What's new

skate323k137

Enlightened
Reaction score
I got a PM this morning asking about power stone 2 VMU support. I knew the following already:

The JP version at least supports VMU and controller, with full analog on the Dreamcast thumbstick

What I didn't know:

How to unlock the items X(

So @psychicdrive told me he heard you're supposed to use a save file from the home version. So I started with mine, played the game, no difference. Then I realized something really simple... Japanese people weren't playing the american dreamcast version lol. So I dug up an unlocked save for the import hoping it would help, but alas, I'm stuck and again no extra items.

In test mode there is a VMU test in controller test. It tells me ON for plugged in VMU and OFF for unplugged so I know the system is reading and seeing the cards.

All of this could be moot though, as just like MvC2, there is a cheat code menu in test mode. I have to wonder, can power stone 2 be hacked for unlock like MVC2 and project justice? Am I missing something obvious with the VMU stuff?

Quick dig into the netboot image:

6b60b4 SELECT OPTION = 1P LEFT or RIGHT
6b60d8 MODIFY SETTING = 1P UP or DOWN
6b60f8 ENTER = 1P SHOT1
6b6114 EXIT = 1P START & SHOT1
6b6138 PASSWORD NG !!
6b6148 PASSWORD OK !! LEVEL 3 ITEMS RELEASED.
6b6170 PASSWORD OK !! LEVEL 4 ITEMS RELEASED.
6b6198 PASSWORD OK !! LEVEL 5 ITEMS RELEASED.
6b61c0 PASSWORD OK !! LEVEL 6 ITEMS RELEASED.
6b61e8 PASSWORD OK !! LEVEL 7 ITEMS RELEASED.
6b6210 PASSWORD OK !! < PRIDE > RELEASED.
6b6234 PASSWORD OK !! < MEL > RELEASED.

I wish I could do any testing but the cables for me to connect my Dreamcast controllers aren't here yet! I'm just curious because I've always wondered how it works.. plus I want to run Power Stone 2 at events sometimes and it would be cool to have all items unlocked. I doubt many people would actually care if I had the Dreamcast controller ports accessible or not?

Ideal for sure will be an unlocked netboot image

For us owning the cart, unearthing the cheats or solving VMU mystery is the way to go.

I found an option on jp ver to create the link file. It's a 2nd file on the vmu separate from the main save. I think that's what we have all been missing. I'll post pics in a few.

the plaintext is your entrypoint for a hack,
you use idapro/mame etc to search the code for any references to the memory location of the text - then dissassemble it to see how it decides to display it or not.
same way i hack license crap out of software.

the hard part is knowing how to recalculate the checksum, and where you store it!!!

I'm familiar with it... I looked for references to the addresses of those messages and didn't find any. However my skills are only fundamental in that aspect so I believe our hope is with another to finish that mission.

I hex edit hacked my first shareware game when I was like 8 lol. Some skills never die.

Those messages are indeed used for things - I added the passwords for this to Gamefaqs years ago. Can't remember where I found them originally, but the two I know are:

Y22I - Unlock level 7(?) items
914C - Unlock Pride

Obviously from that string list there's a code for Mel (the shopkeeper from the DC version) as well, but I don't know it. I wonder if there's also any way to play the extra stages from that version... It'd be nice to get a version of the ROM with everything unlocked from the start too like MvC2 and Project Justice!

For docs sake here's how I managed to make the save file. Before I made this, I had a full unlocked JP save on there. It didn't really help with unlocking items on NAOMI though :/ Perhaps someone knows japanese and can fix or ruin our expectations of this avenue? I did see the game at least read the VMU a few times during the game now, but attract mode and test mode show nothing extra unlocked even after a 1cc or two.

To make the save file, From boot on the dreamcast JP disc, go UP one item from the default option and press A. you're greeted with:

20180120_185820_HDR.jpg

I believe I picked the right hand option there ^ Then:

20180120_185841_HDR.jpg

I believe the bottom option is the only one we care about.

Confirm here:

20180120_200035.jpg

After that it's just like normal save game; pick VMU and save the file. Then check your DC file browser and you should have a link file next to your main save data:

20180120_184606.jpg

Last edited:
Those messages are indeed used for things - I added the passwords for this to Gamefaqs years ago. Can't remember where I found them originally, but the two I know are:

914C - Unlock Pride

Obviously from that string list there's a code for Mel (the shopkeeper from the DC version) as well, but I don't know it. I wonder if there's also any way to play the extra stages from that version... It'd be nice to get a version of the ROM with everything unlocked from the start too like MvC2 and Project Justice!
Thank you!

Those messages are indeed used for things - I added the passwords for this to Gamefaqs years ago. Can't remember where I found them originally
probably these codes was shared by Capcom themselves at some point. and it looks like there was no other person interested in looking into this game code.
anyway, here is full list of codes:
11H0 - Lvl 3 items unlock
9K0K - Lvl 4 items unlock
311P - Lvl 5 items unlock
6M10 - Lvl 6 items unlock
Y22I - Lvl 7 items unlock
914C - PRIDE character unlock (13 chars in total)

first 4 codes not really needed , its enough to enter last 2 to get everything unlocked.

Obviously from that string list there's a code for Mel (the shopkeeper from the DC version) as well, but I don't know it.
there isn't. probably MEL character was planned at some point but was not implemented.
even if I using debuger change unlock value in game, and test mode says there is 14 characters - in game I still see only 13 chars available.

Thanks for all that! What's the "easiest" way to look in the code if you don't mind me asking? For example Naomi bios or IC22. I feel like I'm missing a simple or critical skill.

Is it really as easy as using debugger in MAME?

there isn't. probably MEL character was planned at some point but was not implemented.even if I using debuger change unlock value in game, and test mode says there is 14 characters - in game I still see only 13 chars available.
Aw, that's a shame. She was definitely playable in the home version, although I'm not sure if she was just an alt for another character. I suppose the arcade version came out first and they had more time to finish the extra stuff in that.

914C - Unlock Pride
Just tried these two. Awesome, everything unlocked!

Many thanks!
Thought I would update this, the cheats don't 'stick'. So after power off you're left with your original Level items that you started with and no hidden character.

Where did you folks leave off with this? Is there a netboot image now that is fully unlocked?

Back