What's new

deibit

Champion
Reaction score
I'm getting a Japanese 256 with some dongles, DVDs and HDD (Gundan vs Gundam Next), I'm quite new to this platform, I tried to find an answer through google, but there's no conclusive answer..

My question is.. Considering that I have the right dongle, would it be possible to clone the HDDs (and the DVD's?) and flash them to a SSD/CF-IDE? (I don't like spinnig media) :)

Yes.

Just DD the game to a CF card and you'll be set.
although
many CF cards are slower than hdd when it comes to actual throughput. GvGN is a little slower to load even on a pretty fast card from my testing.

Currently testing a few other alternate non-spinning disk solutions however.

Nice!!

Any IDE-CF would work?

Would that also work with the DVD games? (DVD image to CF)

A better solution would be a huge 1TB hard disk, with a nice menu to select the games, and then insert each dongle manually, or maybe even dongle-less ;)

The dongle is not my concern thought. What I want to avoid is having to switch DVDs or even worse to have to remove the DVD-Player to Install the HDD...

For hd games, there's absolutely no protection, so yes, any ide storage device SHOULD work- I've had luck with it.

DVD/CD games work very differently so you'd need an actual optical drive emulator.

The unified HDD solution would be nice, but won't happen without recoding the games themselves as there are a number of different ways of accessing the drives- some seem to leverage existing partition formats, others use their own, but none are simply "directories of files" as things like the TypeX and similar do.

I'm working on a combined 5.25" solution for storage (card reader and slimline optical)- with a switch for device switching (there's no slave device support) and an additional switch for the internal 246+/256 jumper in the 256.

If you can point me in the direction of a true (affordable) ATAPI optical drive emulator, i'd love to give it a shot, but nothing's as straightforwards as say, the sd2scsi, and scsi to ide adapters aren't cheap, and likely won't work with the early drive-specific games.

The combo could be also great, i didn't know there are still compatible ide optical drives around, I guess you have done a lot of research already :)

I wish i could know where to get a IDE optical drive simulator, I'm sure there must be a way.. GDEMU sounded even more complex, and I'm enjoying (and loving) it.

So, when are you releasing your combo solution? :)

If you can point me in the direction of a true (affordable) ATAPI optical drive emulator, i'd love to give it a shot, but nothing's as straightforwards as say, the sd2scsi, and scsi to ide adapters aren't cheap, and likely won't work with the early drive-specific games.
Would that be a possible solution?

I can't test it because I still don't have the 256, but maybe it's worth a try..

http://www.allarghiamoci.it/usbcdrom/

Would that be a possible solution?

I can't test it because I still don't have the 256, but maybe it's worth a try..

http://www.allarghiamoci.it/usbcdrom/
that is very nice! but in this case probably defor needs something with a IDE 40 pin connector.

Maybe it works with a usb to ide conversion :) more or less the same as the ide-scsci-sd solution (but much cheaper)

Does system 246 have any protection on the cd's them selfs? eg. Burning backup media so you dont have to were out your CD's?

Can I know

Yes.

although
many CF cards are slower than hdd when it comes to actual throughput. GvGN is a little slower to load even on a pretty fast card from my testing.

can I know is that possible to DD a DVD game (Gundam Seed Destiny) to a Hard disk / IDE SSD hard disk ?
I would like to improve the game load speed

Can I know

Yes.

although

can I know is that possible to DD a DVD game (Gundam Seed Destiny) to a Hard disk / IDE SSD hard disk ?I would like to improve the game load speed
If It's IDE, I'm afraid your options are few and expensive. If the DVD/CD is SCSI you can use this device which works pretty well. It's not 100% compatible but works in most cases.

https://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

Can I know

Yes.

although

can I know is that possible to DD a DVD game (Gundam Seed Destiny) to a Hard disk / IDE SSD hard disk ?I would like to improve the game load speed
If It's IDE, I'm afraid your options are few and expensive. If the DVD/CD is SCSI you can use this device which works pretty well. It's not 100% compatible but works in most cases.
https://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html
Thanks Darksoft, but Namco System 256 just use IDE DVD only, I would like to clone the DVD Game to a IDE Harddisk or a SSD IDE Storage, but I don't know how can let the system 256 boot form a Harddisk

can suggest me a suitable method ?

and I just find a software call "winhiip"

this software can copy a PS2 game to a harddisk , does anybody know it worsk in system 256 ? since system 256 is same as a PS2 platform

this software can copy a PS2 game to a harddisk , does anybody know it worsk in system 256 ? since system 256 is same as a PS2 platform
From my understanding, the dongles are what contain the actual program data and security keys that "boot" the games. The discs are the rest of the actual game data.

