What's new
E

Euphoria

Hi :

Can anyone answer the following questions please :

1 : I have several A & B boards, however they are all different in colour. Will a CPS2 multi allow me to put the different colour base board to use with the CPS2 multi interchanged on it? IF so how will I run it on a Blue, yellow, grey and green base boards I have. Can I interchange the multi across these different region types?

2 : Do i need to destroy a working top board to fit the CPS2 Multi to? Or can I purchase a non working board, and how non working can this be?

3 : How does the CPS2 multi handle regoin versions of the same game? Can you load usa and asian versions on the same memory stick and interchange to the various regoin bases?

A little help please?

Regards
Euphoria 8|

Hi :

Can anyone answer the following questions please :

1 : I have several A & B boards, however they are all different in colour. Will a CPS2 multi allow me to put the different colour base board to use with the CPS2 multi interchanged on it? IF so how will I run it on a Blue, yellow, grey and green base boards I have. Can I interchange the multi across these different region types?

2 : Do i need to destroy a working top board to fit the CPS2 Multi to? Or can I purchase a non working board, and how non working can this be?

3 : How does the CPS2 multi handle regoin versions of the same game? Can you load usa and asian versions on the same memory stick and interchange to the various regoin bases?

A little help please?

Regards
Euphoria 8|
1. Yes, works on all region B boards
2. Any board, working or suicided will work, you would have to remove all socketed roms and the battery in case the board is still running on battery.
However I would not destroy a working board on battery (yes they can be revived), but I would install it on a phoenixed, battery-less board
3. You can select all games from the LCD selector, for example Super Street Fighter 2 Europe will be displayed as SSF2_____E and the Japan version is displayed as SSF2____J

Be sure to watch Mitsurigi's install videos on the pinned threads. Using a known working board is best, to minimize the things you have to troubleshoot. So the answer to "how non working can it be" is "if the board only isn't working because the battery died, that's fine". But if the battery leaked it's not like the multi is going to fix the corrosion...

Like @PascalP said I'd start with a known-working board that has no battery (Phoenixed) already. If you have a dead board, you could give it a shot, but you really should burn a decrypted rom set to make sure the board is fine.

While region doesn't matter, it does help to have a rev7 board and a G PAL. Marvel Vs Capcom or Marvel vs Street Fighter for example.

http://www.jammarcade.net/cps2-pal-information/

1) This installs on the B-board so you will need to remove all game roms from the B-board to install.

With the newest firmware it is ok to use a B-board with a battery if you want. It no longer needs to be phoenixed. If you are going to keepthe battery I would change it for a new one to prevent leakage, however. :)

Keeping a battery while the kit is installed is detrimental and unnecessary. The kit will reprogram the keys every time the board is powered on.

The battery may fail and leak corrosive stuff which can ruin the boards (including the flash kit which uses smaller parts, being likely to be corroded more easily than the B board.

I agree. Better to remove the battery completely. If you want to restore it to original at some point just add the battery back then.

Hi guys,

Based on what I have read and watched I believe the following should work but it would be great if someone could confirm.
Thought this was the appropriate thread to post, but happy to start a new thread if needed.

-I have a working Jap SF Zero B board, Rev 7 with a freshly replaced battery.
-I have pre-ordered a DS kit and PAL G in early May so I am assuming the firmware allowing non-suicided boards to work will be preinstalled,

If I were to:

1-Replace the original PAL E with the PAL G ordered from DS.
2-Match all jumper settings from Mitsu's install video
3-Remove the all the original socketted chips (label them for later)
4-Install the DS kit.

That should work right?
What about if I were to reverse steps 1-4, would that set my board back to working the way it currently is without issues?

I am asking because I don't want to ruin my working board but if the above works, I don't see a point in buying a separate board just to run the DS. kit.

Cheers.

+ you have to remove the battery

And yes, your board can be restored once you ‘kill’ it.
Just install back the battery, flash the correct key, reinstall original PAL and roms and change the jumpers back

You don't 'HAVE' to remove the battery but you don't have to risk having it leak on you. But yes as stated above you can always use the kit to reinstall the keys and convert the pcb back.

One step you did miss is you have to install the four key-writing wires for your kit to run the original roms.

Thanks a lot to you both for the replies.
Just install back the battery, flash the correct key, reinstall original PAL and roms and change the jumpers back
Ok, I think I get it, the DS kit flashes the encryption keys to the board every time a game is loaded, therefore I would have to load the game that matches the B board's original game (i.e.:SF Zero) to have the correct keys written onto the board?

One step you did miss is you have to install the four key-writing wires for your kit to run the original roms.
Ok, that got me puzzled for a sec but prompted me to do more research, so I found the thread and video about the new firmware and key writing and it seems clear to me now.

So, to recap, assuming I leave a nice fresh battery on the board(to simplify the steps):

1-Replace the original PAL E with the PAL G ordered from DS
2-Match all jumper settings from Mitsu's install video
3-Remove all the original socketted chips (label them for later)
4-Install the DS kit.
5-Install the 4 programming wires on CN9 and use an encrypted romset

This should allow me to use the kit to load encrypted games.

Then, If I were to load SF Zero to program the keys and revert steps 5 to 1, my SF Zero B board should be back to original?

If that is the case I'll happily use my working board as it's really non intrusive, until perhaps I can find a better suited donor.

Back