What's new
I got the 27C322, MX29L3211 and MX26L6420 off ebay. The MX26L6420 are quite pricey there, so I also ordered a couple on aliexpress and those were ok too. They just take forever to get here from China with the default shipping options.

For the voltage regulator I would pick the ones that come pre-assembled on a little PCB with input and output terminals. I don't think you will draw high current from them.
On the PROG board I usually use the VR that is already there and feed the single SMD EPROM from it. Then I install the separate VR on the GFX/SAMPLE board. There are some images of my install a couple of posts back in this thread. This eliminates the wire from the PROG board to the GFX/SAMPLE board and makes it a lot easier to test the gaming when you are working on it.

As a first step I would also just replace the 27C322 on the PROG board and do the PAL rewiring to see if the game boots. Once that looks good, you can replace the SMD EPROM on the PROG board and do the work on the GFX/SAMPLE PCB.

Do you already have an EPROM programmer that will write the MX26L6420?

Reactions: nem
Thanks nnap. I found these Chips already and as you said they are quite cheap available in ebay.

Yes my friend can burn the EEPROM for me, so this is not a big deal. But I still need the files for my work. I tried to get the files out of the thread here but it seems that all files are not available anymore on the server out from this thread. Could anyone share the files again?

Now we just need to nail down PGM2 conversions.... Hmmm...

I tried to get the chips for the prafix 26L6420 and it seems they are not wide spreaded in ebay :)
Found one link on aliexpress which might match. Could anyone confrim if that is the right one?

right grafix chip 26L6420 ?

thanks

You're better off ordering them from buyicnow.com

They'll even program them for you if you want

@xodaraP thanks,
My friend will be able to program our files. but that infromation with program support might be very useful for other members!

I am a bit confused about the price for garfix 26L6420.
compared to my first link on aliexpress the price on buyicnow is round about 4 times higher?

aliexpress = 10pcs /$6.90 = 0,69 cent / pcs.
buyicnow = 3€ / pcs.

Last edited:
Even at $3 a pop it's not going to cost you much, you need only 4 or 5 of them.
With buyicnow you're also guaranteed you'll receive genuine working chips.

well guys, I am convinced by your feedback. You are the experts. :)
And if you have good experience with buyicnow I am fine.

I will start order and let you know if I get any progress ony my work.

Has anyone used Killing Blade as a Donor yet?

Looking at the MAME source I'm guessing the issue is that Killing Blade is setup for ROMs that are half the size of those used by Ketsui or Espgaluda. From this I'd guess that either we'd need to split the graphics and music ROMs and install twice as many ICs, or modify the data lines (or the PAL maybe) to support the larger ROMs.

I'm curious if anyone has attempted this yet and can confirm my suspensions.

I ordered 2 killing blade and one kov sh for trying to make conversions. Waiting them for arrive.
These are the pcbs from kb:
9p9k4st.jpg

VdnAcrr.jpg

Could anybody check if they match with others pcb donor games?

Has anyone used Killing Blade as a Donor yet?

Looking at the MAME source I'm guessing the issue is that Killing Blade is setup for ROMs that are half the size of those used by Ketsui or Espgaluda. From this I'd guess that either we'd need to split the graphics and music ROMs and install twice as many ICs, or modify the data lines (or the PAL maybe) to support the larger ROMs.

I'm curious if anyone has attempted this yet and can confirm my suspensions.
The size of the ROMs isn’t the issue since you’re installing the larger EEPROMs. The board has the correct spaces for them, it’s working out how the PAL needs to be modified since the layout is different to KoV2

I’d hoped someone might have had a Joerg conversion on a Killing Blade but no such luck yet

I ordered 2 killing blade and one kov sh for trying to make conversions. Waiting them for arrive.
[pictures]
My KB looks a bit different:

45998392162_816d6f0993_c.jpg

I can donate it to someone who'd like to experiment with it.

My understanding from reading the MAME driver was the version with the additional through hole mask ROMs on the graphics board was an upgraded version of KB?

Edit: They’re noted in MAME as being for Lord of Gun but unused

[pictures]
My KB looks a bit different:
ake o

I can donate it to someone who'd like to experiment with it.
Those images are not from my carts. When it arrives I can take pictures of boards.

Mine looks like the pictures you posted and different from ts and RGB - I don’t have the through hole mask ROMs or additional ROMs on the main board

Since this thread has become crazy long with great info spread out I decided to collect all of the conversion info bits into one place.

I've updated my post on the first page with what you see below. I'll keep it up to date as more people post conversions.

Similarly if you have a cart PCB with an "IGS PCB NO-XXXX" that's not on the list below, please post photos of it along with what game it came from.

This blog entry is the best info I've found: https://newastrocity.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/cave-conversions/

it lists which games can be used as donors but it's unclear if you can use MAME ROMs or if the ROMs need to be patched to bypass security.

------------------------------
UPDATE - 2018-11-25
Since this thread has become so huge I've created a list of every IGS PCB Number I can find and if a successful conversion has been documented on it....

