What's new

yavuzg

Professional
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to hear your opinions about this...

IMG_4385.JPG

IMG_4387.JPG

Bought this PCB as not working. Was not booting at all. Repaired the A board (bent pins), replaced 4-5 sockets on B board (corrosion), burned a new STF29 PAL, reflowed the C board PPU. This was the best I could do for this repair. The game plays fine, sound is ok, A board is tested on other titles, working 100%.

What do say? I suspect C board PPU is busted?

seen that once,
lots of soldering fixed it.

I'll try to locate the problematic PCB when my other WW PCB arrives. For now, I can't test either B or C board on another CPS1.

Well, but you can rework the chip on the C board and see if that improves anything....

it wasnt the chip, it was the interconnects between the boards.

Well, but you can rework the chip on the C board and see if that improves anything....
Already did that. Unfortunately didn't worked.

it wasnt the chip, it was the interconnects between the boards.
Indeed there were localized corrosions on both B board and C board as if something spilled on back in the day. Cleared them and patched some traces. Didn't invested too much time to check every connection between C and B though. Didn't thought the issue might be missing/corroded traces related since the massive discoloration on graphics reminded me as if a C board PPU program ROM mismatch (which I checked with RomIdent).

I'll re-investigate and report back, thanks...

if i remember right, it wasnt the c-board interconnects, it was the A-B ones.
the soldering can crack if the boards flex from too much moving around.

I've got this same fault on 2 separate CPS1 boards, but in both cases the A is at fault (B+C have tested fine on a known working A)

My only experience with a busted C board was the board failing to boot at all, it was a Final Fight and it did sync and came up with a sprite pattern, but went no further

if i remember right, it wasnt the c-board interconnects, it was the A-B ones.
the soldering can crack if the boards flex from too much moving around.
I've got this same fault on 2 separate CPS1 boards, but in both cases the A is at fault (B+C have tested fine on a known working A)

My only experience with a busted C board was the board failing to boot at all, it was a Final Fight and it did sync and came up with a sprite pattern, but went no further
Hmm.. These comments give me hope. Thanks guys... ;)

A board is tested OK. I'll re-investigate B and C board traces and connectors... Also I'll test the 245 buffers on the B board.

You've dumped and verified all the mask ROMs as well I'm assuming? You said you replaced several sockets due to corrosion, are you sure you don't have rotted tracks on the B board?

You've dumped and verified all the mask ROMs as well I'm assuming? You said you replaced several sockets due to corrosion, are you sure you don't have rotted tracks on the B board?
Yes I've dumped all mask roms and eproms and checked with romident. They show up OK and the program roms are "World 910318" version which match with the C board PPU type, CPS-B-05. Regarding rotten tracks, I've fixed couple of rotten vias but didn't checked all the routes beginning from C PPU to A PPU. So, yeah, I may have missed one (or more). I'll look into those again...

I had the exact same issue with the exact same game and exact same chip revision.

Culprit was :

2lcxzy9.jpg

Sorry.
Solution for me was to pacth program ROMs to use a CPS-B-21 chip I pulled from a working CPS2 board (already pulled the CPS-A-01 from it to save a CPS1 A-board).
Then I had to adapt the C-board a little bit as CPS-B-05 and CPS-B-21 aren't 100% pin compatible and CPS-B-21 needs an additional PAL.
That was a lot of work but also a good exercise to prove you can adapt a different B chip on the C-board.

I had the exact same issue with the exact same game and exact same chip revision.

Culprit was :

Sorry.
Solution for me was to pacth program ROMs to use a CPS-B-21 chip I pulled from a working CPS2 board (already pulled the CPS-A-01 from it to save a CPS1 A-board).
Then I had to adapt the C-board a little bit as CPS-B-05 and CPS-B-21 aren't 100% pin compatible and CPS-B-21 needs an additional PAL.
That was a lot of work but also a good exercise to prove you can adapt a different B chip on the C-board.
That sounds like a brutal solder job. I think I would just call it a loss and move on lol

Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread but I have a similar issue with a SFII- WW board. The board still runs the game and plays all the correct audio but has a major graphics issue. I'm pretty sure it was caused when dodgy wiring on my NAC may have caused a voltage spike on the 5V. I have since totally striped this cabinet and it is now in parts waiting to be repainted before being put back together.

Here are some images of the Title screen
IMG_0990.jpg

and Test screen
IMG_0992.jpg

Has anyone had similar issues and can recommend the next step in the repair process or is it dusted?

@Apocalypse thanks for the valuable information...

Soon I'll get another faulty WW. Hopefully that one will be an easy fix. Then I'll test these B & C boards on that working WW (with matching program ROMs ofcourse) to identify the source of the problem. If my C board turns out to be the source then it is still OK for me since I purchased this PCB just for the A board anyway.

After I come up with a 100% working WW CPS1 then I'm planning to contact you regarding your WW=>G&G conversion ROMs ;)

@Blackfish, have you tried to swap your A board? You may have some faulty RAM on A board (not 100% sure but judging by the thing you mentioned regarding voltage spike).

@Blackfish, have you tried to swap your A board? You may have some faulty RAM on A board (not 100% sure but judging by the thing you mentioned regarding voltage spike).
I haven't yet,I but I do have a Hyper SFII board that I can try swapping it with. I will give that a go tonight. I hate pulling the boards apart, always feel like they are going to crack a solder or something with the flexing.

Back