What's new
I never thought about it or looked into it before and had always just assumed in the back of my mind, that Capcom had individual region coding for each release, rather than one specific regions release containing the code for multiple regions in the one place (which were simply disabled )
This was widely used by other game companies even for their home consoles such as Sega (Master System, Megadrive, etc.).

Sent money to mike & neocps1, thanks to both of you guys the work is much appreciated! Also congrats on the babies you two!!! ;)

It may be worthwhile to add contributors' paypal to the OP as it took a little bit of digging to find them

on SFII CE how does one go about changing the dips? I'd like to be able to set it to freeplay.

@twistedsymphony You cannot outside of hex editing the romset. Also, the CE port has a lot more general sprite glitches (particularly shadows) that i have noticed compared to the Turbo port.

Very grateful to have CE. A wish-list of items to expand upon would include free-play and attract music.

Awesome work guys, would it be possible to include the latest version download links in the original post on the first page?

Awesome work guys, would it be possible to include the latest version download links in the original post on the first page?
If someone will link both the updated Multi and CPS2 B board versions of Punisher I'll update the first post.

The main post was updated with the link to the pre-patched multi version of Punisher.

If someone can put up a pre-patched version for B boards I will put that in the first post as well.

If we can end discussion of CPS1 conversions in this thread I would greatly appreciate it. I'm starting a thread to bunch all those together in a few minutes.

CPS1 games that have been converted to play on your CPS2 Multi

Last edited:
So does anybody have a guide for how to get started on conversions? It might be above my head, but it'd be interesting to dig into some of these, but I just don't really know where to start.

So does anybody have a guide for how to get started on conversions? It might be above my head, but it'd be interesting to dig into some of these, but I just don't really know where to start.
are you talking conversions in general or CPS1 specifically?

I mean there are some really simple conversions out there. At the most basic form it's a matter of programing some new EPROM chips, and swapping them out with the chips on your board. This is usually "region swap" conversions or "revision upgrades" that require only swapping out 1 chip to change say a Japanese Game to English, or convert from a 4-player version to a 2-player version, or update the game to a newer revision.

Intermediate conversions requires de-soldering the old chips on the board in order to remove them, some also require changing jumpers or programing new PAL chips.

Advanced conversions require modifying the game code that gets programmed to the new chips (usually to remove piracy protection) or PALs, and/or adding wires to the PCB or cutting traces on the PCB.

Most of the time for the more advanced conversions, people here rely on an expert to have figured out how to modify the game code and what new wiring needs to be done, once someone has made available modified game code it makes doing these conversions as easy as the simple or intermediate level conversions.

For CPS1, if the original and the end game use the same C-board then it's a simple conversion, but if they use different C-boards then the game code would need to be changed to support the different C-Board, Apocalypse and some others here can provide that game code to make it a simple conversion.

----
Here's a mini-guide:
To start you'll want to identify which chips you'll need and how many, look at your original PCB and check the model numbers, or if they don't have model numbers (such is the case with most Mask ROMs) you can see if the MAME source lists the model number of the chip, or you can check the number of pins and the size of the file (in the MAME ROM zip file) to determine what model chip would work. You'll want to look at this information in MAME for both the original game and the new game to compare them and understand the differences.

Next, if the game code needs to be patched or you need to program a new PAL chip then make sure you have those files in addition to the MAME ROMs.

From here you can either buy all the chips you need and a programmer that supports the chips you need to program (there are many models and not all of them can do all the chips, and some might require adapters for certain chips). Alternatively some people offer EPROM programming services and there are even professional services (such as https://www.buyicnow.com/) you can use so if you don't want to buy a programmer or can't afford one you can buy the chips pre-programmed with what you need.

Next you'll want to remove the old chips from your board (I use a chip lifter like this) and install the new ones.

Finally Double check that everything is inserted fully, in the right direction, and in the right location. cross your fingers and see if it works. :)

are you talking conversions in general or CPS1 specifically?
Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific. I was referring to the thread topic of converting CPS1.5 games (or regular CPS1 games) to run on the CPS2 multikit. I do some modern programming, but I've never really done much software hacking on old game hardware. I think it'd be interesting to make an attempt at converting some games in my free time, but I don't really even know how to start on it (and the start of a project before I have any knowledge of it to work with is always the hardest part for me).

I downloaded both version of The Punisher available here, and none seem to work on my multi. I get "Operation Failed" on the LCD screen whenever I try to boot the game. Do I need to update the firmware?

I downloaded both version of The Punisher available here, and none seem to work on my multi. I get "Operation Failed" on the LCD screen whenever I try to boot the game. Do I need to update the firmware?
When did you get your multi ?
The CP2multi version of Punisher works great on my multi btw thanks guys for your work

When did you get your multi ? The CP2multi version of Punisher works great on my multi btw thanks guys for your work
Back in November 2015 and I haven't done any firmware upgrades since then. I guess upgrading would solve the issue?

When did you get your multi ? The CP2multi version of Punisher works great on my multi btw thanks guys for your work
Back in November 2015 and I haven't done any firmware upgrades since then. I guess upgrading would solve the issue?
You shouldn't need to upgrade. I've got an old firmware and it works fine.

The files you're using should look like this, otherwise you might have have the version that works on standard CPS2 roms, rather than the multi
punisher.png

Back