What's new
The thought has crossed my mind a number of times but I wonder if it would be possible to convert an all-in-1 PGM board to a Cart by simply removing all of the ROMs and security ASIC and installing them on a CART PCB.

The thought has crossed my mind a number of times but I wonder if it would be possible to convert an all-in-1 PGM board to a Cart by simply removing all of the ROMs and security ASIC and installing them on a CART PCB.
I mean, isn't that basically how the Cave conversions are made?

I think there's some additional ROM modding needed though.

I mean, isn't that basically how the Cave conversions are made?
no, not exactly. the security ASIC is patched out to make it not needed, and I there are other modifications to the program ROM.

what I'm asking is if by transplanting the original ASIC as well if you could make a cart without modifying any of the program code. The idea being that if you had a dead all-in-1 board if you could salvage the ROMs and security chips to make an "original cart" without any hacked code.

I suppose looking at the code for those games that exist on both Cart and All-in-1 boards would give us clues as to what the differences are.

Confirmed there's an official cart release for Spectral Vs Generation. It's my rarest cart by a good bit.
Yes very hard to find, searching one for 2 years now.The only one i've seen was at 800€... Like it but not a t this priceSo if someone could do a convert...
Yeah, there's apparently one on ebay, but that price is... not nice :) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECTRAL-VS-GENERATION-IGS-PGM-RARE/273831142713
Wait, what? I think I passed on this cart from YAJ twice at around $300... is it actually rare?

It's not that rare and although people try to sell it for silly money, it seldom sells for it.

Confirmed there's an official cart release for Spectral Vs Generation. It's my rarest cart by a good bit.
Yes very hard to find, searching one for 2 years now.The only one i've seen was at 800€... Like it but not a t this price
So if someone could do a convert...
We sold 5 pcs during the past 2 years^+^, about USD160-200.00,didn't list it on ebay.It all depends the price we get it.

It's not that rare and although people try to sell it for silly money, it seldom sells for it.
This. It's not common but it does come up for sale. The same sellers as always have it at stupid prices on eBay

8000y is a great price though, nice score!
Nah, that's the normal... I just snagged one for that price (for the PCB) a few weeks ago...

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w353276811

Although I'll say his PCB looks much cleaner, and different...

Yes very hard to find, searching one for 2 years now.The only one i've seen was at 800€... Like it but not a t this priceSo if someone could do a convert...
We sold 5 pcs during the past 2 years^+^, about USD160-200.00,didn't list it on ebay.It all depends the price we get it.
Hi i'm florentinus_99 (EBay and Mail) i'm the ONE ^^who asked you lot of time this cartridge ?

5 times you talked about PCB not cartridge i think ?

I’m following this thread with interest.

I got 3 conversions and 2 of them had sound issues : kestsui and doj (Espgaluda was fine as far as I can tell)

- ketsui :
Had a very weird distorted noise when exiting a menu item in test mode. “Piuuuuushrrrrrrrrrr”
Strangely enough, I was able to fix this by changing the diodes used for voltage drop from glass package to plastic package (reusing the ones from DOJ) and tapping power from CB4 as to match the Espgaluda conversion that has no issues. Go figure...
(I know, best would be a voltage regulator).

- DOJ :
Has the same issues mentioned earlier in this thread (page36).
I removed the diodes and tapped power from the voltage regulator from the PRG board. The problem remains.

did anybody figured it out?

Also, why are the differences between AMB DOJBL and Apocalypse? DOJBL?
Is one more suitable than the other?

do we know if the freeze happens on your ROM PCBs?
I asked @ekorz if he could check and he kindly did so :) He could indeed play through the first WL loop just fine! Here's a short video of the ending sequence he recorded: click

Could there be a relatively easy way to circumvent the bug on Knights of Valor conversions, maybe even without further modification of the ROM file?
That's awesome news! Now I really should rewrite mine with the dual boot rom and play around with this.

do we know if the freeze happens on your ROM PCBs?
I asked @ekorz if he could check and he kindly did so :) He could indeed play through the first WL loop just fine! Here's a short video of the ending sequence he recorded: click

Could there be a relatively easy way to circumvent the bug on Knights of Valor conversions, maybe even without further modification of the ROM file?
Oh, does this mean that burning the DOJ roms on Fluffys PCBs will allow playing through WL without freezes?
That sounds great!

Oh, does this mean that burning the DOJ roms on Fluffys PCBs will allow playing through WL without freezes?
That sounds great!
All I can say is I played the whole way through, and it didn't freeze. That video is of the ending, and then the attract mode showing it's white-label. Here are the instructions on what prog roms I used and how I assembled them: PGM single game PCB assembly and troubleshooting

If someone has more info on how to make it freeze reliably, let me know and I can test again. All I was told was "it always freezes no matter what" but clearly it didn't for me. I did bomb a lot and die a lot. Maybe it only freezes when there are a lot of enemies on the screen?

That sounds great!
All I can say is I played the whole way through, and it didn't freeze. That video is of the ending, and then the attract mode showing it's white-label. Here are the instructions on what prog roms I used and how I assembled them: PGM single game PCB assembly and troubleshooting
If someone has more info on how to make it freeze reliably, let me know and I can test again. All I was told was "it always freezes no matter what" but clearly it didn't for me. I did bomb a lot and die a lot. Maybe it only freezes when there are a lot of enemies on the screen?
I told you it freezes no matter what on the Knights of Valor conversion :)

Since you indicated that you use Fluffy's PCB instead, which is different in some ways (notably what Fluffy pointed out here), I reached out to you. And, lo and behold, it didn't freeze for you (I on the other hand, using the conversion, never managed to not freeze it no matter how hard I tried). So the technical detail Fluffy pointed out might make the relevant difference.

My conjecture is that, maybe the bug could be circumvented on KoV conversions just by lifting some pin. Or something, take this with a big grain of salt, could be completely wrong, I'm quite the newcomer when it comes to these things, and I haven't had the leisure yet to further think this through.

That's merely what I wanted to demonstrate/research (and possibly came a big step closer, thanks to your help!), since I'm still very much interested in fixing WL for KoV -> DOJDUAL conversions. I suppose a number of people have them by now. Even though being conversions, they're still not exactly cheap things to buy, and I guess you could say half of the product doesn't work correctly. For me the eBay description said nothing about that, the seller probably didn't know themselves. Besides that, I'd just like being able to play WL on original hardware without having to buy, own and care for an original PCB!

Try the program roms I used on the KoV?

Back