2x6's DVD or HDD clone to SSD/CF-IDE

    • Also, because most of the HDD based games use APA, I've been able to condense them all of them onto a single HDD:
      IDOLM@STER, The (HDD)
      Mobile Suit Gundam - Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT (HDD)
      Fate - Unlimited Codes (HDD)
      Cobra - The Arcade (HDD)
      Time Crisis 4 (HDD)
      Taiko Drum Master 12 (HDD)
      Taiko Drum Master 13 (HDD)
      Taiko Drum Master 14 (HDD)

      Sadly, this will NOT work for the Taito games as they don't use a filesystem, and instead use a file lookup table, and can not coexist on the same drive:
      Battle Gear 3 (HDD)
      Battle Gear 3 Tuned (HDD)
      Zoids Infinity (HDD)
      Zoids Infinity - EX - EX Plus (HDD)
    • defor wrote:

      Also, because most of the HDD based games use APA, I've been able to condense them all of them onto a single HDD:
      IDOLM@STER, The (HDD)
      Mobile Suit Gundam - Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT (HDD)
      Fate - Unlimited Codes (HDD)
      Cobra - The Arcade (HDD)
      Time Crisis 4 (HDD)
      Taiko Drum Master 12 (HDD)
      Taiko Drum Master 13 (HDD)
      Taiko Drum Master 14 (HDD)

      Sadly, this will NOT work for the Taito games as they don't use a filesystem, and instead use a file lookup table, and can not coexist on the same drive:
      Battle Gear 3 (HDD)
      Battle Gear 3 Tuned (HDD)
      Zoids Infinity (HDD)
      Zoids Infinity - EX - EX Plus (HDD)
      I think this is the way to go. A single HDD with all games. Both from DVD/CD/HDD. The whole library with one dongle and one HDD. That would unfortunately involve modifying the DVD/CD Games and the Taito Games so they read from HDD instead.

      @defor, is that in your plans, even mid-term?
      * Arcade-projects, the site where you get the most of your arcade games.
      * If you want Drama go to Neo-Geo forum ---Darksoft
    • Ideally, YES, this would be nice but right now it's wishful thinking, and completely out of MY skillset unless a few very major things change.
      Primarily, understanding the decompression/compression mechanism of the ***GAME files found on the dongles is the cornerstone of the puzzle- note, that this doesn't make the games any more bootable, but at least would allow the editing of some core parts of nearly every game.

      Beyond that, there would likely have to be some very serious, one-off work for each game, likely by someone skilled enough to go through the entirety of each game and rewrite how drive access is handled.

      I'm sure others could comment on this, but this falls along the VERY HIGH complexity level projects out there- surpassing most all Naomi cart to CF conversions and the like.

      BUT maybe my impression is wrong-- time will tell.

      Personally, I'd be FAR more interested to see the development of a universal ATAPI/IDE emulator.
    • Like System 246/256 is based on the same hardware that the Playstation 2.
      I wonder if it's possible to manage something with a software like PS2 Loader that allow to run ISO of PS2 games with a PS2 fat directly from a HDD

      PS2 DVDs and System 246/256 DVDs are very similar, not exactly the sames but similar.

      That kind of soft will maybe allow to run ISO and maybe creating a HDD with all ISO inside.

      I'm really curious to see if PS2 loader cand be used on a System 246/256

      Unfortunatly I don't have a IDE HDD for PS2 to try to run it on a System 246/256
    • eathis wrote:

      Like System 246/256 is based on the same hardware that the Playstation 2.
      I wonder if it's possible to manage something with a software like PS2 Loader that allow to run ISO of PS2 games with a PS2 fat directly from a HDD

      PS2 DVDs and System 246/256 DVDs are very similar, not exactly the sames but similar.

      That kind of soft will maybe allow to run ISO and maybe creating a HDD with all ISO inside.

      I'm really curious to see if PS2 loader cand be used on a System 246/256

      Unfortunatly I don't have a IDE HDD for PS2 to try to run it on a System 246/256
      The general hardware specs are similar but the problem is, the games are run completely differently.

      For a ps2 game: The entire contents of the game is on the disc, the program is run from the disc and game assets are loaded from the same disc.

      For a 246/256 game: The program is loaded off of the security dongle (Looks similar to a memory card but uses a custom nand flash chip, not readable by a ps2) , then the game assets are loaded off of the dvd disc.

      Plus the two systems use completely different system bios which are not compatible, if they were somehow compatible, I am sure someone would have run 246 on ps2 by now, but due to the fact that both systems function differently, they are not cross compatible.
    • Thanks for the explanations gamemaster14 ;)

      It will be awesome if somebody found a way to create a loader like PS2 loader working on System 246/256.
      Maybe by studying a HDD image.
      Is it possible to found an image of a System 246/256 HDD on the web?

      I also wonder if it's possible to create an universal dongle that allow to run all System 246/256 games ?

      I don't like dongles and DVD for arcade systems but I love System 246/256 games...
    • eathis wrote:

      Thanks for the explanations gamemaster14 ;)

      It will be awesome if somebody found a way to create a loader like PS2 loader working on System 246/256.
      Maybe by studying a HDD image.
      Is it possible to found an image of a System 246/256 HDD on the web?

      I also wonder if it's possible to create an universal dongle that allow to run all System 246/256 games ?

      I don't like dongles and DVD for arcade systems but I love System 246/256 games...
      this is something I’m looking forward to ;)

      arcade-projects.com/forums/ind…ly-scheduled-programming/
    • eathis wrote:

      Thanks for the explanations gamemaster14 ;)

      It will be awesome if somebody found a way to create a loader like PS2 loader working on System 246/256.
      Maybe by studying a HDD image.
      Is it possible to found an image of a System 246/256 HDD on the web?

      I also wonder if it's possible to create an universal dongle that allow to run all System 246/256 games ?

      I don't like dongles and DVD for arcade systems but I love System 246/256 games...
      I know that there are people who can convert one dongle to run a different game and I believe a universal dongle is being worked on but in both cases you either need an original disc or copied disc for the game to work.

      As far as examining a hdd image, I couldn't see that being worth anyones time as very few 246/256 games even use hdds compared to all the ones that use CDs and DVDs.
    • Having an universal dongle with which you can run all games would be really awesome in my opinion.
      No need to change it anymore, you let the universal dongle on your mobo and you only have to change the CDs / DVDs.

      If a real multi is really not possible, it can be a real good solution with a SD or CF reader to replace the CD/DVD drive even if we got to have one SD/CF different for each game.
      So we can keep the originals CD/DVD games safe.

      I was talking about the original HDD because I was wondering if it can help to create a launcher but it looks like there is no file like the "Launcher.exe" of the TTX2 games that allow to run other games just by replacing some files.

      If somebody create an universal dongle you can be sure that I will by one. Dongles and CD/DVD are really a pain but that's style easier tu use than CPS3 system where it takes a looooooong time to load a new game.