What's new
Okay. So we know we can convert carts into other games.

But can we convert any of the full PGM PCBs to one another? Or put cart games onto PCB?
converting a pcb is less recommended as it can damaged it permanently.

a cart conversion is easier, because carts are relatively cheaper and easier to find.

Conversion of PCBs should be no different but there are only two candidates, Demon Front & The Gladiator neither of which are particular common.

Conversion of PCBs should be no different but there are only two candidates, Demon Front & The Gladiator neither of which are particular common.
Spectral vs Generation also has a pcb release but that one is not common either and probably should not be used.

Demon Front
I feel like I've seen 3-4 of these for every cart I've seen. It took me AGES to get the cart version.

Just a curiosity. Had good success with Turtles in Time.

Demon Front and especially Spectral Vs Generation seem to be ridiculously hard to get on cart rather than PCB. And SvG isn't exactly easy to get on PCB

Weird I see Demon Front carts pop up on eBay weekly. There's one for sale right now. I don't think I've ever seen the PCB version pop up.

Hi there,
I got a Knight of Valour PLUS cart and it seems to have a 3v3 voltage regulator built-in (UPC29L33), the ROMs on the second board seem to be 3v3 and have 5v to 3v3 level translators (QS3257).

Is this the case for all Knight of Valour PLUS PCBs ?

This should make the conversions easier right ? Any experience with those boards ?

Pics :
pgm1.png

pgm2.png
pgm3.png
pgm4.png
pgm5.jpg

pgm6.jpg

I dumped the roms and identified them with MAME, this is actually a Knights of Valour Super Heroes (KOVSH) PCB.
I also checked that the ICs are fed with 3.3V (kind of...)

To do a DDP DOJ conversion you need :

ddp_doj_u1.bin - program on U10 (27c322) - (get a dump from another convert, you can find this file with google, this is the only custom file, the rest is from the standard MAME romset)
m04401b032.u17 - program on U1 (27c322) - from the MAME ddpdoj romset - Don't put this on an IC socket since the clearance space inside the case is not enough. (you can manage to close it but the PCB will bend)
t04401w064.u19 - split in two files, the first half program on U3 (27c322) the second half on U7 (27c322) - from the romset
b04401w064.u1 - program on U15 (26L6420) - from the romset
a04401w064.u7 - program on U22 (26L6420) - from the romset
a04402w064.u8 - program on u23 (26L6420) - from the romset
You can leave the other ICs on the PCB

You can check your conversion in MAME by using the kovsh driver and replacing the following files in the kovsh romset :
p0600.322 - ddp_doj_u1.bin
m0600.rom - m04401b032.u17
t0600.rom - t04401w064.u19
b0600.rom - b04401w064.u1
a0600.rom - a04401w064.u7
a0601.rom - a04402w064.u8

I strongly recommend testing in MAME before doing your conversion.

I did a partial conversion (since I am waiting for my 26L6420 chips to be shipped) and I burned every file except the a and b files, I got the same results in MAME (without replacing the a and b files, 3 files) than on the actual hardware.
The program (game) works, warning message is good, backgrounds and music too, I just need the sprites and colors. I'll let you know when the chips arrived and I have a full conversion.

This seems like the best PCB for a ddpdoj conversion, it is easy (if you can de/solder SMD parts) and looks really clean since you don't need the extra 3.3V line and the "jizz" (why not use a dot of superglue and AWG32 wires... I wonder...)

Last edited:
good job! how does the label of that cart look like?
kovsh.jpg
Will the e$ay price go up ? :)
Doubt it, because that's a Superhero label ;)
KoV Plus looks just like standard KoV label, often with a red dot on it.
Yes I know, I said :

I dumped the roms and identified them with MAME, this is actually a Knights of Valour Super Heroes (KOVSH) PCB.
I will edit my first post for clarity.

Here is an image of my conversion of KOVSH to DDPDOJ.

The conversion was easy and no "jizz" required whatsoever.
KOVSH is really the best donor board for this mod IMO.
You only need to replace ROMs no other mods required.

You'll need 4 27c322 and 3 26l6420 chips.
The information I gave in my previous posts is correct, the game runs perfectly.

Have a look yourself :
DDPDOJ.jpg

DDPDOJ requires KoVSH as a donor - Ketsui and Espgaluda runs on the others.

Good to know that a straight swap works without modifying the PAL though, I really need to order the ICs to do the conversion

just as an FYI, the KoV2 cart in the guide for the Ketsui conversion is a Nine Dragons cart, not a vanilla KoV2, and you can tell by the white silkscreened traditional chinese text below U8. also, apocalypse mentioned the ROMS don't match up in MAME, but they absolutely do for Nine Dragons (it's KoV2 Plus in MAME). also, you can pull 3.3v from the 29L33 (U19 on the board in the guide), so probably not necessary to buy additional parts. on my KoV2 cart it's a uPC29L33, and I verified by measuring 3.3v on the output pin.

all of that said, if anyone has info on converting a vanilla KoV2 I'd be interested. the process is definitely not the same to Nine Dragons.

just as an FYI, the KoV2 cart in the guide for the Ketsui conversion is a Nine Dragons cart, not a vanilla KoV2, and you can tell by the white silkscreened traditional chinese text below U8. also, apocalypse mentioned the ROMS don't match up in MAME, but they absolutely do for Nine Dragons (it's KoV2 Plus in MAME). also, you can pull 3.3v from the 29L33 (U19 on the board in the guide), so probably not necessary to buy additional parts. on my KoV2 cart it's a uPC29L33, and I verified by measuring 3.3v on the output pin.

all of that said, if anyone has info on converting a vanilla KoV2 I'd be interested. the process is definitely not the same to Nine Dragons.
thanks for sharing this, Now I am a bit confused and not 100% sure what I have to looking for.
So if I would like to do a Ketsui conv by following the introduction on page 1 ---> I have to use a Nine Dragons KOV2 card?

Back