What's new

Do you currently own a Naomi Netboot/CF setup?

• Total voters
I play NAOMI games on a Net City so I don't know what everyone else's problem is :P

I mean if you play on a Blast or an Egret 3, they have 3.3V PSUs already and you just need the Sega JAMMA IO to adapt the controls.

What other 31K capable cabs are people using these in that don't have an adequate PSU? or are all these people that have issues with the PSU the same ones running NAOMI in potato quality 480i?

re: Naomi w/netboot multi, how "plug & play" is a New Versus City cabinet? I can't really check the guts of mine to confirm what's in there, as it's currently locked up in storage. I know for sure that there are 31K capable monitors installed but I've mainly been using the cab for 15k games and an occasional Dreamcast connection via VGA box.

how "plug & play" is a New Versus City cabinet?
Capability and wiring wise New Versus City is essentially a Blast City.

So the Monitor and PSU are JVS Compliant, and it should have an on-board stereo amp but you'll need to supply your own JVS I/O (Sega JAMMA IO is ideal for this cab and Sega's Recommended IO board for JVS use in a Blast/New Versus)

If you play Virtua Tennis, Virtua Striker, or Virtual On you'll be able to use the Billboard functions too.

Awesome. I do wish the billboard was customizable for more games but it's good that it supports these at least.

Would I still need a separate PSU for the netboot setup or would the NVC PSU be able to handle everything?

I believe the NVC PSU should be perfectly able to handle it, but I have no personal experience to confirm that.

I believe the NVC PSU should be perfectly able to handle it
Well see that's the reason for all the hate... Should be.
Why does the NetDIMM have to use so much more power than a cart?

IMO if the system works with a cart, it should work with a GD-ROM, Net, or CF.
WITHOUT having to do ANYTHING to the PSU!

The difference should be so minor that it don't matter.
Rather the difference is so great, that it simply won't work (even if it's working perfectly fine/stable with a cart.)

I consider this a design flaw... Sega didn't plan on the extra power draw, and the spec is too tight to accommodate for it.

Well see that's the reason for all the hate... Should be.
I say "should be" because it's rated for a higher power output than even the factory SUN PSU, so it "should be" fine, but like I said... I have no personal experience, for all I know it has problems with a normal NAOMI without a DIMM board.

However, I've yet to see a PSU with a dedicated 3.3V rail that is incapable of running a full Net-Boot setup. the only time people run into problems is when they're running a mickey-mouse setup trying to convert 12V or 5V to 3.3 instead of using a proper dedicated PSU... the fact that a normal NAOMI without the DIMM board can run through one of the converters is really what's impressive.

I have a fanless sanwa PSU (don't know the model exactly) with JVS connectors, 3.3V support,cleaner earthing wiring, proper certifications and switchable 100v - 230v.

Looks pretty much like a JAMMA PSU.. And powers a netdimm setup without problems (it's what I use mainly)

@edit: this one

DSC03820.JPG

Last edited:
I am in the minority, but I <3 NAOMI + Netbooting! Been messing around with Dreamcast + GDEmu-to-JAMMA as of late too (and yes, a Dreamcast is a viable NAOMI multi alternative). Can't do this on a NAOMI:
Dreamcast.JPG

I am in the minority, but I <3 NAOMI + Netbooting! Been messing around with Dreamcast + GDEmu-to-JAMMA as of late too (and yes, a Dreamcast is a viable NAOMI multi alternative). Can't do this on a NAOMI:
Dreamcast.JPG
I'm with you - the Cyberlead runs the NAOMI perfectly with a netboot setup, I made a power cable to connect the Pi to the NAOMI filter board and it works perfectly for me.

I have a Dreamcast to JAMMA adapter I've forgotten the name of, I will set that up one day. I really want to make up a twin stick control panel using the DC sticks and play VOOT on the cab. From memory the DC sticks won't work on the MAPLE bus

Also, is Sturmwind good?

Back