What's new
Doesn’t make sense to benchmark against others if there is no set route in Darius Gaiden? The bosses and levels are easier/more difficult depending on what Zone.

Wouldn’t it be better perhaps to do this on Darius Gaiden: Extra Version’s all-stage mode?

I tried searching the forum and maybe I missed it so here it goes (sorry if it's super obvious)

I recently received a PGM and a DOJ cart from sheepnova, works great right out of the box no issues. I know that you can access the PGM's test/settings menu with dip 1 on but is there a way to access game specific test/settings menu or does one not exist for conversions. My apologies, super new to this.

I tried searching the forum and maybe I missed it so here it goes (sorry if it's super obvious)

I recently received a PGM and a DOJ cart from sheepnova, works great right out of the box no issues. I know that you can access the PGM's test/settings menu with dip 1 on but is there a way to access game specific test/settings menu or does one not exist for conversions. My apologies, super new to this.
Everything is accessed by pressing SW1 near the jamma edge, most (if not all the dip switches) don't really work on the conversions, depends on which conversion if IIRC.

try to keep the test button pressed. Might take a couple of seconds for the test menu to show.

hi to all in this thread. first time posting in a while...

fellow user @vaughan14 gave me this set of IGS PCB NO-0222-1 & IGS PCB NO-0213 from a knights of valor plus. he attempted to get a ddp doj conversion going by using this thread as reference, but gave up & went with the fluffy pcbs, so i am here to try to get the conversions up & running.

here are some pics of the boards:

https://i.imgur.com/7RfjF7V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qo2zKoR.jpg

i see that successful conversions of this set have been posted here, & i'm just wondering what needs to be done in order to get this to boot. at the moment it just black screens, but it runs (obviously with the wrong gfx/sound assets) with the original p rom. i've ensured that the doj p rom is correctly programmed, but i think the PALs need to be messed with in some way to get this thing to boot. they're labelled DQ U7 & DQ U8. the other ROMs have all been replaced correctly & the 3.3v is also correctly distributed. the only thing that hasn't been touched is the PALs. based on what i understood reading this thread, i believe the PALs map the boot address of the p rom. if this is true how can i achieve this?

apologies if the answer is somewhere back along these 66 pages, admittedly i haven't read them all. i'm just looking for a concise answer.

i've ensured that the doj p rom is correctly programmed
Is it? Are you using a a 27c160 or a 27c322? if you're using a 322 have you set the bank to the one you programmed?
it's a 322. i don't really know anything about setting the bank. i read the chip back & it matched the file i programmed to it. could you please clarify?

it's a 322. i don't really know anything about setting the bank. i read the chip back & it matched the file i programmed to it. could you please clarify?
The program ROM for DDPDOJ is only 16Mb in size, the 322 EPROM is 32Mb in size. so you're only using half of the space. but you've not told the cart which half to look at, this can be accomplished by jumping the high address line to GND or 5V, you'll also want to double the program file so that it fills both the upper and lower half of the chip. if you look around at some of the pictures of these mods on the underside you'll see a solder blob jumping two pins on the program ROM's socket... that's what this is for.

Alternatively you can just use a 27c160 which doesn't have a high address line to set and thus you can just program it and install it and not worry about doubling the rom image, or adding a solder jumper to set the bank.

I thought the problem with KovPlus was that it used a different encryption, and different boot code on the ARM cpu? I gave him a script that re-encrypts the rom with the keys for KovPlus, but it still doesn't boot because the ARM cpu does a different header check.

Existing conversions of DDP use KovSH, and you could use the the carts as for Espgaluda or Ketsui conversions if you don't change the boot address.

I guess if you really wanted to you could try to remove the ASIC and connect the program eprom directly to the cartridge connector. Pinout info is at PGM Cartridge pinout , but nobody has done that before... You would use an unencrypted ROM in that case, similar to my PCB.

