the TTX2 operating system (Windows XP embedded with SP2) is VERY stripped down and you are very limited as to what it will do. I am looking at possibly trying some other PSX emulators that have a few more options, but at this point they are not easy to set up as PSX 1.13 and have caused other issues.

So here is the video, please forgive my bad playing as I was trying to show it booting, starting, both players working, and exiting back out to Niko's front end.

I am not sure how or if I am going to share this out .. it may be easier for me to write a step by step guide on how to build this out and add games because there are soooooo many PS1 games that fit this platform. The main limitation is using games that use six or less buttons per player. I really want to get as many people interested in this and open the flood gates as to what can be done while we wait for the Nesica live release, and beyond.

-Drey

is that awesome or What?
How can we get more psx games working?

@Dreygor, I got your PM. Raystorm I have on the Taito G Net board. No need to emulate.

But brutha, I'll be the first one to demo this if you can get me the two shmups on the PSX that are available there and nowhere else:
  1. Einhander
  2. R-Type Delta

@[u]@Dreygor[/u], I got your PM. Raystorm I have on the Taito G Net board. No need to emulate.

But brutha, I'll be the first one to demo this if you can get me the two shmups on the PSX that are available there and nowhere else:
  1. Einhander
  2. R-Type Delta
I think those are do-able. I would have to build it out and test them however. I have found that what games run is random. A good example is Tekken 1 and 3 run just fine but Tekken 2 does not.

Also as a side note I have been tinkering with that build of Primal Rage 2 that's floating around and I can get the game to boot on the TTX2 with no problem but for some reason it ignores anything from the JVS. I can use the keyboard but not my control panel .. very odd. Won't be a total loss if it doesn't work as the game isn't that great. I just wanted to try it.

7d425b65f5aa79b5a999c3b503a72d68e7b9e5b5129310d7eec48f73e11b2835.jpg

this is so cool and the possibilities seem endless!
Way beyond my skills but I hope you keep up the good work and with everyone's support we can all benefit from it at some point :thumbsup:

@[u]@Dreygor[/u], I got your PM. Raystorm I have on the Taito G Net board. No need to emulate.

1. Einhander
  2. R-Type Delta
Whew Einhander is going to take some control trickery to make it work.

L2 - Decelerate
R2 - Accelerate
L1 - Switch gunpod
R1 - Switch gunpod
Select - Toggle HUD on/off
Start - Pause game
Directionals - Navigate Fighter
triangle - (not used)
square - fire weapon 1
O - Switch weapon 2 / cancel
X - Fire weapon 2 / execute

Looking at the PS1 controller you see how it's laid out
PSX-Original-Controller.png

Soooo I have 6 buttons and a start to work with..

Directional - that's the easy part

Button 1: square - fire weapon 1
Button 2: triangle - (not used) .. Since it's not used mapping L1 - Switch gunpod (also what R1 does)
Button 3: R2 - Accelerate
Button 4: X - Fire weapon 2 / execute
Button 5: O - Switch weapon 2 / cancel
Button 6: L2 - Decelerate

Start - will still pause the game .. as annoying as that is. If I re-map it you wont have a start button

Select - Won't be mapped

Would look like this..

Einhander_CP.png

And P1 Start and P1 Button 1 hit at the same time will exit to Niko's front end.

I will work on this more later tonight after work.

Do R-Type Delta first then. Movement>Perfection.
I plan on knocking them both out tonight lol .. along with another very rare shooter Time Bokan - Yattaman. The only thing that really takes time is mapping out the controls now that I have the basic frame work done.

I could use a copy of the manual for R-Type Delta to verify the controls.

Last edited:
I could use a copy of the manual for R-Type Delta to verify the controls.
2. Controls------------Adjust the controls in the option screen.My config was this.X - rapid fire[](hold) - wave cannonO - fire probe/_\ - use delta weaponr2 - speed upr1 - speed downarrows - move ship
From the looks of it, doesn't seem much easier than Einhander.

Yep look about the same. I will map them both out and test it tonight. I wonder if you remap it while your playing via the game menu if it will save. If you can that means they can be remapped to whatever you want. You wont be stuck with the JVS settings.

Also as a side note I have been tinkering with that build of Primal Rage 2 that's floating around and I can get the game to boot on the TTX2 with no problem but for some reason it ignores anything from the JVS
That's pretty awesome dude. Is it running on Mame4Rage2?

Also as a side note I have been tinkering with that build of Primal Rage 2 that's floating around and I can get the game to boot on the TTX2 with no problem but for some reason it ignores anything from the JVS
That's pretty awesome dude. Is it running on Mame4Rage2?
Yep but it seems to hate JVS inputs. I will work more on it later in between working and tinkering on other stuff. The game feels like a cross between the original Primal Rage and Clay Fighters on the N64.

Speaking of which two things I want to attempt is getting individual MAME and N64 games running from Niko's menu. I would love to have the N64 version of Killer Instinct or Super Smash Bros running .. that would be awesome!

