What's new
Sounds like a plan. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yeah I think Hummer and ID5 were the last games released for it which were 2009, so the Lindbergh is reaching 10 years since end of Production.

Does Sega still consider these games within their Service window?
Sega no longer even makes sells license cards for id5 and hasn't for years. Their service window is fairly short. Part of it is to force obsolescence and get ops to upgrade. Gotta remember they already closed down ID6, 7, and now 8 so that Zero has its time in the spot light. From what I understand they no longer sell cards for 8.

Out of interest, I don't know how much it helps here - but Blazblue and I believe other Type X2 games have been cracked/unlocked to work on non Type X2 hardware (loads on a normal Windows PC) and from memory it worked pretty well.

Lindbergh runs on a custom Linux distribution but I would assume the core process for unlocking the game to work on non Lindbergh hardware would be similar?

You're talking about completely porting the custom drivers and kernel to an updated platform, but would it be possible to break open the game itself instead?

I believe the game would still need to be run on the same brand of hardware, but the game simply ignores the checks for the specific driver/firmware on the GPU

As far as I'm aware all the Sega PC based arcade hardware runs on Intel/Nvidia, so that's a start

I'm guessing the reason for not going this route is to prevent people playing these games on non arcade hardware, but in the case of driving games especially that's a bit of a moot point

the reason is that Linux executables don't work well outside their compiled kernel. So they're like kind of tied. It's not like with DirectX. If you take it to another Linux it won't run.

If i understood correctly the teknoparrot guys are also working on Lindbergh "emulation", anyclue what their approach is?

Not sure. But I know previous works from Nico Giansanti aka Jackalus aka Tecnoraver aka TecnoParrot and it's usually full of bugs. This is a job very meticulous, so until I dont see t working properly my expectations are low tbh.

Yes. I heard that jayroxfox did the menu of the multi for jackalus. A multi that he stole from @android so not sure what did he do...

Given the level of knowledge android has on the Sega PC based arcade platforms, is this something he would be able to help with?

I have a project idea in mind, which is porting Lindbergh games to another platform.
What is the goal we want to reach?
Run on a different kernel/linux distro? What if you go the other way around?
Let's assume there is some games on platform X. Would it be easier to run games from platform X on Lindbergh?

From the docs on github i can see that they went the 'run on another kernel/linux' route.
Probably a generic linux which can then in turn run on many different pc's.
And a lof of binary patching / fake /dev and /dev rerouting was going on.

For TypeX hardware to run linux that's not such a big deal. And it could be done on a dual boot option.
You select TypeX or Lindbergh at boot. Then it boots into linux and we go from there.
But you still need to reverse engineer and tunnel all the i/o and OpenGL calls into different devices.
That's a LOT of work :(

Do we have a hdd image of the Lindbergh (multi) without the games somewhere?

I know my way around linux so we can at least see how this thing boots and document a bit of the first steps. Then set targets from there. Also be aware, i have no TypeX or Lindbergh :)

Yes. I heard that jayroxfox did the menu of the multi for jackalus. A multi that he stole from @android so not sure what did he do...
Which is why I mentioned it and wondered if that level of trust can be put upon someone willing to help, let alone help this community.

I have a project idea in mind, which is porting Lindbergh games to another platform.
What is the goal we want to reach?Run on a different kernel/linux distro? What if you go the other way around?
Let's assume there is some games on platform X. Would it be easier to run games from platform X on Lindbergh?
I think @Darksoft wants to get it working outside of Lindbergh so that when the hardware slowly dies out and ceases to exist, we can all continue to play the games we are so obsessed over without worrying about what hardware our games will reside.

This is similar-ish to another project i'm working on - given that wraps up well i have a buddy that's willing to lend me a TX3 to mess around.

Is there an img dump of the existing linux system on Lindbergh? I ask this because the game developers do a lot more than just customizing the kernel which can work out to be a major headache to rip anything out of their systems and put into a new one.

Random example a year or two ago I started poking at Megatouch as I had received an Ion for stupidly cheap. Ripping the games out to work on anything else with respect to that software is damn-near impossible due to binaries being compiled for CentOS5 and the environment changing so much between even 5 to 6 that there was no point to even bother trying. Things like library versioning changes, path locations change, etc.

A loader may be feasible but just a fair warning that these games may flat out not work on any other distribution depending up on how they were compiled/linked.

that's for the expert to find out....

There are dumps in mame.

Wouldn't this be something that could run as a virtual machine under another host os.
JVS is basically just serial, so maybe the lindbergh jvs adapter presents itself to it's OS as a linux serial port device.

Virtualbox is mostly open source, so it should be possible to tweak the virtual machine hardware in it. It can run on a windows host and a linux host.

I think that might be possible, but no matter which way you slice it, that's emulation.

What Darksoft is looking for is someone to port the entire platform, which would make it completely original, other than it running on different spec hardware

This is common in modern games, the primary platform is typically a console and games are ported to PC, sometimes really well (Deus Ex Human Revolution), sometimes really badly (anything from WB Games for the past 3 years)

Back