What's new
No idea but here is an archive with the files if anyone is interested.

http://www.ikotsu.co.uk/ketsui_decrypted.zip

The archive contains 2 files.

ketsui.bin
ketsui.u38

The first file, ketsui.bin is a dump of the AMB cart. It contains ketsui at 0x0 and the Trap15 arrange 0x200000
The second, ketsui.u38 was taken from the MAME ket.zip and decrypted.

Any way I can identify which version of Ketsui is used for the conversion from sheep?
Different gameplay or anything?

@PascalP Send the 27C322 or 27C160 to me and i can dump it, then compare it. Or dump it if you have an eprom reader.
That's the main program rom and holds all the 'secrets' :)

The version Yosai sent is strange

1. I have a dump from the cavemameui thing i posted before. "ketsui fully decrypted.bin"
2. There's the AMB dump in 2048K (yosai)
3. There's the Trap15 arrange (yosai)
4. There's the u38 (yosai zip, mame decrypted. PCB or Cart (boot?))

The 'ketsui_fully_decrypted" i posted before, does not match any of those dumps.

Explaining the AMB vs. U38 @yosai does your cart have high-score saving? (Amb's versions usually have that added.)
I can't explain the 'fully decrypted' versus the U38 difference. I need to unscramble the roms and stuff, but first get my daughter to bed. :)
Maybe the "fully decrypted" is from PCB with no high score (like Espgaluda didn't have until i released the AMB dump around christmas :) .), or maybe yosai's U38 is from a PCB instead of cart.

Edit: I see u38 is from Mame's original PCB dump, so this will have no score saving and be from the single PCB version.
Edit2: it would be fun to see if @yosai 's cart can run those decrypted roms i posted earlier ;)

Last edited:
@Asure, sure, I can post it your way.
Should I also sent the motherboard with it for you to test the cart?

AMB's work basically was to re-encrypt the unencrypted data obtained from Mame, and then re-encrypt it using the xor(?) table from the other game. I've no idea what the PAL is doing, perhaps memory region setup or rom size mapping.
Just an FYI, there is no PAL modifications or Jumper wires on the DDPDOJ conversions, that's ONLY on the Espgaluda and Ketsui conversions.
what I don't understand on the AMB and the SN conversions is why A20 is jumped to ground on the program ROM.

I get that this is to make a 27c322 work like a 27c160, but why not just use a 160? or why not simply double the image before writing to a 322? both of those make a whole lot more sense then jumping the pins with solder, unless there is some other reason I'm missing.
KoV2 uses a 27C322 but there is a jumper right next to where the 27C322 goes. If you cut the existing bridge 2-3 and bridge 1-2 instead, you can drop in a 27C160 without running extra wires. PAL modifications remain the same.

Explaining the AMB vs. U38 @yosai does your cart have high-score saving? (Amb's versions usually have that added.)

Edit2: it would be fun to see if @yosai 's cart can run those decrypted roms i posted earlier ;)
Both versions on the cart save high scores. The decrypted ROM is ketsui_v100_r3.u38 from the PCB. Decrypted using a custom tool that shady994 & idc wrote.

it would be fun to see if @yosai 's cart can run those decrypted roms i posted earlier ;)
My programmer is in storage at the moment as we're in the process of moving house. The cart was built using a Knights Of Valour 2 juding by the PCB.

So here is a picture of the coin cell on the V3 board.

S0fe9jgr.jpg

I got my Ketsui carts in. They're both KoV2 because he left the labels on the carts. They don't function like my DOJ that was made by arcademodbios. That cart starts up like a regular PGM cart and displays the igs splash screen. This Ketsui boots straight to the game. Dip Switch 1 let's you access the menu. 8 doesn't save high scores.

Game plays great. It's normal Ketsui, not the Trap version.

Last edited:
If you burn the ROM and include both versions you can install a switch between the 2

Scramble has already sold a few of these on YAJ.

They're also selling some of the CPS1->CPS2 conversions.

The v3 has a circle silk screened on the board around the coin cell. The v1 and 2 have a square.
Thanks, double checked both of my boards, both have a square around the battery.So it looks like @sheep_nova is selling modded v2’s as v3... :(

Not that it matters much I would say
I also have square under my battery sold as v3 from sheep nova
I checked my "v3" from sheep nova, and sure enough it lacks the circle. If this means it's a v2 modded for coincell, should we be using ML2032's instead of the CR2032's that are in there. Is the system trying to charge my CR2032 while it runs?

I checked my "v3" from sheep nova, and sure enough it lacks the circle. If this means it's a v2 modded for coincell, should we be using ML2032's instead of the CR2032's that are in there. Is the system trying to charge my CR2032 while it runs?
Easy enough to check with a multimeter.

I think a resistor and a diode are usually removed when disabling the charging circuit. Should be pretty easy to spot, the diode is a through hole one on the top and the resistor a SMD one on the bottom.

Easy enough to check with a multimeter.
I think a resistor and a diode are usually removed when disabling the charging circuit. Should be pretty easy to spot, the diode is a through hole one on the top and the resistor a SMD one on the bottom.
Ok, just checked my sheep nova "v3" with square markings, without the CR2032 it reads 4.7v when powered on, and with the battery in it reads 4.4v. I don't think any other mods have been done to this board, he just put in a coin cell holder. If I'm understanding things correctly, I should just replace this battery with an LIR2032.

Reactions: nem
Hi, I'm new to this board! This seems to be one of the very few resources about IGS PGM, so I hope to share some info!

Basically I want to do some conversions, but don't want to sacrifice existing (working) carts. I have little interest in a multi-cart, I just want the games that have no cartridge release. There is very little information about the internals of the PGM compared to MVS, so I decided to make a start with decoding some pinouts.

Attached is a schematic from my Knights of Valour 256-1 board (A-ROM, B-ROM and M-ROM), as I thought that would be easiest without the ASIC or any PALs.

I started this on an A4 sheet but ran out of space, that is why things are a bit tight. When I started with the M ROM I didn't realise it is used 8-bit wide (even though the Mame driver should've been a hint), that is why address lines are all off by one. They should start at A0 and not A-1, but that is what you get when you operate an 8/16 rom in byte mode. :)

The WE line of all the A and B ROMs should be BYTE mode as well, just set to 16-bit. I didn't spend too much time looking at the chip selection logic for them, so that may need some work as well.

For now I didn't label all networks, any signal A* should be A-ROM, B* should be B-ROM and M* should be M-ROM. The pinout of the cartridge looks a bit messy, I have no idea how much is my error, intentional obfuscation or manufacturing convenience...

There are probably plenty of errors as I did this while watching TV, and I'm sure my probe has slipped a few times as well. I plan to compare this against a Dragon World II after I've done the P and T board.

By the way, has anyone looked at BIOS calls, or any headers and entry points for the executable ROM? I planned to ask the authors of the Mame driver, but they seem to have left the scene and I don't want to bother them.

Update: Attached a WIP of the PROG board as well. This is for the 0257-1 board with P and T roms and the ASIC. All the ROM footprints seem to be in parallel for the P-ROMs, the smaller 27c040 footprints are for separate HI and LO ROMs. All the data and address lines are connected, just for different pinouts. All the P-ROM access seems to go through the ASIC, which I can't be arsed to trace today, and I don't know if I'll have time in the remainder of the year.

Attachments

• board.pdf
    339.5 KB · Views: 225
  • prog-0257-1.pdf
    235.7 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
So who was the user willing to do these conversions? I know someone sent their cart off. How'd it turn out? How much did it run?

I've got 2/3 of the conversions already, but I'd like to get the third.

Back