What's new
Yeah that's part of the slowdown, this board still has the original harry roms still soldered down on the top board.
There should be no complications with the GFX or sound with the correct roms.

The code is quite patched, and have not decided on a 'standard' setup yet for the games.
If there's a quick way of doing it in hardware then the upper roms can stay in the same order.
Why the RT2 pal does not work is still a mystery too.

I almost feel sorry for having to desolder the Daiku no Gensan roms from my Japanese board sooner or later, but there's so much Irem goodness waiting to be played. But, if i am assuming correctly we could get the likes of Mr. Heli, Dragon Breed and Ninja Spirit on these boards, and that's enough motivation for me right there :)

Any multi for this hardware planned?

Dragon breed i know inside out, so that can be converted sometime.
Image fight, heli, tonma and ninja spirit need a lot of work to run on here. (protection, sound, vid regs, irq mods etc etc as well as the normal changes)

Dragon breed i know inside out, so that can be converted sometime.
Image fight, heli, tonma and ninja spirit need a lot of work to run on here. (protection, sound, vid regs, irq mods etc etc as well as the normal changes)
Dragon Breed would be awesome

I have converted the games that are easy but with full gfx roms installed there's a 'pallet1' issue on every game.
The hacks work great in mame but not in hardware.

Not sure it it's hardware change for the mirroring again or a combination of conversion errors manifesting the same issue.
There's a few plans of attack / testing (dump pallet ram to NV ram for analysis ) but not got time for the next couple of weeks to carry on with it.

Had an hour to play today and try a few things.

Found 3 errors in the cosmic cop conversion - did not fix the problem

And R type 2 is sooooooo close now. the pallet ram is still not behaving 100% correctly.

It's annoyingly close, the final issue is to do with the top board.
Something is very different here compared the other m84 systems.

Tried the kengo pal on the top board for a laugh (as that's pallet ram range is also A0000) and got no sprites at all (??!)
Tired zero'ing the pallet ram on boot, still the same.
Tried adding missing resistor, still the same.
Had a look at the code differences in hammering harry m72 and m84, nothing stands out really other than the usual stuff.

As i said above more to it than than a gal + rom swap, there must be a jumper or something stopping the cpu from booting / reading the roms correctly.
won't work due to some unknown thing like a jumper.
If would rephrase it differently "modding what we don't know how to mod on the PCB yet" ;) Let stay positive.
Something is very different here compared the other m84 systems.

Tried the kengo pal on the top board for a laugh (as that's pallet ram range is also A0000) and got no sprites at all (??!)
Think i found it!!
There is lines 3 switched on the [top board] pal!!!

Attachments

• gall.png
    gall.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 465
Hopefully :)

It should allow different top board pals like RT2 or kengo [hopefully without crippled ranges?]
change the code over to the new pallet pal and hopefully fix the last issue.

3 wires should be easy enough to get a result later today ;)

OK,
So swapping the 3 lines around allows the original unmodified game to run with that top board

ORIGINAL UNMODIFIED BOTTOM BOARD (RT2)
ORIGINAL RT2 CODE
ORIGINAL RT2 PAL
HAMMERING HARRY TOP BOARD

STILL THE SAME ISSUE :( :(

So what was the difference between when it wasn’t working and when you got it to work? I didn’t notice anything different on the pcb.

Back