What's new
just as an FYI, the KoV2 cart in the guide for the Ketsui conversion is a Nine Dragons cart, not a vanilla KoV2, and you can tell by the white silkscreened traditional chinese text below U8. also, apocalypse mentioned the ROMS don't match up in MAME, but they absolutely do for Nine Dragons (it's KoV2 Plus in MAME). also, you can pull 3.3v from the 29L33 (U19 on the board in the guide), so probably not necessary to buy additional parts. on my KoV2 cart it's a uPC29L33, and I verified by measuring 3.3v on the output pin.

all of that said, if anyone has info on converting a vanilla KoV2 I'd be interested. the process is definitely not the same to Nine Dragons.
This starts to make a lot of sense. I have two vanilla KoV2 carts and they have a different layout. Doing the Ketsui conversion on them only lets them boot into the PGM test menu. I have started tracing the connections for the PALs on U4 and U5. Don't know if that will help to find out what has to be done to them to boot the cart.

The DoDonPachi conversion worked perfect and was quite easy to do. I also used the onboard voltage regulator for that conversion and it seems to work fine. Not sure if the VR is up to the task of feeding all the 3.3V roms over time though.

I finally attempted my first conversion with a KoVSH to DDPDOJBL and it worked great by following the posted tutorial, so thanks again.

I am wanting to order carts for making a Ketsui and Espgaluda for myself. I saw the recent comments questioning if the cart used in the posted tutorial was a vanilla KoV 2 or Nine Dragons. I am curious to find a solid answer for this as I am about to order the needed carts, but I want to get the correct ones.

Last edited:
I finally attempted my first conversion with a KoVSH to DDPDOJBL and it worked great by following the posted tutorial, so thanks again.

I am wanting to order carts for making a Ketsui and Espgaluda for myself. I saw the recent comments questioning if the cart used in the posted tutorial was a vanilla KoV 2 or Nine Dragons. I am curious to find a solid answer for this as I am about to order the needed carts, but I want to get the correct ones.
Glad to hear it worked out. I am holding a donor for DOJBL but I don't have a surface mount station at my current place.

The Ketsui conversion in this thread absolutely is the Nine Dragons version. Like I said, look at the silkscreened traditional Chinese text below U8:

飛龍在天

This is also documented in the PGM MAME driver under the Nine Dragons section.

The Ketsui conversion in this thread absolutely is the Nine Dragons version. Like I said, look at the silkscreened traditional Chinese text below U8:
飛龍在天

Is Ketsui just a ROM swap? Id like to get this game myself, but don’t have a burner. Love to buy some off someone and give this a test.

For Ketsui you also need to modify the PAL onboard and install 3.3v regulators for the +5 lines

飛龍在天

I can confirm this. I got two KoV2 and two KoV2 Nine Dragons carts. The Nine Dragons versions match the cart in the tutorial and I have converted one to Espgaluda. Still want to find a way of converting the vanilla KoV2. Will try to trace out the connections to the PALs on the PGM board.

these are the pictures of my conversion of KoV2 Nine Dragons to Espgaluda. I used the voltage regulator on the PGM board for the single eprom that needs it and have used a separate one for the ROM board. This eliminates the need for a wire from the PGM to the ROM board.

9_D613_DB0_6_FD8_4_D97_8589_D1_A3357_EB4_C8.jpgK

these are the pictures of my conversion of KoV2 Nine Dragons to Espgaluda. I used the voltage regulator on the PGM board for the single eprom that needs it and have used a separate one for the ROM board. This eliminates the need for a wire from the PGM to the ROM board.

9_D613_DB0_6_FD8_4_D97_8589_D1_A3357_EB4_C8.jpg
Just confirming: SH Plus won't work, correct? Somehow I've acquired a second copy of Plus, but no spare regular...

9_D613_DB0_6_FD8_4_D97_8589_D1_A3357_EB4_C8.jpgK
I fixed the picture link for you.

how about the second pcb? Any level translators/buffers for the flash io?

Would love to make a espgaluda and ketsui..

Still nobody tried to make a conversion on killing blade boards? I wondered who originally wrote the "donor" list.

Last edited:
The driver says the information was provided by ElSemi and David Haywood (Haze) wrote the driver.

Looks like ElSemi also did a lot of work on CPS2, CPS3 and Sega Model 2 stuff. He's also no longer contributing to MAME having been employed by Sega.

Haze is still active though

Last edited:
So is anyone doing these as a service yet? I'd love to give someone my donor cart and plenty of beer money, so to speak. I could even donate a couple other PGM games I don't play, if they help. Bonus points if you're in the US.

So is anyone doing these as a service yet? I'd love to give someone my donor cart and plenty of beer money, so to speak. I could even donate a couple other PGM games I don't play, if they help. Bonus points if you're in the US.
Me too thanks.
Uh, me three!
If you provide the chips and donor carts (Nine Dragons for Ketsui/Espgaluda, KOVSH for DDP DOJBL), I can do this pretty easily, otherwise I don't have the MX26L6420's or MX29L3211's on hand. I have the means to flash the ROMs along with the equipment and skills to do this. US folks, only.

PM me if interested.

Back