What's new
@Hammy, let me know if you need more info. Conversions FROM M72 are actually much simpler than conversions TO M72.

On M72 sound code is stored in main CPU ROMs and uploaded to the sound RAM by main CPU. Simply put a watchpoint for writes to 0xE0000 and you'll easily locate the sound code in program ROMs. Make the code a ROM file, modify ports and you'll be good.
Then MCU does only few things, protection can be bypassed (simply replace the jump to the loaded sbr in MCU RAM by the return jump at the end of the sbr). Ninja Spirit also has few checks that compare a value written by the MCU in MCU RAM (replace the compare instruction by a register compare with itself or modify the conditional jump when it fails). Ignore the RAM test for those not existing outside of M72. Lastly modify samples writes (port 0xC0 on M72).
Of course you also have the usual differences:
- dma port
- scroll ports (offset)
- priority and flip bits for tiles
- etc.

I found an issue, a DMA RET not working correctly, but it's just another fix that gets it a tiny bit further and not much improvement.

It's maybe a good idea to scrap this attempt and start from a known good patched set, the regular changes are not a problem for me but the MCU is.
Also i know the mame patches are no good, as they write some values into B000 (and work ram), and guess the game reads those at random.

B000 is the new irq, so any time the game sends anything down there it crashes, same as e000 - sound ram on the 72 but work ram on the m84.

The error below was an unneeded POP.

Attachments

• RET.png
    RET.png
    55 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Well, it's running now!

But there's some issues (and fixes since this post /videos) :

Boss on 2nd attract loop does not show * SORTED :)
Don't know the rom configuration to get the front and back layers showing at the same time?? (board will be ok i think)
Still no sound * SORTED :) (still working on samples)
Tilemap adjustments not done, and not easy for me...

Video 1 showing background layer (the 'projectile' protection is fixed since this video was taken)

Video 2 showing foreground layer and boss issue

Last edited:
Hardware test from last night:

I figured this last problem out, the D400 writes need an added offset of 2000
Otherwise they try to read the same data area as the other layer (that's why switching the data around makes the other layer fine).
so more video ram work to do, at least it's easier than swapping the data around just a simple add.

Sound samples are on hold at the moment, hopefully the master gets a spare 5 mins to check it out ;)

More or less finished now:

NEW IN THIS VERSION:
GFX LAYERS FIXED,
FINAL FLIPS FIXED,
LAST BOSS HARDCODED TILES FIXED.
FOR USE IN JAPAN SCREEN WORKING

FIXED SINCE THE VIDEO WAS TAKEN
ADD B4000 SCREEN BLANK * Done
MOVE 33C0 / SHIFT CODE DOWN SO THE EXTRA CHARACTERS ARE NOT SHOWN ON THE DISCLAIMER * DONE
1 ROUTINE THAT'S NOT USED BUT WANT TO CONVERT. * DONE
MAKE STATUS BAR CODE MORE ELEGANT * (it's very good now, no flicker!!)

TODO:
CLEANUP ROM
SOUND SAMPLES

Last edited:
I have found a bug in the game?
On the boss where the 2 stones that try to crush you, if you sit on the top wall, you can walk through them unharmed...

Seems to happen on the original set in mame too... Can someone with an M72 confirm this is an original game bug?

3 games left, should be back on this as soon as the namco stuff is done

I can announce the multi's gamelist ;)
World or jap = choice, the rest are default.

HARRY WORLD or JAP
KENGO WORLD
COSMIC WORLD
AIRDUEL WORLD
_
RT2 WORLD
RT2 JAP
XM WORLD
XM JAP (LATER....)

_

IMAGE JAP (STILL W.I.P)
NINJA.S JAP
TONMA JAP (STILL W.I.P)
CHOPPER JAP (STILL W.I.P)
_
RT1 WORLD or JAP
BREED WORLD
POUND 4 WORLD
POUND 4 JAP

Last edited:
Here I was thinking about selling that RTYPE II board!

Here I was thinking about selling that RTYPE II board
RT2 or Hammering harry is good for these ;)

Kengo / cosmic cop m84 are no good for multi but can be upgraded to a 2 in 1 switcher. CC/KEN.

Understandable considering what has been discussed in this thread thus far. So it is all good about it not being plug and play. Hah! I knew picking up Hammerin' Harry on M84 two years ago was a sound investment.

Yep if it's not economical and the price of HH goes up too much stop working on it and move onto the m82 again or fully cloning the hardware into a nice single layer jamma with all original processors etc.
HH should be £100 or under on m84 and this irem hardware is almost fully reversed.

Just like a certain fighter should be under £50 (....another conversion that was made economically not viable by hype? )
Don't kill it before the job's done.

Back