Last edited:
I have been tinkering with that build of Primal Rage 2 that's floating around...
I've played quite a bit of PR2 on the MAME4RAGE2 emulator.

Just an FYI...
While it's very playable there's a game breaking bug in the emulation. I forget exactly what triggers it but during the continue screen (IIRC I believe if you die and you don't continue fast enough) the game locks up and you must kill the process to get out of it. I forget if it was a 1 player or 2 player problem (it's been a while) but I recall that between matches I had to be careful not to lock up the game.

I actually really like PR2 but I don't even have it setup on the menu in my MAME cabinet due to this bug.

I have been tinkering with that build of Primal Rage 2 that's floating around...
I've played quite a bit of PR2 on the MAME4RAGE2 emulator.
Just an FYI...
While it's very playable there's a game breaking bug in the emulation. I forget exactly what triggers it but during the continue screen (IIRC I believe if you die and you don't continue fast enough) the game locks up and you must kill the process to get out of it. I forget if it was a 1 player or 2 player problem (it's been a while) but I recall that between matches I had to be careful not to lock up the game.

I actually really like PR2 but I don't even have it setup on the menu in my MAME cabinet due to this bug.
Thanks! Good to know. Once I can get the JVS to work with it, it continues running in the back ground so if the game locks up you should be able to exit/escape and reboot it. Not ideal .. but it is what it is.

I gave another look into the Contra Evolution Revolution game game from Konami.

So I can get it to boot on my Windows XP SP2 test VBOX but it won't boot on the TTX2 itself. I can get the JVS to load and I have that set up to the controls on the game but the game stall out regardless of what boot option for the game I use .. no security .. windowed .. full screen .. with the JVS .. without the JVS ... nothing works. I am also working with a dirty patched image.

Then I can pull the hard drive from the TTX2 and plug it into the Windows XP machine and the game boots fine and is playable with the keyboard.

I may step away from this for a minute and look at Otomedius.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On another front I was also messing around with MAME a little and I am having an issue with MAME not being able to find the game files when everything is installed on the game drive (E:) . It was suggested to me to try to install MAME and the game files on another drive and just use the folders off the game drive to launch / point to the executable folder on another drive.

I will try that this weekend.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I did try to get Jamestown to boot up and this is frustrating. I moved a stand alone folder to my WinXP VBOX and tracked down every DLL file it was asking for but now I just get an error saying it was not installed correctly .. which is weird because in Dependency Walker everything is green and satisfied but still a no go.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I did set up some more PS1 games. These can be done all day long. In most cases I can just use my generic PSX JVS file but in some cases like Einhander it needs to be modified slightly. So far the only game I have tried but can not seem to get to run is Tekken 2. It might be the image .. not sure. I am still not 100% happy with how PSX 1.13 handles things .. but it works and is easy to set up.

.... Well that's the state of things after working on it for a few days. I am hoping this weekend to post a detailed guide (with Pictures) on how to set up a WindowsXP VBOX , set up and use AHK, and how to use Niko's / Cory's JVS-Keyboard tool. No promises .. I get side tracked easy.

-Drey

I am hoping this weekend to post a detailed guide (with Pictures) on how to set up a WindowsXP VBOX , set up and use AHK, and how to use Niko's / Cory's JVS-Keyboard tool. No promises .. I get side tracked easy.
This would be really nice.

Soooo this past weekend / last couple of days have not gone as planned been sick with a sinus infection. So I did not get as much done as I hoped I would.

However before all that went down I did manage to get the TTX2 to run Nintendo GameCube games. This is not all good news. While it will run them it does not do it very well. I booted up the GameCube version of Ikaruga and it plays it horribly sloooooooooow. In addition sometimes settings save .. sometimes they don't. The settings are saved on the C drive and I had to manually create the folders it needed. I think given how bad games run I will not invest any more time into this path. BUT it does give me an idea of the limitation of the TTX2.

I have seen videos of TTX2 machines running MAME off of a USB drive with controls and everything I am looking into how this is accomplished .. but once again there are issues with how the settings are saved. I have tried running MAME off the D drive with launching it from Niko's front end on the E drive and I am still having the same settings issues (IE it screams it cant find the rom directory and that the video is set incorrectly). I can command line my way to the executables and make thing launch and work but it will NOT launch or use settings when launched from the E drive.

Here is at the command line

Here is in MAME

Here is launching Mazinger from MAME

Here is at commandline launching Tekken Tag Tournament with a single line command

here is Tekken tag working (allthough not very well .. but was testing it)

Open to ideas if anyone has any! Been talking back and forth with atrfate and Niko.

FYI Tekken 3 runs ok but Tekken Tag Tournament is VERY choppy.

The C partition is protected by Enabled Write Filter. Do not use ewfmgr c: -commit with Niko's multi as it is not setup in a way that will survive a commit. You will need to save to either the D or E partitions to retain data.

Back