I'm sure someone could probably figure out a way to copy the discs to, say, compact flash cards, and you swap those out along with the dongles. But what'd be the point? It's cheaper/easier to just buy a compatible used DVD drive off ebay for $10~$20.

Now the HDD games, I have heard that you can clone those to another drive and they'll boot just fine (again, because the dongle is what actually boots the game).

Once the long-rumored 246/256 multi-dongle shows up, I'm sure someone will probably figure out some cool trick for replacing the DVD drives.

From my understanding, the dongles are what contain the actual program data and security keys that "boot" the games. The discs are the rest of the actual game data.

I'm sure someone could probably figure out a way to copy the discs to, say, compact flash cards, and you swap those out along with the dongles. But what'd be the point? It's cheaper/easier to just buy a compatible used DVD drive off ebay for $10~$20.

Now the HDD games, I have heard that you can clone those to another drive and they'll boot just fine (again, because the dongle is what actually boots the game).

Once the long-rumored 246/256 multi-dongle shows up, I'm sure someone will probably figure out some cool trick for replacing the DVD drives.
I understand buy a new DVD Drive is the most easy way, clone to hard disk / SSD / CF have two advantage for me :

1 - I can make the case smaller
2 - speed of loading game can improve

Does anyone have a list of what games were available in hard drive format and which were CD/DVD only?

Ridge Racer V - Arcade Battle (CD-ROM)
Bloody Roar 3 (CD-ROM)
Technic Beat (DVD-ROM)
Vampire Night (CD-ROM)
Tekken 4 (DVD-ROM)
Wangan Midnight R (CD-ROM)
Smash Court Pro Tournament (CD-ROM)
Soul Calibur II (DVD-ROM)
Wangan Midnight (CD-ROM)
Netsu Chuu! Pro Baseball 2002 (CD-ROM)
Battle Gear 3 (HDD)
Pride GP 2003 (DVD-ROM)
Time Crisis 3 (DVD-ROM)
Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta - A.E.U.G. vs. Titans (DVD-ROM)
Dragon Chronicle - Legendary Master Ark (CD-ROM)
Battle Gear 3 Tuned (HDD)
Zoids Infinity (HDD)
Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta - A.E.U.G. vs. Titans DX (DVD-ROM)
Capcom Fighting Jam (DVD-ROM)
Tekken 5 - 5.1(DVD-ROM)
Dragon Chronicle Online - Great Sky Battle (CD-ROM)
Cobra - The Arcade (HDD)
IDOLM@STER, The (HDD)
Taiko Drum Master 7 (DVD-ROM, CD-ROM)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - Federation vs. Z.A.F.T. (DVD-ROM)
Zoids Infinity - EX - EX Plus (HDD)
Tekken 5 - Dark Resurrection (DVD-ROM)
Super Dragon Ball Z (DVD-ROM)
Druaga Online - The Story of Aon (DVD-ROM)
Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix (DVD-ROM)
Mobile Suit Gundam Quiz Warrior (DVD-ROM)
Soul Calibur III - Arcade Edition (DVD-ROM)
Time Crisis 4 (HDD)
Taiko Drum Master 8 (DVD-ROM)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny - Federation vs. Z.A.F.T. II (DVD-ROM)
Battle of YuYu Hakusho - Deathmatch! Dark Martial Arts Association, The (DVD-ROM)
Train with Everyone - Whole Brain Training (DVD-ROM)
Quiz & Variety Suku Suku Inufuku 2 - More Suku Suku (CD-ROM)
Taiko Drum Master 9 (DVD-ROM)
Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix 2 (DVD-ROM)
Taiko Drum Master 10 (DVD-ROM)
Sengoku Basara X (DVD-ROM)
Mobile Suit Gundam - Gundam vs. Gundam (DVD-ROM)
Taiko Drum Master 11 (DVD-ROM, CD-ROM)
Taiko Drum Master 11 - Asian Edition (DVD-ROM)
Fate - Unlimited Codes (HDD)
Taiko Drum Master 12 (HDD)
Mobile Suit Gundam - Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT (HDD)
Taiko Drum Master 12 - Asian Edition (HDD)
Taiko Drum Master 13 (HDD)
Taiko Drum Master 14 (HDD)

Back