What's new

doozer

Unobtanium
Professional
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have a Chihiro Type 3 setup running Outrun 2 SP.

I am toying with the idea of replacing the 29" CRT with a modern LCD. After doing some research I came across some information suggesting that the best solution is to first upgrade to the Lindbergh system for use with an LCD.

So my question is, if I were to purchase a Lindbergh Yellow system and the Outrun disc/chip, is it a drop in replacement for the Chihiro?
ie. Will the driver board (steering wheel input and feedback) be detected and work, or do you have to bin everything and replace all the boards?

EDIT: I have a single cabinet that looks identical to the attached photo (note, the photo shows a twin cabinet).

Thanks,
Matt.

Attachments

• OutRun2SP_Chihiro_Cabinet_Twin.jpg
    OutRun2SP_Chihiro_Cabinet_Twin.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
The Chihiro outputs hi-res. Not sure why you'd ever need to move to a Lindbergh to use an LCD.

But it should be more or less compatible. Both systems are JVS after all. Video/audio/controls should work just fine.

FFB may be the one thing you'd have to worry about. I'm sure someone more driving-game knowledgeable will chime in.

The Chihiro outputs hi-res. Not sure why you'd ever need to move to a Lindbergh to use an LCD.

But it should be more or less compatible. Both systems are JVS after all. Video/audio/controls should work just fine.

FFB may be the one thing you'd have to worry about. I'm sure someone more driving-game knowledgeable will chime in.
Good to know, thanks.

Followup question: is anyone on this forum selling the custom surround to mount a flat panel LCD into the Outrun cabinet (the CRT is convex)?

Followup question: is anyone on this forum selling the custom surround to mount a flat panel LCD into the Outrun cabinet (the CRT is convex)?
I don't have one, but someone else may. You should probably clarify which OR2 cabinet you have though, they came in quite a few styles.

I don't have one, but someone else may. You should probably clarify which OR2 cabinet you have though, they came in quite a few styles.
Updated the first post to show the cabinet I have.

You should be fine except you will need to have a Lindy power supply or ATX to run the Lindbergh as well as a little wiring for the JVS power. Depending on some games the Lindbergh requires a different JVS board. You can get away with using the JVS for the Naomi and Chihiro for most games (including the lindbergh) but there are a few that require a Lindbergh specific one to work right (Mostly for Shooters Ive found)

As for the monitor, you can use a regular flat screen LCD/LED monitor standard for Chihiro, Lindbergh, Triforce, and Naomi (in 31k mode).
no problem there, I use one for my driving games and it works great.

You should be fine except you will need to have a Lindy power supply or ATX to run the Lindbergh as well as a little wiring for the JVS power. Depending on some games the Lindbergh requires a different JVS board. You can get away with using the JVS for the Naomi and Chihiro for most games (including the lindbergh) but there are a few that require a Lindbergh specific one to work right (Mostly for Shooters Ive found)

As for the monitor, you can use a regular flat screen LCD/LED monitor standard for Chihiro, Lindbergh, Triforce, and Naomi (in 31k mode).
no problem there, I use one for my driving games and it works great.
Thanks. Do you know anyone that sells the custom surround to cover up the edge of the LCD/LED monitor?

The Drive board aka FFB will not work. You need a different one. JVS should be OK IIRC.

not here. A simple Google search should return the model.number.

You can find original Sega FFB boards or replacement.
You have just this card and the wire (with cheap RS converter) to swap, and the cab will work.

Chihiro outputs a 640 x 480 Video signal and expects a 4:3 screen ratio.

Outrun for LindBergh used TFT screens and Probably expect a 9:6 screen ratio.

Just to answer why you might upgrade if you switch the screen from CRT to TFT.

The chihiro steering force feedback board used midi as interface.
The Lindbergh one uses RS485. (Some might accept RS232 as well)

Wintermute examined the protocol of the 2.
He had the impression both used the same communication protocol (just a different interface)
Not sure if he was able to prove that statement.

A 32 inch tft should fit into most cabinets if the display isn't having any large borders left and right. You could probably use such a screen with a chihiro if you leave it in 4:3 ratio. It will be partially unused on the left and right side but the picture should be nearly the same size as an original CRT. You will need to relocate the speakers.

Avoid Happy Manor / Excellentcom. I had troubles with them, received wrong cards (ordered 2 of this). They denied making an error. I had back a part of my money thanks Paypal. But they lied a lot of times to me and Paypal, tried to win time to avoid refund exiting Paypal case... And it's just partial, I have much to tell about this.

I finally bought here : http://videotronicsuk.com/lindbergh-force-feedback-driver-pcb-working.html , a better shop.

Avoid Happy Manor / Excellentcom. I had troubles with them, received wrong cards (ordered 2 of this). They denied making an error. I had back a part of my money thanks Paypal. But they lied a lot of times to me and Paypal, tried to win time to avoid refund exiting Paypal case... And it's just partial, I have much to tell about this.
I finally bought here : http://videotronicsuk.com/lindbergh-force-feedback-driver-pcb-working.html , a better shop.
The more options, the better. I know Videotronics UK delivers well.

Back