What's new
I seem to recall my Desert War does not have any sub-board, though it is Wangan Sensou (JP version).
According to MAME source there is only 1 version of this game, unless there is another version that hasn't been dumped yet. Having seen the PCB of Derick2k's cart it didn't have a sub board, though it may have been a conversion as it was missing the label. I have what is supposedly an original cart coming to me so I'll see how it compares.
I'm probably just misremembering things, I suppose region is probably on the motherboard. It's been a long time since I've had my MS32 out or looked at it, so I forget specifics.

@Derick2k looking through some of the rom board pictures you sent me and compairing the custom chips to what's documented in MAME is pretty interesting:

Desert War
Custom chip: SS91022-10 9513EV 367821 06441
*full chip number isn't documented in MAME but yours isn't on a sub-pcb

Gratia
Custom chip: SS91022-10 9513EV 370121 06441
*this might be gratia set 2, but the full chip number isn't documented in mame, however this appears to be the same chip as tetris plus 2

Idol Janshi Suchie Pai II
Custom chip: SS02-48-01 9410EV 436091 06441
*Idol Janshi's custom chip isn't documented in MAME but this chip seems to be the same as P47-Aces

Angel Kiss
Custom chip: SS92047-01 9423EV 450891 06441
*full chip number for Angel Kiss isn't documented in MAME but this chip appears to be the same chip as Gradia Set 1

Best Bout Boxing
Custom chip: SS92046-01 9338EV 436091 06441 (this chip is on a sub PCB)
*BBB's custom chip isn't documented in MAME but this appears to be the same custom chip as Hayaoshi Quiz Nettou Namahousou and World PK Soccer

I'd be curious if that Idol Janshi Suchie Pai could be converted to P47 Aces with a straight rom swap, or that Angel Kiss could be converted to Gradia Set 1 with a straight rom swap as well.

I'm waiting on delivery of 3 mahjong carts, I'm anxious to see if they share customs with any of the shmups.

Last edited:
I have more carts on the way, so I'll take pics of those as well to compare.

@trap15 No worries, keep working on those cps1.5 conversions :)

@Darksoft You have a full plate mister (MVS/AES/CPS2 Comm Board, Lindbergh Stuff, plus I/O stuff, etc...), so no more distractions for you ;) :thumbsup:

@Apocalypse Im sure this is something he can easily take care of, I can be easily persuaded to donate a motherboard and cart for the cause :whistling:

I'm certainly paying attention :)
Done!

As trap15 said only text and background graphics are encrypted.
Works well in MAME (Gratia running with Tetris Plus encryption chip).
I wonder if there's a way to disable decryption on real hardware? This way we could use any donor with decrypted files.
Also are there any other hardware limitations between games (different chip size supported, missing sockets, etc.)?

You know what's coming next, don't you? ;)

2. High Score Saving

Searching around for info on the Mega System 32 I found some topics on KLOV and elsewhere with people complaining that high scores aren't saved between shut downs. I'm curious if there is maybe an on-board battery somewhere that could be dead or if these boards really have no way to save high scores... (seems ridiculous for such a modern system)
I brought this up not too long ago while talking about CPS2. It's from '93 as well, and with all the battery driven shenanigans it has going on inside, it still doesn't save the scores, while having 50 position long high score lists for many games. At least Dimahoo tells it like it is, having a "Today's Heroes" caption above the score table.

Link to game pcb pics I have on hand, waiting for a few more to get here. Best Bout Boxing seems to be sold without a shell.

https://mega.nz/#F!KpcCibYD!H5lDQBNyWr8LwGWVqCvrlg
Thanks a lot!Still keen to donate a motherboard and game in the name of "science"? ;)
Sure am, Im sure you will figure out how to make a multi or at least conversions :) Send me PM with mailing address.
Conversions already work in MAME. But it's a bit of a pain you have to create a different set for each donor (well each different protection chip).
PMed you! Thanks so much for you support!

Link to game pcb pics I have on hand, waiting for a few more to get here. Best Bout Boxing seems to be sold without a shell.

https://mega.nz/#F!KpcCibYD!H5lDQBNyWr8LwGWVqCvrlg
Thanks a lot!Still keen to donate a motherboard and game in the name of "science"? ;)
Sure am, Im sure you will figure out how to make a multi or at least conversions :) Send me PM with mailing address.
Conversions already work in MAME. But it's a bit of a pain you have to create a different set for each donor (well each different protection chip).PMed you! Thanks so much for you support!
Glad to support the arcade community! :)

For those who are interested here are the re-encrypted graphic ROMs (gfx3 = background and gfx4 = texts) for Gratia (set gratia, security chip ss92047_01) on Tetris Plus (romset tetrisp, security chip SS92046_01).

http://www.filedropper.com/gratiaontp

I've tested them in MAME without any issue but won't provide any support for them until I can test things on real hardware (which should happen in March when I'll be back home, thanks to the boardset donated by Derick2k).

More to come in the future (either all the possible re-encryption combinations or decrypted romsets if a way is found to run them on real hardware).

1. Region Swapping
So I got some Jaleco carts in today.

it seems that if you want to run in English you'll want to turn ON dipswiches 1,2, and 3 on dip bank #3.
Dip 1 is for English Text,
Dip 2 is for the "Winner Don't use Drugs" FBI warning (And who doesn't want that piece of nostalgia :D)
Dip 3 is for English Voices in-game.

The Dips do seem to vary from game to game though (the above were taken from the Game Paradise).

For instance Tetris Plus as has a mix of English and Japanese voices in game. dips 3 and 4 control these.
both off or 3 on and 4 off will be both Japanese and English, while 3 off and 4 on omits the Japanese Voices

The rest of the Dip 3 bank seem to be game specific settings. While Dip bank 1 is for coin settings and dip bank 2 is for difficulty and audio settings
the Tetris Plus manual has a good chart for all of this: http://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade/Manual/formated/Tetris_Plus_-_1995_-_Jaleco.pdf

2. High Score Saving
I put a brand new CR2032 battery on my main board and Tetris Plus doesn't seem to hold save data between power offs, which is unfortunate.

The manual for Game Paradise describes the battery as being used for "bookkeeping" and also describes how to clear book keeping data through the test menu; this section is omitted from the Tetris Plus manual so Perhaps only some games actually save data? I'll need to do some more testing

Jaleco MS32 Cart/PCB Pics - Mega Link
You should compare these rom labels to the mame driver because it looks like you have undumped revisions. For example just from a quick glance your Hayaoshi is revision 1.2 and your P-47 Aces is revision 1.1.

https://git.redump.net/mame/tree/src/mame/drivers/ms32.cpp

Everyone should do this with every game in their collection to be frank.

Back