What's new
That's a KOV2
aside from the 3.3V wires the only modifications seem to be on one of the PALs

it looks to have 2 cut pins and 2 sets of jumped pins (one with a wire over the chip, one on the pins on the underside of the PCB)

there is also 2 pins jumped on the program ROM.
I think these are the exact modification listed by Apocalypse earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
and also some pics of the v3 motherboard I got, but there seems to be some sloppy soldering done around the battery holder, so is it a original v3 or just a v1 or v2 with a coin cell?
Check Any PGM Conversion info out there?

The underside of the board, that area that's either all blocked out or not (upper right on the picture), that's going to be your surest way to tell if it's v3 or not.

Here is a close up of the bridges and jumper wires I see on it.

Attachments

• 034895B9-F4D5-4891-AB54-693361646342.jpeg
    034895B9-F4D5-4891-AB54-693361646342.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 1A230EB8-36B7-45AC-AF94-2FFD356FE99B.jpeg
    1A230EB8-36B7-45AC-AF94-2FFD356FE99B.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 207
and also some pics of the v3 motherboard I got, but there seems to be some sloppy soldering done around the battery holder, so is it a original v3 or just a v1 or v2 with a coin cell?
Check Any PGM Conversion info out there?
The underside of the board, that area that's either all blocked out or not (upper right on the picture), that's going to be your surest way to tell if it's v3 or not.
Can you identify these then?
The one on the left is one I modded myself with a coin cell holder, the one on the right is the v3 I got from sheep with the coin cell installed, both look identical to me, besided the one I got from sheep says -12 in the PCB silkscreen and my ‘old’ one -8

Attachments

• C829675D-9DA8-422C-8E58-88D9F8A8543F.jpeg
    C829675D-9DA8-422C-8E58-88D9F8A8543F.jpeg
    820.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 278F613C-27A9-492E-B955-2552E9FCB778.jpeg
    278F613C-27A9-492E-B955-2552E9FCB778.jpeg
    827.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 120FB672-A02A-4E0C-96FE-2522F21D31E7.jpeg
    120FB672-A02A-4E0C-96FE-2522F21D31E7.jpeg
    754.8 KB · Views: 190
The v3 has a circle silk screened on the board around the coin cell. The v1 and 2 have a square.
Thanks, double checked both of my boards, both have a square around the battery.
So it looks like @sheep_nova is selling modded v2’s as v3... :(

Not that it matters much I would say

I also have square under my battery sold as v3 from sheep nova

Ill snap a picture of mine when I get home tonight. I bought this board as non working and it sure as shit wouldn't boot when I got it. I put in a new coincell and it fired right up. I've heard conflicting stories about wether or not the board requires the battery to boot carts and tbh, I've never checked the theory personally. Maybe I'll give that a whirl tonight as well.

Ill snap a picture of mine when I get home tonight. I bought this board as non working and it sure as shit wouldn't boot when I got it. I put in a new coincell and it fired right up. I've heard conflicting stories about wether or not the board requires the battery to boot carts and tbh, I've never checked the theory personally. Maybe I'll give that a whirl tonight as well.
Checked my board last night and it had a battery carrier and no battery... never had any issues booting games. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first board I got had no battery, no battery holder, no nothing and it works just fine. Now that I think of it, I haven't checked the second one I got...

I'm only talking V3 motherboards. I know for a fact the other two version work without batteries and Twisted confirmed it holds true on V3. I'm not sure what possibly changed in my V3 that made it start working, but it's been flawless since I put that battery in.

I don't know if mine is actually V3 or not. Everyone was saying that the battery holder was for V3 so I looked for that. then it became... some older ones were retrofitted so look for the circular silk-screen, so now I have to go back and recheck :P

I've gone ahead and bought a DDP DOJ cart to go with my PGM from China :)
I'm determined to get the White Label prog rom going as well, we'll see how it goes once items arrive.

Basically what we've seen to this stage are decrypted program roms, that are re-encrypted to match the encryption of the cart they sit on.
When powered on the carts either decrypt the program to ram(?1), or provide transparant decrypted access to the mainboard (?2)(so that the program appears unencrypted when the mainboard access it, but when dumping the rom it appears encrypted to a reader.)

I still don't know if it's #1 (decrypt to ram) or #2 on real hardware. Mame just decrypts it and presents decrypted code to the cpu.
AMB's work basically was to re-encrypt the unencrypted data obtained from Mame, and then re-encrypt it using the xor(?) table from the other game. I've no idea what the PAL is doing, perhaps memory region setup or rom size mapping.

The ARM can have external program code (encrypted) on a chip, or even internal code (some is dumped by exploits) but in the case of bootlegging it doesnt matter, we have the xor table(s) to make things work. Still, it would be nice to figure out how to bypass the arm and run unencrypted code.

For reference sake, I dug out both of my DDP2: Beestorm kits because I knew I kept one of each motherboard in there in good condition.

Here's a NOS Revision 1 with a replaced battery from yaton:

revision1-a.JPG
revision1-c.JPG

And here's a Revision 3 motherboard from sheep_nova:

revision3-a.JPG

From memory, the Revision 1 motherboards that I tried froze on some games. I believe I sold my Revision 2 motherboard to @Derick2k if he has the time to check?

Attachments

• revision1-b.JPG
    revision1-b.JPG
    362.7 KB · Views: 183
  • revision3-b.JPG
    revision3-b.JPG
    385.2 KB · Views: 183
AMB's work basically was to re-encrypt the unencrypted data obtained from Mame, and then re-encrypt it using the xor(?) table from the other game. I've no idea what the PAL is doing, perhaps memory region setup or rom size mapping.
Just an FYI, there is no PAL modifications or Jumper wires on the DDPDOJ conversions, that's ONLY on the Espgaluda and Ketsui conversions.

what I don't understand on the AMB and the SN conversions is why A20 is jumped to ground on the program ROM.

I get that this is to make a 27c322 work like a 27c160, but why not just use a 160? or why not simply double the image before writing to a 322? both of those make a whole lot more sense then jumping the pins with solder, unless there is some other reason I'm missing.

Last edited:
Here is a close up of the bridges and jumper wires I see on it.
These pics are all from a KOV2 nine dragons. This is the same mod described earlier in the thread here, the only difference is they're tying pin 24 (5v) to pin 5 on U15. They bridged pin 31/32 on U8 since there's no switch for Arrange/Original.

Basically what we've seen to this stage are decrypted program roms, that are re-encrypted to match the encryption of the cart they sit on.
That appears to be true for the DOJ & ESPGaluda carts I have. The Ketsui cart I have runs unencrypted code.
It would be nice to know what is implemented in that Ketsui pcb (PRG one) to make the cart work with decrypted code. Did you ensure that the code burnt in the eprom is the decrypted one?

Back