What's new

skate323k137

Enlightened
Reaction score
I decided to look into upgrading my puzzli 2 to super, and was able to do it easily.

In the MAME dumps, Puzzli2 has a 16mbit program rom, super had 2x 4mbit. Looking into v100.u5 (normal ver) I found the last half blank. That solved the mystery of size differences. Both games have 8mbit "real" program rom size, and graphics roms are the same according to mame. This is similar to upgrading puzzle de pon to puzzle de pon r ;)

Looking at the 2 proms for Puzzli2 Super, it was obvious they needed to be interleaved. I didn't want to mess with jumpers or PALs (Nor would I care to unless I absolutely had to) so the obvious answer was to merge the files properly to replace the 16mbit rom, rather than try to use U3/U4 sockets instead (like the mame dump board).

Using a simple python script I merged the files (alternate odd/even bytes) and was good to go.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import io
even = io.open( "2sp_v200.u4", "rb" ).read()
odd = io.open( "2sp_v200.u3", "rb" ).read()
interleaved = "".join( i for j in zip( even, odd ) for i in j )
io.open( "interleaved.bin", "wb" ).write( interleaved )
I doubled the file to make it 16mbit, and was good to go! I made 2 files for this upgrade. This one I have tested and upgraded my v100 puzzli2 to v200 puzlli2 super:

http://photosuckit.com/images/v200.u5 (burn to 27c160 and swap for ROM at u5 / v100)

That's all you need for the normal upgrade. For possibility of dual version cart keep reading.

This one I haven't tested, but theoretically if you hook a SPDT to A19 on the 27c160 you could toggle versions with this one:

http://photosuckit.com/images/v_200_100.u5

I didn't try it as I'm just leaving mine as a super, but if you want to try it go for it. Hook A19 (highest address line, lifted/bent to not be in socket) of the 27c160 to the middle leg of a SPDT. Hook the outer two legs of the switch to VCC / GND each. This should toggle between the low region (upgraded) and high region (v100). In theory this file will also just default to super, and should work the same as the above file if the rom is installed normally.

Last edited:
Great stuff, skate! Never played this game before but it looks cool - I'll have to be on the look out for a cart. :D

I read that Puzzli 2 Super has a Player vs COM mode, whereas regular Puzzli 2 just has 1P vs 2P. This would definitely be the version to have!

Nice! I've played the "Normal" pluzzli 2 extensively, and the vs player and adventure modes are both fun. Adding vs cpu is good to know! I honestly wasn't sure the differences I just wanted to see if I could easily update it.

It's a tough and quite unique puzzle game. Can be frustrating at first figuring out how to clear pieces but it's a house favorite over here for sure.

Great stuff, skate! Never played this game before but it looks cool - I'll have to be on the look out for a cart. :D

I read that Puzzli 2 Super has a Player vs COM mode, whereas regular Puzzli 2 just has 1P vs 2P. This would definitely be the version to have!
I can confirm after some play through that this does seem to be the major difference (the upgrade added vs cpu mode). I threw a few credits at it; the CPU is a worthy opponent but not overly cheap.

http://photosuckit.com/images/v200.u5 (burn to 27c160 and swap for ROM at u5 / v100)

That's all you need for the normal upgrade.
Just to confirm before I do the Super upgrade...

My Puzzli2 has this circuit board marked with a "V100 U5" sticker instead of a chip. I would pull this, right?

sDX77o8.jpg

Hadn't seen this before and was trying to track down a Super cart. Hard to find the cart, so this may be a good alternative. Thanks @skate323k137!
I don't think I've seen a super in recent years, but at least a year or 2 ago the normal version wasn't too hard to find. Hope you can find one and enjoy this unique game :)

I don't think I've seen a super in recent years, but at least a year or 2 ago the normal version wasn't too hard to find. Hope you can find one and enjoy this unique game
Yeah, finally found the normal Puzzli2 cart thanks to @GC8TECH! Definitely like the option to play vs. COM so I might have to pick up a 27c160 to burn. Thanks for doing the hard work.

I don't think I've seen a super in recent years, but at least a year or 2 ago the normal version wasn't too hard to find. Hope you can find one and enjoy this unique game
Yeah, finally found the normal Puzzli2 cart thanks to @GC8TECH! Definitely like the option to play vs. COM so I might have to pick up a 27c160 to burn. Thanks for doing the hard work.
IF anyone is looking for the first version (non super) i have a second cart on its way.... The first cart is already taken by @RandomRetro

t.

IF people want the original Non-Super Version cart WITH the rom mod to the SUPER edition.. i can probably source more carts to do that....

OR I could do just the eprom ONLY for a few $AUD as well + Post.

IF people want the original Non-Super Version cart WITH the rom mod to the SUPER edition.. i can probably source more carts to do that....

Quite a nice offer of you.

For folks in the US, I can burn the rom as well, though I'm in short supply of m27c160's till my next batch gets here (and lord only knows when that will be).

Quite a nice offer of you.
For folks in the US, I can burn the rom as well, though I'm in short supply of m27c160's till my next batch gets here (and lord only knows when that will be).
Thanks for the great original work on this, @skate323k137! You make your efforts sound simple, but I can tell you that it's a huge benefit to have truly skilled folks like yourself on here willing to help others. I've played the game a bit in MAME and I know it would be a hit on my PGM with my wife. I'm now looking for a Puzzli 2 cart, but it seems my Taobao source is out and I'd guess that @GC8TECH has already sold his extra copy. In any event, I'll shoot @GC8TECH an PM. And thanks to you both for offering the eprom burning service for those of us who lack the necessary equipment.

Thanks for your kind words, Yes i can get more copy's of this cart. I will reply to your PM and get this all sorted out for you :)

Back