PCBs marked with:
* are suitable donor PCBs with successful documented conversions
+ are thought to be potential donors but have no documented conversions yet
- are thought to not be suitable for conversion

-IGS PCB NO-0135 (GFX) - Dragon World II, Oriental Legend

-IGS PCB NO-0162 (PRG) - Dragon World II

+IGS PCB NO-0179 (PRG) - Killing Blade
+IGS PCB NO-0179-2 (PRG) - Killing Blade
+IGS PCB NO-0178 (GFX) - Killing Blade, Dragon World 3, Dragon World EX

-IGS PCB NO-0189 (PRG) - Dragon World 3
-IGS PCB-0189-1 (PRG) - Dragon World EX

-IGS PCB NO-0191-1 (PRG) - Oriental Legend

+IGS PCB NO-0212-1 (PRG) - Knights of Valour
*IGS PCB NO-0213 (GFX) - Knights of Valour Plus *DDP DOJ conversion 1

+IGS PCB NO-0213T (GFX) - Knights of Valour

-IGS PCB NO-0220 (PRG) - Photo Y2K
-IGS PCB NO-0221 (GFX) - Photo Y2K
+IGS PCB NO-0222 (PRG) - Knights of Valour, Knights of Valour Plus
*IGS PCB NO-0222-1 (PRG) -Knights of Valour Plus *DDP DOJ conversion 1

-IGS PCB NO-T0236 (PRG) - Puzzle Star
-IGS PCB NO-T0237 (GFX) - Puzzle Star

*IGS PCB NO-0256-1 (GFX) - Knights of Valour Super Heroes *DDP DOJ conversion 1 conversion 2
*IGS PCB No-0257-1 (PRG) - Knights of Valour Super Heroes *DDP DOJ conversion 1 conversion 2
-IGS PCB NO-0258 (GFX) - Puzzli 2
-IGS PCB NO-0259 (PRG) - Puzzli 2

+IGS PCB-0292-00 (GFX) - Martial Masters
+IGS PCB-0293-01 (PRG) - Martial Masters

-IGS PCB-0313-00T (PRG) - Photo Y2K2
-IGS PCB-0314-00 (GFX) - Photo Y2K2

+IGS PCB-0333-01-FT (PRG) - Knights of Valour 2
+IGS PCB-0333-02-FI (PRG) - Knights of Valour 2
*IGS PCB-0333-03-FI (PRG) - Knights of Valour 2 *Ketsui *Espgaluda Conversion 1 Conversion 2 Conversion 3
*IGS PCB-0333-09-FI (PRG) - Knights of Valour 2
*IGS PCB-0334-00 (GFX) - Knights of Valour 2 *Ketsui *Espgaluda Conversion 1 Conversion 2 Conversion 3

-IGS PCB-0349-01-FL (PRG) - Dragon World 2001
-IGS PCB-0350-00T-FL-A (GFX) - Dragon World 2001

+IGS PCB-0354-01-FN (PRG) - DoDonPachi 2
+IGS PCB-0355-00T-FN-A (GFX) - DoDonPachi 2

+IGS PCB-0387-02-FV (PRG) - Demon Front

+IGS PCB-0390-00-FV-A (GFX) - Demon Front

*IGS PCB-0490-00-GZ (PRG) - Knights of Valour Super Heroes *DDP DOJ Conversion 1

*IGS PCB-0568-00-GZ-B (GFX) - Knights of Valour Super Heroes *DDP DOJ Conversion 1

Last edited:
DoDonpachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label conversion on Knight of Valour Super Heroes:

I can't guarantee there's no mistake in the information given, I don't have any donor cart to do the conversion from scratch myself.
Also file names in the MAME romsets don't correspond to the donor used here so I've tried to figure this out.
The model cart being borrowed from @oneleaf86, I don't want to mess to much with it (i.e. desoldering chips and dumping them).

Donor PCBs look like this:

Link to the needed files:
http://www.filedropper.com/ddpdojblkbl

Chips needed:
- 1 * 27C322
- 4 * MX26L6420
- 1 * MX29L3211

Burn the files in the appropriate devices:
ddp_doj_u1.bin => 27C322 (U1)
t04401w064.u19 => MX26L6420 (U11)
a04401w064.u7 => MX26L6420 (U1)
a04402w064.u8 => MX26L6420 (U3)
b04401w064.u1 => MX26L6420 (U6)
m04401b032.u17 => MX29L3911 (U4)

Hardware mod:

PROG board:
1) Pull ROMs U1 & U11
2) Install new U1 and U11 but don't solder pin 23 of U11, lift it
3) Connect lifted pin of U11 to 3.3V from left pad of U13 (see top right corner of first pic)

GFX/SAMPLES board:
1) Pull ROMs U1, U3, U4 & U6.
2) Install new U1, U3, U4 & U6 but don't solder pins 23, lift them. Pin 1 of U4 must also be lifted.
3) Connect lifted pins of U1, U3, U4 & U6 to 3.3V from U13
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is a typo here. The chip MX29L3911 does not exist, the correct chip should be MX29L3211 as you posted above in the parts list.

Back