What's new

aoiddr

Professional
Reaction score
I'm JVS modding a Mad Catz MC2 Racing Wheel (Xbox original version) so that it can hook to the Naomi and Chihiro to use with those racing games. I'm running into a problem with the Gas Pedal... it'll work, but it only ever goes at a slow speed and won't ever really give it the gas and drive (i.e. it'll go 30 mph, but not 100). The Steering Wheel seems to work like it should, and the Break Pedal instantly stops.

Thoughts on what I should be looking at with the wiring?

I notice that the default foot pedal wiring has a pair of resistors on the Ground wires in the foot pedals. I'm thinking that I need to remove those. The steering wheel doesn't have anything like that on it.

M4cxLfN.jpg

58E7cT3.jpg

Last edited:
You can try that and see. But also try to calibrate the pedals in the game's manager screen.

You can try that and see. But also try to calibrate the pedals in the game's manager screen.
Oh, jeez. I never even thought to try that. Setting the calibration in the game settings did the trick. ^^;

Guess I'd gotten too used to not having to calibrate my other wheel (the one with the hand pedals like in your Helper PCB video).

Btw, the Mad Catz MC2 Racing Wheel is soooo easy to mod. All the wiring is done by JST Connectors and everything is labeled on the PCB inside the wheel. So all you really have to do is open it up, write down what everything is...and then just unhook the JST Connectors and you can just plug in whatever you want to wire up via those connectors and a few dupont rainbow cable wires (soldered to a db25 or whatever).

Good information to know!

I still enjoy using the hand pedals more than the foot pedals wen playing racing games.

doesnt that model have paddle shifters maybe u could wire those up as gas and brake?

doesnt that model have paddle shifters maybe u could wire those up as gas and brake?
You need analog pots and a paddle shifter is just a digital switch. It won't work. Hand pedals and shifter paddles are two different things.

Good information to know!

I still enjoy using the hand pedals more than the foot pedals wen playing racing games.
The hand pedals are great, but the bungee cord tension takes a lot of getting used to. (I also had my wheel pot wires get caught in the bungees and snap off before I found a good place to string them.)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the M2 wheel uses two metal springs for the tension, so it definitely feels sturdier. The model I bought also has an up/down gear shift. I've only tried it with Crazy Taxi 3 so far, but that definitely helps match the arcade placement.

I started a thread for compatible controls for S-JIHP. If you could post there it would be great!

I started a thread for compatible controls for S-JIHP. If you could post there it would be great!
Sure thing. I'll post a full write-up once I finish wiring up the buttons (had to order some more dupot cables as I ran out).

what parts are you using to mod this if I want to attempt the same thing?

what parts are you using to mod this if I want to attempt the same thing?
You need to choose a wheel that uses pots and if you do it will just need some internal rewiring.

which model mc2 did you use? There are multiple colors and some are for ps1, xbox 360, etc.

I used one from original Xbox. I wanted one with a gear shift so I could more accurately play Crazy Taxi and Jambo Safari.

I plan to do a short write-up about how I modded it, when I have a free moment. I probably should've taken more pictures, but I did write down all the pinouts and such. Wiring the wheel/gas/break/gear shift is super easy. Heck, wiring the buttons is easy... the pain in the butt part came when I had to troubleshoot why half the pad's buttons worked and half didn't. Turns out it had a grounding problem and I had to cut a few traces on the right hand buttons (the middle part of the button pads seemed to not be printed right or something).

Last edited:
I used one from original Xbox. I wanted one with a gear shift so I could more accurately play Crazy Taxi and Jambo Safari.

I plan to do a short write-up about how I modded it, when I have a free moment. I probably should've taken more pictures, but I did write down all the pinouts and such. Wiring the wheel/gas/break/gear shift is super easy. Heck, wiring the buttons is easy... the pain in the butt part came when I had to troubleshoot why half the pad's buttons worked and half didn't. Turns out it had a grounding problem and I had to cut a few traces on the right hand buttons (the middle part of the button pads seemed to not be printed right or something).
I picked up one of these wheels. Can you post your write up on how to mod it?

Back