What's new
I need a PGM. Are the sellers on Ebay with ~$50 units any good? I see some with free shipping, i guess that would be my best deal/bet right? Any recommendations?

Oh i don't doubt that, but i do not know the other sellers that have free shipping like wen5764..

I also recommend to buy one from Simon (sheep_nova).
All my stuff orderd from him without any problems for a very reasonable price.

Took a chance and ordered one of these for €48 including shipping. We'll see what happens. :)

For a couple bucks more you could have gotten a coin cell version motherboard with free shipping from Sheep. Probably not the smartest move.

I've got coin cell holders a plenty, and am covered by Paypal if this doesn't work out.
(Also sheep had none available on Ebay when i looked.)

Perhaps its worth mentioning that there are different revisions of the IGS PGM board and you may get different results when trying to save battery backed settings for some carts.

Perhaps its worth mentioning that there are different revisions of the IGS PGM board and you may get different results when trying to save battery backed settings for some carts.
Be good to get some more solid info on this one. I've done my own battery mods across 2, possibly 3 variants of the mobo.
I definitely have one that does 'interesting' things on the Demon Front hiscore table, and I think the date setting too. I'd previously put it down to some dodgey backup ram that I'd have to take a look at, at some point.

I'd be interested to hear how your purchase goes Asure. I know some of these sellers stick a library photo up and what you get is a very battered unit in much need of TLC. Doesn't mean it can't be given the appropriate TLC of course..

So, status quo is we don't have DDP white label working on cart yet right?
I'm really tempted to buy myself a DDP right now :)

Anybody get cart(s) from Lydz or Sheep yet?

@twistedsymphony Any luck with those decrypted roms yet? I don't think you need to remove anything on the pcb, there is likely to be a 'bootstrap' of normal code before the cart enters encrypted mode, i'm not sure.

My DDP is en route from Sheep. I have a (physically) switched Ketsui already, and am just waiting for Sheep to list an Espgaluda so I can grab that at a reasonable price too.

@twistedsymphony Any luck with those decrypted roms yet? I don't think you need to remove anything on the pcb, there is likely to be a 'bootstrap' of normal code before the cart enters encrypted mode, i'm not sure.
I've tested them with and without the security ICs and it doesn't work with either. I'm sure it has to do with the PAL but the PAL isn't dumped and there's no information on what needs to be changed so I'm not sure what else you'd like me to test?

Do these decrypted ROMs work for you when running them as Killing Blade in MAME?

The changes made to black label make it a better game. If you want a version of white label for the collection, you can grab the PGM2 revision which has the unique easy mode, more frequent power ups and nice sound quality.

Ah, i didn't know you tested them with the ic's in place yet. Thank you for doing that :)

There must be something that enables/disables the encryption mechanism, as lydz posted carts with no arm in them. I'm gonna try and see as soon as my PGM gets here (and if it works).

MAME has the cpu running unencrypted code, as they simply decrypt the rom before starting up if it's required.

I might look into the software side during the xmas holidays but no promises ;)

The changes made to black label make it a better game. If you want a version of white label for the collection, you can grab the PGM2 revision which has the unique easy mode, more frequent power ups and nice sound quality.
it's better yes but would be nice to have it like the original and selectable. Ps thanks to everyone I was able to do convert and install in cabinet yesterday for ddp DOJ BLon kovsh cart :thumbup:

If you want a version of white label for the collection, you can grab the PGM2 revision which has the unique easy mode, more frequent power ups and nice sound quality.
I have the PGM2 version of DDP, having now played both that version and the PGM1 version on my converted cart I do like the PGM2 version better. I'm a sucker for games with good audio and the improved sound really sells it for me. I feel like the sprites have more color depth to them too, though that might just be my imagination.

Once you remove the purist Cave nerd cardboard box stigma of the added Easy Mode, the PGM2 version is IMO the ultimate version of the white label. Just as you pointed out @twistedsymphony, the audio alone is stunning and the colours not as dull/washed out as the PCB/cart. It definitely pops more vibrantly too. I enjoy the Easy mode a lot, it's a nice break from the madness (but still difficult for my skill level). Well happy to have scored one cheap before all the hype.

The conversion carts are also supposed to have better sound then the actual PCB version, though I've never put them side by side to compare.

Back