What's new
Maybe not enough for someone to want to devote time to this, but just maybe, who knows.
It might be a good idea for us to make the folks working on it previously aware of this thread. I'm just not sure how. I feel weird linking the AO progress thread here, but I also feel weird calling out those users here (at least a pair of them are on this site too) because I don't want them to feel obligated in any way.

Perhaps the bounty should be split into milestones?

That way small advances could be made, getting us closer to that final goal...
While still being attractive to the skilled, but time limited hacker.

Might also be a way to award the confirmed progress already made by some of the above mentioned people?

Maybe ping Bob (retroRGB YouTube podcast)so he can announce the CPS Bounty on his next podcast this Wednesday?
Good idea! @SmokeMonster can you take care of this?
I actually emailed this thread to him last Wednesday night! No promises that it will be in the news, but it has the ring of something he'd be interested in :D
I'll email him as well, see if we can nudge him to make a worthy mention.

Perhaps the bounty should be split into milestones?

That way small advances could be made, getting us closer to that final goal...
While still being attractive to the skilled, but time limited hacker.

Might also be a way to award the confirmed progress already made by some of the above mentioned people?
That's why I left that bit in there about if we need to re-arrange how things are doled out we will.

If we get to a point where someone needs something they don't have, or someone makes a break-through on a particular point, something else pops up we'll figure it out for sure. How, I don't know, but as a collective we can figure it out for sure. We also don't have any progress or even someone saying they're considering taking it farther, so we don't really need to be too worried yet :).

IMG_9136.JPG

paxton-main.jpg

Count me in for €25 as well. (Yes, i've worked on this, no i won't be working on it any time soon.)

Some q's:

- This is becoming quite a sizeable chunk of money. Who is handling the collection and distribution of this dough?
- How are we handling milestones? Have we set any?
- These games have some nasty protection which causes the game(s) to malfunction (enemies die randomly, low energy, invincible..). Do we really want to see effort spent on say, Oceana versions of these games? Would USA/Japan not be enough?
- Will there be some 'after care' as possibly not all protection cases might be found & solved?

(Side note: Funny thing is, i remember 'Callus' the archetype cps1 emulator had this cps1.5 problem as well with the enemies dying in Punisher. Not sure how they fixed it.)

- These games have some nasty protection which causes the game(s) to malfunction (enemies die randomly, low energy, invincible..). Do we really want to see effort spent on say, Oceana versions of these games? Would USA/Japan not be enough?

- Will there be some 'after care' as possibly not all protection cases might be found & solved?

(Side note: Funny thing is, i remember 'Callus' the archetype cps1 emulator had this cps1.5 problem as well with the enemies dying in Punisher. Not sure how they fixed it.)
Protections have been circumvented when desuicide sets were created so it's not an issue anymore.

Count me in for €25 as well. (Yes, i've worked on this, no i won't be working on it any time soon.)

Some q's:

- This is becoming quite a sizeable chunk of money. Who is handling the collection and distribution of this dough?

1) I suppose that's probably me since I started this. No collections until there's something tangible, and distribution is dependent on the group's decision-making as things arise, unless someone just pops up with a fully working set, then it's just all to them in one shot.

2) We can't really set milestones aside from maybe percentage of games/regions working. I mean, from an outsider's standpoint, there aren't really milestones aside from not working and working. If someone who's worked on it previously would care to give more information, and suggest milestones that would be one thing, but the majority of us are in the "I'd like this to happen, some people tried before" camp, with no real working knowledge of what needs to be done vs what has been done already.

3) The goal is every region of every game working.

4) Can't speak to that. Like I'd said before, we don't have anyone working on this, so it's nearly impossible to speak to what a potential developer may or may not do. When someone steps up with intent to handle it, or has something in hand, we can ask them questions then :).

@Apocalypse

Leo & Me used the desuicided sets and the protection or checks were not nullified. When the program was changed, the fixes didn't work anymore. It would require reversing & comparing both sets to figure out whatever we missed. Same goes for C&D and the others.

@rewrite Understood. I hope someone comes forward, i'd love to play all these properly :)

@Apocalypse

Leo & Me used the desuicided sets and the protection or checks were not nullified. When the program was changed, the fixes didn't work anymore. It would require reversing & comparing both sets to figure out whatever we missed. Same goes for C&D and the others.

@rewrite Understood. I hope someone comes forward, i'd love to play all these properly :)
Well I used my desuicided version of C&D (World) and didn't encounter any protection issue.

Some q's:

1) I suppose that's probably me since I started this. No collections until there's something tangible, and distribution is dependent on the group's decision-making as things arise, unless someone just pops up with a fully working set, then it's just all to them in one shot.
2) We can't really set milestones aside from maybe percentage of games/regions working. I mean, from an outsider's standpoint, there aren't really milestones aside from not working and working. If someone who's worked on it previously would care to give more information, and suggest milestones that would be one thing, but the majority of us are in the "I'd like this to happen, some people tried before" camp, with no real working knowledge of what needs to be done vs what has been done already.

3) The goal is every region of every game working.

4) Can't speak to that. Like I'd said before, we don't have anyone working on this, so it's nearly impossible to speak to what a potential developer may or may not do. When someone steps up with intent to handle it, or has something in hand, we can ask them questions then :).
1) @rewrite no offense, but this is becoming a big chunk of money, so Mitsurugi and myself will take care of the money part, specially because only a small group of testers will have access to the game before committing to buy and we don't want this to spread. We will provide paypal confirmation of the money sent to the people who pledged for everyone's peace of mind.
2) I am talking with the only person that I know has been able to successfully made such a conversion, which is neocps1. He sent me 2 days ago a version of Punisher that works very well and currently has only 2 problems. After 3rd stage the player become invincible and some sprite priority issues in the last stage. He will fix those problems and send me a new version. He would like to have in exchange 1 cps2 multi + 1 metamorphic force + 1x Night slashers which all 3 are more or less valued about 1000 USD. I have seen the changes made and the work behind this and it's HUGE. It's a 2 month thing assuming you know what you are doing.
3) All known errors will be fixed and a bunch of testers will be able to test if before committing to buy it. Then it will be released to pledgers which will give their final saying and then it will be released.
4) Read above. Notice that this is the only game that can be converted using this method, the other remaining games make extensive use of the graphic chip and sprite priorities so they would need to have more modifications in the code and graphics like:
* Split scroll layers.
* Lower priority stay scrolls the other must be converted to scrolls made of sprites
* Sync all.
* Take care about palette effects at the same time
But this conversion will help to the person taking this further as a bigger part of the job will be already done.

The debate is open. Feel free to comment and keep it polite please.

I think it is good that DS and Mitsu acts as 'thrustworthy' middleman (no offense @rewrite) ;)

Also quite interesting progress regarding the Punisher DS mentions in point #2!

Back