What's new

Hatsune Mike

Champion
Reaction score
[cross-post from shmups]
I was sick today so I took some of this home-bound time to finish up a ROM hack for ESP Ra. De. that replaces the "3 coins 1 credit" setting with "Free Play".

The source as well as IPS patches for the ROMs are available from this github repository.

https://github.com/Mikejmoffitt/esprade-freeplay

Screenshot-from-2018-01-10-00-20-02.png

With some free time I may port this to the Japanese releases as well.

Wow, ESP Ra.De. seems to be trending these days on the gaming forums. I really wished I didn't pass up a chance to get this PCB for $180 a few years ago. I'm not much of a Cave guy, after owning and playing a few boards, but ESP Ra.De is one that I actually dig.

Wow, ESP Ra.De. seems to be trending these days on the gaming forums. I really wished I didn't pass up a chance to get this PCB for $180 a few years ago. I'm not much of a Cave guy, after owning and playing a few boards, but ESP Ra.De is one that I actually dig.
I bought and sold mine in the 200 or 300 range a while ago, for now I'm OK with MAME on this one. I prefer Galuda personally to be honest, though Ra.De. is fun in its own right.

Awesome work on the patch regardless!

I bought and sold mine in the 200 or 300 range a while ago, for now I'm OK with MAME on this one. I prefer Galuda personally to be honest, though Ra.De. is fun in its own right.
Awesome work on the patch regardless!
It does play well in MAME, but the sound has always seemed a bit off.

Is it the same way with the PCB?

In case anyone was wondering this seems like it would be too much work to get running, even though the memory map is compatible:

Attachments

• ddonpach-esprade.png
    ddonpach-esprade.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 321
Correct - that screenshot was just an aside.

However, the patch as-is won't work on the J version. At the very least the routines are in different locations, and the title screen code for the Japanese version has a few more subroutines related to the intro animation.

That intro animation routine isn't just disabled in the international version, I'm pretty sure it is outright missing.

Back