What's new
Awesome stuff, PM sent. Board is all set up so should have the results fairly quickly ;)

100% PERFECT - Holy crap!
Even the title screen and stage 3 works 100%, can't fault it in any way...

Speechless how that was possible in such a fast time!
Bit late for a cab test, will give it a start to finish test in the morning.

Amazing stuff !!

Wow hat off for you guys, awesome work :)

btw, do you remember that system11 found an Air Duel pcb on M82 hardware?
It seems to use the Major Title PAL chips.

His blog post about it:
"Air Duel – nobody saw this coming.. Air Duel is a pretty decent shooter by Irem which is the first identifiable game to have been made by the Nazca team who went on to create other games for Irem and later the Metal Slug series for SNK. What’s unusual here is that Air Duel is M72 hardware, and this is the more compact M82 set. Other M72 games have been found on newer hardware before (Dragon Breed, X-Multiply, Hammerin Harry, Cosmic Cop) but Air Duel was considered M72 only until now. Also interestingly the board is definitely a converted Major Title – there are still Major Title ROMs left in spots on the video board which aren’t used by Air Duel. However all the newly socketed chips are definitely legitimate Irem ROMs with correct labels (pretty bad shape but you can read them still), and Chris Hardy has taken a look at the code and we’re pretty happy it was assembled from original source. Current assumption is that this is a World rev prototype which never saw full production. It turned up in Korea, and the seller suggested the extra silver labels with numbers on them would have been for cloning the set and producing more of them. It’ll be in MAME shortly, but can’t find any differences other than the boot sequence and a lack of Japan only disclaimer."

Link to the blog post: http://blog.system11.org/?p=1657
He also dumped the rom set and has been in mame since .167 as airduel.zip

btw, do you remember that system11 found an Air Duel pcb on M82 hardware?

It seems to use the Major Title PAL chips.
Yes, This works perfect with no hacks (just jumpers)

This version helped along the way with understanding the some of code changes required.

Now dragon breed is finished i am planning to check out cosmic cop / gallop next, more of the same but will require understanding the sound section.

good job!

r-type without all the wiring next? :)
Your the second person to mention that to me! Possible but I think the sound hardware is hooked up differently so may not be quite so straight forward for me to do.
I should really be checking all the patch info's for mistakes so I can finally release my rom patcher. Just a pain to go through all the boards again checking chips & locations.

Your the second person to mention that to me! Possible but I think the sound hardware is hooked up differently so may not be quite so straight forward for me to do.I should really be checking all the patch info's for mistakes so I can finally release my rom patcher. Just a pain to go through all the boards again checking chips & locations.
On M72 hardware main CPU ROMs also contain sound code (64kB) which is copied in RAM during the boot up sequence (no sound ROM on M72 hardware).
Then there's a port to send commands to the sound CPU (e.g. reset).
On later hardware (M81/M82/M84) sound code in stored in ROM but it's totally possible to extract it from M72 ROMs and burn it into a separate ROM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well seems I may have done RType with no board mods! The sound cpu NMI was the only thing that caught me out. Only other thing is flipped screen is wrong, not sure why as didn't mod anything that would have directly affected this, will take a closer look if I get a chance.
Just need to burn a rom set and see!

So would all of these conversions for M81/M82 potentially work on an M84 board?
The memory would have to be remapped again depending on which game was on the board or a new PAL would have to be created to match the M82 Major Title. But at least all the tile flipping / priority flags are the same I think so much less work. I don't have an M84 board though.....

Had some weird stuff again with RType due to the $8C/$8E ports, I had copied what the previous M82 hack of RType did with these ports but I then lost the foreground tile layer which was replaced with odd random tiles and the scrolling was glitching. I wonder if these ports can do some kind of remapping.

Anyway I went back to my trusty $03 to $8C and all is good. Just need to tidy up the test bit, add my high score saving bits and correct the rom checksums.

Awesome release!
Loads of good stuff in there such as the 3 wonders color fix, cosmic cop conversion and loads more :)

Here is the dragon breed final testing video:

So I finally took the time to re-convert my R-type 2 conversion (paul swan style) to R-type using gadget freaks awesome patcher :)
the game boots well but i don't have any sounds at all. Have tried both roms according to info

Sound roms: IC12 = Leave empty & IC15 = Either "rt_r-h1-b.1c" or "rt_r-l1-b.3c"

Background and character graphics are ok but there seems to be something with the sprites. Most of them are ok, but the jet sprite at the rear of the R-9 is scrambled and the Force (see video below)

The sprite roms have been concatenated according to info using 27c010's:
The Sprite roms need to be 1Mb, program lower & upper halfs with the following files:
N0 = "rt_r-00.1h" + "rt_r-01.1j", N1 = "rt_r-10.1k" + "rt_r-11.1l"
N2 = "rt_r-20.3h" + "rt_r-21.3j", N3 = "rt_r-30.3k" + "rt_r-31.3l"

Video here

Jumpers have been reset to original Major Title configuration and the RAM that has its pin 1 shorted to ground has been redone as the original.

For the sound rom I also had some issues. Can't remember exactly what it was.
The instructions in the patcher are correct, but it's easy to make a mistake.

Attached is what got mine working.

For the graphics glitch, not seen that before. could be a board issue, rom issue (speed, wrong data, sockets can also be shit on irem as you know)
And for Gadget's conversions remove the wire hack from the video ram and restore the original trace.

Last edited:
I had very similar font, ship and enemy garbage on my major title -> R-Type II.
It turned out to be a dry solder joint on the sockets on the 2 eproms on the edge of the board..ics labelled C0 & C2.
When you see your game over / ready message, try giving the board a slight bit of flex on that edge - see if the issue is intermittent or not.
If it is, great.. connection issue. If not, bugger.. probably something deeper to do with the conversion?

Back