I thought the problem with KovPlus was that it used a different encryption, and different boot code on the ARM cpu? I gave him a script that re-encrypts the rom with the keys for KovPlus, but it still doesn't boot because the ARM cpu does a different header check.
it's entirely possible that both things need to be fixed.

allright, no worries. thanks so much for the information!

i'm sure i can get a few 27c160 to take the headache out, but i'll try doubling the ROM or adding the high address line jumper as well. as for the ARM CPU header check, i did use the script to re-encrypt the keys to kovplus. i'll try & play with different p roms & see how i go.

thanks for your help gentlemen, i now have some direction on this. cheers!!

Existing conversions of DDP use KovSH, and you could use the the carts as for Espgaluda or Ketsui conversions if you don't change the boot address.

I guess if you really wanted to you could try to remove the ASIC and connect the program eprom directly to the cartridge connector. Pinout info is at PGM Cartridge pinout , but nobody has done that before... You would use an unencrypted ROM in that case, similar to my PCB.
allright, i've had a go with the 27c160 & just as is written here, the boot address doesn't line up even with a good/correct p rom. i assume this is why the other conversion of my kovplus boardset in this thread has a mess of green wires on it.

i've never undertaken anything so hardcore as to remap the p rom directly to the cartridge connector by hand, but i'm willing to try anything. unfortunately though, i'm not quite adept enough to apply what i can understand from the diagram linked to the boardset i have. how do i know which pin on the prom exactly pairs up with which pin on the connector? will i be cutting power to the asic or rerouting those pins for something else? i've read posts in this thread where other users have helped eachother map out this stuff, but then again, maybe that's for the PALs, which are another thing i have no actual understanding of.

also, am i to understand correctly that you are telling me i can use this (IGS PCB NO-0222-1 & IGS PCB NO-0213) boardset for espgaluda/ketsui without remapping the prom?

i apologise for my ineptitude & any annoyance caused, but i'm determined to get this otherwise dead boardset up & running.

Connecting the EPROM directly to the bus is an advanced topic, nobody has done that before because it is easier to get a cartridge that supports non encrypted ROMs or my custom PCB.

There are two basic types of cartridges:
- P-ROM (for the motherboard) encrypted and connected through the ASIC that handles decryption. A tiny amount of extra code is on the ASIC.
- P-ROM (for the motherboard) not encrypted and directly connected to the bus. The ASIC has some boot code, and a second EPROM containing encrypted ARM code.

There are two types of boot:
- bypass the bios, the game starts at 0. This is how stand-alone PCBs (motherboard and game in one) boot.
- use the bios, the game starts at 1MB. This is how cartridges boot normally.

Espgaluda and Ketsui use a cartridge that doesn't use encryption for the P-ROM, also they bypass the bios and boot from 0. The instructions at the start of this thread for "generic" PAL modifications for Espgaluda and Katsui fix the boot address.

DDP for the KovSH conversion is encrypted, and boots from 1MB.

IGS PCB NO-0222 is the type that uses an encrypted P-ROM. What I mean is, those boards that people use for Ketsui and Espgaluda could be used for DDP conversions as well, as long as you use an unencrypted DDP ROM and don't do the PAL modification.

Reactions: nem
allright well i had a go at routing the prom to the bus just using wire, guided by a multimeter. while it does actually skip the bios & correctly boot from 0, i don't think it's a clean or normal enough method for me to consider sustainable at all. i've given the boardsets back to @vaughan14 and he's going to just restore the game to kovplus, since the conversion method is just so hacky on this particular boardset.

there are plenty of methods available for remapping the prom by hand (plenty of vias available to be patched) but i don't think it's worth the time or effort compared to just keeping the game in its original condition, especially considering the wide variety of alternatives available. soldering some ~36 address/data lines & more is essentially the equivalent of rerouting about a quarter of the total circuit. it's not only labourious, but it's also very difficult to keep the work looking clean. if i was stuck without the alternative options available, i think it would be a great exercise to try to complete the rerouting while keeping it as clean as possible, maybe using IDE style ribbon cable or a custom adapter PCB or something.

thanks to this place though i'm glad i have other options available! definitely going to need to see if there are any more @Fluffy boards available :)

i appreciate all the information shared in this thread & i'm very satisfied that i was able to eventually understand it all. many thanks to all involved.

Back