What's new
Great job Hammy, by the time the roms will be available, I have a HH pcb waiting to convert to R-type2

Really excited for this as I was thinking about selling my R-Type 2 M84 to buy a M72 PCB for the multi, glad I don't need to!

Really excited for this as I was thinking about selling my R-Type 2 M84 to buy a M72 PCB for the multi, glad I don't need to!
So you're going to pull all the mask ROMs from your R-Type 2 and install sockets?
I'd buy a cheap M84 Hammerin Harry from Japan ($120/150) instead.

So you're going to pull all the mask ROMs from your R-Type 2 and install sockets?
If that's what its going to take why not do it?

I don't want to spend any additional money (aside from the multi and required sockets).
I'm also 99.9% sure I can just blast the chips off with a hot air gun and then cleanup the thru-hole after with some braid/wick.

Seems easy enough, am I missing something else?

P.S. Why did your avatar get pixelated? Is he doing something inappropriate? :whistling: :saint: ;)
QXuMolc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
SNES mode 7 style (I always hated that effect BTW, it was lazily/over-used).
Me too, looks so ugly. Even BITD I didn't understand why everyone was praising it. IMO it was too early (hardware wasn't beefy enough) to render something acceptable.

Me too, looks so ugly. Even BITD I didn't understand why everyone was praising it. IMO it was too early (hardware wasn't beefy enough) to render something acceptable.
after i put a credit on M72 , i never go back on SNES to play there R-Types ! Arcade rocks !

i never go back on SNES to play there R-Types ! Arcade rocks !
First time I played R-Type it was on the Turbo Grafix 16 console.
I think it was the 3rd or 4th game I ever purchased on the system (first was def Bonk's Adventure, and 2nd was def Splatterhouse after that I forget)?

Anyway, at the time I was totally unaware it was based on an arcade game, having never seen one before.
While on vacation that same summer, I found/played the arcade version (Nintendo licensed version in a widebody) at a boardwalk arcade in Old Orchard Beach Maine.

I remember being amazed the screen didn't SCROLL! You could just see everything (and by everything I mean top/bottom at the same time)!!!
It was a shocking revelation nonetheless, one that when paired with the fighting game craze of the 90's (and the imperfect ports that came with them) set me on a path that would end in owning actual arcade PCBs (something I never thought possible as a kid/at the time).

i never go back on SNES to play there R-Types ! Arcade rocks !
First time I played R-Type it was on the Turbo Grafix 16 console.I think it was the 3rd or 4th game I ever purchased on the system (first was def Bonk's Adventure, and 2nd was def Splatterhouse after that I forget)?

Anyway, at the time I was totally unaware it was based on an arcade game, having never seen one before.
While on vacation that same summer, I found/played the arcade version (Nintendo licensed version in a widebody) at a boardwalk arcade in Old Orchard Beach Maine.

I remember being amazed the screen didn't SCROLL! You could just see everything (and by everything I mean top/bottom at the same time)!!!
It was a shocking revelation nonetheless, one that when paired with the fighting game craze of the 90's (and the imperfect ports that came with them) set me on a path that would end in owning actual arcade PCBs (something I never thought possible as a kid).
yes , indeed ... but i found PC Engine in December 2017. I didnt knew the existence of that console till then. Also, here in Romania i grew with famicom clones , found this in 1995 when i had 11 years . Until then in 93 or 94 , i put credits on Rastan, Moonwalker , MK2 and very few arcades cabinets i remember . Now i have Rastan from DS and MW from Apo on arcades... isnt cool ? I discover and start to understand the arcade journey when i ordered cps2 & f3 multi

I played R-Type first on Amiga 500 - it was amazing after being used to C64 :)
IIRC that effect was called Mosaic. I met some people who were strangely excited about using it for transitions. Mode 7 is the affine transformation that can be used for zoom/scale/rotation effects on SNES, or with some extra HDMA control for a 3D floor/ceiling.

It's fading away...
Stay with us , resist the dark energy!
So you're going to pull all the mask ROMs from your R-Type 2 and install sockets?I'd buy a cheap M84 Hammerin Harry from Japan ($120/150) instead.
Only the tile roms need " some " sockets places for pins to go. very rare to see the program roms and sound soldered direct.
I think in the end it's gonna be a full "top board" , something between the namco multi and the existing M72.

The top board will plug in as normal on the 2 connectors and there will be some pins dropping down to go in the tile rom sockets,
This also saves wear and tear on the rare KNA chips located on the original top board, and also makes it universal to HH + RT2 hardwares.

Another thing, repro motherboards will follow soon after so a full repro multi m84 stack in the works.
The hardware is on the back burner for the moment there is still heli to finish, and tonma / image fight have only scratched the surface.
Pound 4 pound needs the sound driver hacked too and also ask apocalypse nicely about the joystick hack to save time ;)

I played R-Type first on Amiga 500 - it was amazing after being used to C64
I had this on master system, much sprite flicker but not a bad version. always considered r type as a "knockoff" of salamander because that's the shooter that was in the arcades i used to visit and was dated earlier.

I had this on master system, much sprite flicker but not a bad version. always considered r type as a "knockoff" of salamander because that's the shooter that was in the arcades i used to visit and was dated earlier.
I do actually have that cartridge. I had the crazy idea for a double-sided Master System / Mark III cartridge, so I got some cheap cartridges, which were Terminator II for Master System and R-Type for Mark III, as reference to measure PCB and cartridge sizes.
(Decided against the double-sided cartridge, it wouldn't fit any case and PCBs are cheap and easy enough.)

I think in the end it's gonna be a full "top board" , something between the namco multi and the existing M72.

The top board will plug in as normal on the 2 connectors and there will be some pins dropping down to go in the tile rom sockets,
This also saves wear and tear on the rare KNA chips located on the original top board, and also makes it universal to HH + RT2 hardwares.

Another thing, repro motherboards will follow soon after so a full repro multi m84 stack in the works.
The hardware is on the back burner for the moment there is still heli to finish, and tonma / image fight have only scratched the surface.
Pound 4 pound needs the sound driver hacked too and also ask apocalypse nicely about the joystick hack to save time ;)
Please put a disclaimer before dropping a bomb like that!

Please put a disclaimer before dropping a bomb like that!
Who knows where the irem train is going next, one thing is for sure - that train is slow as shit!! At this rate it will be the irem 2084 but be stunning haha

It's a time sucker and ZN1 is very exciting at the moment, along with the usual nonsense = distracted.
Time is better spent on that system at the moment too as cracking 1 unlocks a bunch more for the same work ;)

Back