What's new

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

as you know from this thread. I tried to document and extract the code of so many JVS I/O as I could. See here:
JVS Information extractor

I made a tool to extract the code of the TMP90PH44N microcontroller that can be found in many of them.

For sure there will be some I/O missing, so this is my request for you to check your SEGA I/Os, just going to the test menu and see if you have any JVS I/O that its description is not listed below. THIS APPLIES ONLY TO SEGA JVS I/O:

"SEGA CORPORATION;I/O BD JVS;837-14572;Ver1.00;2005/10"
"SEGA ENTERPRISES,LTD.;I/O BD JVS;837-13551 ;Ver1.00;98/10"
"SEGA ENTERPRISES,LTD.;837-13844-01 I/O CNTL BD2 ;Ver1.00;99/07"
"SEGA ENTERPRISES,LTD.;I/O 838-13683B ;Ver1.07;99/06"
"SEGA ENTERPRISES,LTD.;I/O 838-13683D ;Ver1.09;99/11"

If you have one not listed here, please let me know and we'll try to secure them so they can be documented and eventually included in MAME.

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks!

That's right. But I'm actually looking for PCBs from SEGA, those that have a TMP90PH44N microcontroller, that we know how to dump.

Thanks!

Just so you know, unrelated to JVS IO boards we have been working on developing method for dumping TMP90* mcu

Maybe at some point we will find success and will dump these io boards too

@Darksoft that is awesome! I wrongly assumed these were protected part, and had not specifically checked the datasheet :thumbsup:

@Darksoft that is awesome! I wrongly assumed these were protected part, and had not specifically checked the datasheet :thumbsup:
Nope, they are all z80 based IIRC. Also the newest ICs that you can find on type 1.5 and type 3 I found out that were also z80 based, so probably they used the same code with some small modifications...

Another post back from the dead...
I've beel trying to read my own sega I/O Tmp90 to resurrect a broken I/O that I burned myself changing the imput voltage.
I tried to follow the instructions on the TMP90 datasheet and got something like this:
View attachment TMP90 Adapter v2.pdf

But on my reader, I only get errors. i'm trying to read it as a Hitachi Semiconductor HN27256G (12.5V) but no luck.
Later i found that you, Darksoft, dumped a lot of those TMP90, but still I can't write it back to a new chip...

As you can see I think that the version of the I/O board that I have is not on the dumped list.
photo_2019-10-22_09-50-06.jpg

Can you give me some advice?
Thanks.

Hi,

good to see more activity on this. This code is already dumped and it's the 4th on the list in this thread.

The TMP90 is unfortunately a OTP (One time Programable), so if it was already written, you won't be able to write it again. I also doubt that you will be able to find empty TMP90, but if you do, please let me know.

@everyone, if you have a JVS type 1 or Jamma please plug it. If the revision shown is not dumped, LET ME KNOW and I 'll make sure it's dumped and preserved in MAME.

Thanks!

I bought 3 from china, but how do I know if they’re empty?
First I’ll have to know how to read it...
You’re right , I saw later that this rev eas in the list, but get confused as it isn’t on the file you share.
Could you help me to make the hardware to read them?
Thanks!

Could you help me to make the hardware to read them?
I can help you fix your reader if you post the schematics here, so everyone can benefit and make their own reader. I mean the "TMP90 Adapter.sch" file. How does that sound?

i'm trying to read it as a Hitachi Semiconductor HN27256G (12.5V) but no luck.
That's correct. You can read it as a 27256 Eprom. The output file will have 0x8000 bytes on size. The content will be just duplicated.

Here is the corrected Schematics. Can you please fix the PCB and share? Thanks.

Attachments

• TMP90 Adapter_Darksoft.zip
    7.8 KB · Views: 149
Done!

Attachments

• TMP90 adapter.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 150
  • TMP90 Adapter_Gerber.zip
    49.7 KB · Views: 144
Did you try manually applying the changes that I made? It should be a couple of jump wires.

I just check the board and the schematics and they look good to me. If you can confirm that applying the changes on the PCB that you are using right now, works properly, then we are good to go. :thumbsup:

Back