What's new
sounds good @Hammy I'll be patient. Just so long as when you're done you upload more videos of you excitedly screaming expletives, that's half the fun for me.

Excitement levels at the test rig rarely get that hype to be honest. (normally breakthru's happen at 4 am in a zombie kinda state)

Considering the bad times with real life things at the moment getting this running really cheered things up a bit :)

Incredible what your work has achieved!
Is this finding on m84 boards allows to play the m84 games or can import m72 games?

Incredible what your work has achieved!
Is this finding on m84 boards allows to play the m84 games or can import m72 games?
Just to clear this up...

M84

Done & test ok:

Harry
Cosmic cop
R type 2
Kengo
-
Low hanging fruit
(well documented or easy conversions)

Dragon breed
R type 1
X multiply
Air duel
-
Possible but will need a lot of work
(regular changes, mcu patch, video ram patch AND sound patch required)

Tonma
Image fight
Ninja spirit
Chopper
-
impossible / not worth it:

Pound 4 Pound (regular changes, sound driver hack and control system hack required)
Major title (impossible on this hardware)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, its a great find, this clears up what are the possibilities. Thanks for your work once again.

Conceptually, a small PCB can be whipped up rerouting pins 7/8/9 to make the surgery cleaner? Thoughts anyone?

Awesome work Hammy!

Does anyone have recommendations for good quality sockets available on Digikey or Mouser? I have some cheap eBay ones but would rather go ahead and do it as reliably as possible for changing ROMs and hopefully eventually installing a multi.

Both 32 pin and 40 pin sockets needed iirc?

I'll pull out my Harry board this week and check it out.

17 x 32 pin
1 x 28 pin

Some boards have the program sockets already, some not.

Even for the low hanging fruit a multi would be worthwhile. Irem made a bunch of great games.

Technically speaking, isnt m92 a similar platform with more power?

Even for the low hanging fruit a multi would be worthwhile. Irem made a bunch of great games.

Technically speaking, isnt m92 a similar platform with more power?
I have taken a look at ninja spirit and it's proving very tricky.
Don't know if the way i'm patching the mcu is working, or there's another problem stopping it to boot.
Game runs several things with ram that's not there EG sound prog is uploaded to E0000, and of cause ye old B0000-b0FFE ram.

The Mcu has the code in order, so i put the data in the main roms and patched it up to run from there. (quite easy, there's some BR; AW instructions that need to be nop and it seems to flow as normal but not sure.

M72 hardware is basically the sound section on the m92, the graphic stuff is different / more powerful.

Back