What's new

Friend

Beginner
Reaction score
I was wondering if with a netboot setup would it be possible to load dreamcast games on a naomi netdimm setup? I was wondering because of the similar hardware would be it be possible to run straight up dreamcast games on it using a zero chip.

Sadly, no. Even though the hardware is similar, the way of loading a game is not. For Naomi, the GD-ROM is loaded entirely into the net dimm (256MB or 512MB) and the games play from there. The GD-ROM drive is sitting there idle afterwards. The DC does not have this size of "buffer" so it needs to load little chunks of the game into it's vastly inferior amount of RAM (16MB). Therefore it does not work right of the bat, but you're looking at a conversion job, possibly even downscaling some textures to be able to fit into the RAM.

Thank you for the reply, would you happen to know any guides or tutorials to at least get me started on trying to work on them?

It is possible to "splice" a Dreamcast into a Naomi system. These guys did so:

I was going to do this about 2 years ago as I got the Dreamcast and Mad Catz 6-button controller but have never gotten around to it yet. I wonder if there's a thread on this site for this type of conversion. I can solder somewhat but it would be cool if someone made and sold the controller wire harnesses.

Since DC has VGA output, t's very easy to build it into a NUC, just a hackpad to make or buy.
Or you can buy a MGCD. You can play DreamCast games, with time or even credit (for some), and in 15Khz for old cabinets, directly to JAMMA.

Last edited:
Since DC has VGA output, t's very easy to build it into a NUC, just a hackpad to make or buy.
Or you can buy a MGCD. You can play DreamCast games, with time or even credit (for some), and in 15Khz for old cabinets, directly to JAMMA.
Thanks, Gakman. Do you have any suggestions or links to threads that deal with making/buying a hackpad? I am sure I can solder something similar to what 8bitplus did here: http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/dreamcast-to-naomi-cabinet/
I'd like to be able to easily remove the Dreamcast so I don't need to splice the power supply into the cabinet. All I think I may need are the controller PCBs and maybe something that converts VGA to the 15k monitor.

Back