What's new

Do you currently own a Naomi Netboot/CF setup?

• Total voters
Put me in the never bothered to set up a Naomi solution but would if it was made convenient camp. Just haven't taken the effort to hunt down all the parts, get the RPi stuff together etc. I'm certainly capable, but eh, just feels like a pain.

I'd buy a couple, likely. Netboot setups are a pain in the butt and it would give me a good excuse to pick up a couple NAOMI 1 units.

Also, someone like me who has 5 NetDimm's, numerous regular Dimm's, and several Dreamcasts isn't going to buy a +$400 multi even if I own everything else Darksoft has made. Someone that just wants to taste Naomi nectar would sooner pick up a $200 NetDimm over a $400 Darksoft multi. So that leaves a select few that would pick it up because, well, they are ultra picky, plus the few converts. He knows all this and already has stated he doesn't see it happening.
I don't get the "I have 5 Netdimms and several Dreamcast and I can't justify to pay xx$ for the Multi"

I made a business case severals months ago here in the forum. f you have more or less standard Netdimm setup (including Netdimm, PSUs, RPi with screen etc...) you are going to recover all the money once you sell the unneded junk and buy the hypotetical N1-multi.

I calculated for my self (with 2 PSUs and a single Netdimm+rpi setup) and at market prices I even won money ( w0000t! )

The multi success is a no-brainer, it's a complete win-win situation for bothNetdimm-haters and for the Multi-Haters. The current Netdimms guys are going to get paid for getting the Multi and the Netdimm fans are going to be able to get more Netdimms for their private pleasure..

Who can be against this? :)

No one is hating on the idea brutha. Enthusiasts asking for a NAOMI multi are just overlooking logistics is all. It is hard for a dev to invest the effort if 3 alternatives exist already. Suggestions are out there that Darksoft's effort can be done as a break-even effort because past efforts have been such. My last post outlines that there has been a difference between those break even efforts and the ones that were produced for margin and how those were possible. Why else do you think the man made this statement:

Right now, I dont see a Naomi or model2/3 multi happening tbh.

Realistically it won't happen no, but this isn't about reality so much as perception.

Right now the perception is DIMM, NetBoot, Dreamcast are "good enough" solutions.
Well step one for me is to dispel this myth!

They are not "good enough" NOTHING is ever "good enough" that's loser talk.
Losers don't change the world, WE (people who never give up the fight for something more/better) do!

Don't be one of thos "good enough" guys, be a hero... Want better for yourself, and the rest of us, never surrender.

DIMM power consumption requires a modified Capcom IO or JVS PSU.
That adds to the bulk of the setup, and makes it far less attractive to JAMMA cab/single-use supergun people.

The Capcom IO is fantastic IMO, I run it with my Naomi and love that Jorge 2-in-1 cart.
My only regret is I didn't buy a few more 2-in-1 carts off him, sooo worth it!

You know I've toyed with the idea of buying a House of the Dead 2 just for its metal PCB cage and mount the Capcom IO to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put me in the never bothered to set up a Naomi solution but would if it was made convenient camp. Just haven't taken the effort to hunt down all the parts, get the RPi stuff together etc. I'm certainly capable, but eh, just feels like a pain.
I'm pretty much in this boat. I love my Naomi and I've been on the fence for setting up NetBoot or CF configuration for years but I just never could justify it. It seemed like a lot of effort and money to go through for something that was still fairly tedious to really use when compared to other multi-game-ish setups. I'd easily pay as much or more for a convenient flash cart type solution that just works (and has a nice menu).

I own most of the games I'd care to play frequently (except for Powerstone 2) so if I have to take more steps than just selecting a game on screen, then i'm not really interested (unless it's cheap, which it's not).

I was daunted at first with Naomi net booting, and said I would never get one.

As I learned more about it, it became clear that it was a kick ass solution, and really not that hard to put together.

Expensive yes, but not really hard.

And so many cool games, over 90! Totally worth it.

Yes a multi cart solution would be awesome, but if it never happens, I'm still really happy with my setup.

And having the Atomiswave games is a super bonus!

Naomi 1 with 0 PIC Chip
Net-DIMM with updated Bios
Capcom I/O
Sun Power Supply
Raspi setup with Pi Plate
Needed cables

:D

I'm pretty much in this boat. I love my Naomi and I've been on the fence for setting up NetBoot or CF configuration for years but I just never could justify it. It seemed like a lot of effort and money to go through for something that was still fairly tedious to really use when compared to other multi-game-ish setups. I'd easily pay as much or more for a convenient flash cart type solution that just works (and has a nice menu).
I own most of the games I'd care to play frequently (except for Powerstone 2) so if I have to take more steps than just selecting a game on screen, then i'm not really interested (unless it's cheap, which it's not).
Exactly this!
Always was a huge fan of Naomi carts, got a netdimm and some point but sold it pretty quick.
Got a few carts I like to play + I got an Atomiswave with a few carts. That just always works!

But if there ever would be a Naomi multi, I would be first in line :D

I was daunted at first with Naomi net booting, and said I would never get one.

As I learned more about it, it became clear that it was a kick ass solution, and really not that hard to put together.

Expensive yes, but not really hard.

And so many cool games, over 90! Totally worth it.

Yes a multi cart solution would be awesome, but if it never happens, I'm still really happy with my setup.

And having the Atomiswave games is a super bonus!

Naomi 1 with 0 PIC Chip
Net-DIMM with updated Bios
Capcom I/O
Sun Power Supply
Raspi setup with Pi Plate
Needed cables

Yeah, it's definitely a worthwhile solution long term, I think, especially the pi setup. I usually look into it about once a year and the cost is always all over the place, so I just never got comfortable dumping the cash. I also have an Atomiswave but only only with MS6 (legit). Haven't played much else on it before, honestly. So that bonus would be nice, sure.

Certainly not hard, just not something I ever fully committed to, clearly :)

No! You'll be the second 8o
No problem guys.
I'll take third.

So, is this the start of the unofficial pre-order list?

Nope - the pre-order list is here and Im sorry to tell you guys, but Im first in line :D
But alas, I have a feeling this will multi will not happen simply because of the netboot option, may all these dimms die a violent death. I simply hate this tech, dont get me wrong, when it works its great, but most often than not it just sucks. This would be one of the multis I would play the most if it were available.

No! You'll be the second 8o
No problem guys.I'll take third.

So, is this the start of the unofficial pre-order list?

Nope - the pre-order list is here and Im sorry to tell you guys, but Im first in line :D But alas, I have a feeling this will multi will not happen simply because of the netboot option, may all these dimms die a violent death. I simply hate this tech, dont get me wrong, when it works its great, but most often than not it just sucks. This would be one of the multis I would play the most if it were available.
It would be cool if you stopped wishing violent death upon hardware that has served me well for years :P

Count me in for a multi. Do you think there is enough interest to start a bounty to incentivize someone with the technical skills to pick this up?

I know initially I'd not really seen the point of having a multi, but the MVS multi has put some ideas in my head.

Biggest one being how useful the ability to override the required settings for a given game would be, like how the MVS multi can override the region setting. I loathe having to use guesswork to figure out *what* cabinet setting a particular game is mad about when it refuses to boot.

Count me in for a multi. Do you think there is enough interest to start a bounty to incentivize someone with the technical skills to pick this up?
Where in the world would we find someone with the skills, ability, arcade knowledge, desire, love for these games, and who runs a cool ass arcade forum, that would want to do something like this?

Back