CPS A-Board Differences

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I got a Final Fight that came on a Dash A board. It looks to have been repaired and also the big capacitor next to the Jamma edge was missing. I replaced that. Looks like it may have been repaired, anyone know what's up with that sticker on the custom?

Works great with Final Fight.

Here in Australia for some reason Leisure & Allied sold SF2:CE and SF2:HF on long A boards. If you shop around there are heaps of these in the wild with matching date stickers on them. I have one of these boards that I converted to Daimakiamura Resale.

I swapped the A boards over because I figured I would like my Final Fight to be on a long A board and Daimakaimura could be on this short board but in this configuration, Daimakiamura has weird missing sprite problems. Put it back on the Long A board and it works perfectly.

Is it possible for these short boards to have issues that only manifest with certain games?
    • Nimmers wrote:

I got a Final Fight that came on a Dash A board. It looks to have been repaired and also the big capacitor next to the Jamma edge was missing. I replaced that. Looks like it may have been repaired, anyone know what's up with that sticker on the custom?

Works great with Final Fight.

Here in Australia for some reason Leisure & Allied sold SF2:CE and SF2:HF on long A boards. If you shop around there are heaps of these in the wild with matching date stickers on them. I have one of these boards that I converted to Daimakiamura Resale.

I swapped the A boards over because I figured I would like my Final Fight to be on a long A board and Daimakaimura could be on this short board but in this configuration, Daimakiamura has weird missing sprite problems. Put it back on the Long A board and it works perfectly.

Is it possible for these short boards to have issues that only manifest with certain games?
      Looks like a date sticker in Chinese - Year/Month/Day. I assume that's when they did that repair? I also say Chinese since it mentions "Hua" at the beginning, so probably not Japanese, even though they would also use the same characters for dates. (I'm no expert though, so who knows)
    • Got out the magnifying glass thinking maybe a trace to one of the mask ROMs might be damaged and found this:

When I got the board CC22 was missing but I never noticed CC20 was also missing.

Did a google and found this guys thread: forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=409155

Seems that component can explode. Would explain the repair job on the component I have an arrow pointing to. I guess I'll replace that and see if it fixes my problem.

Anyone seen this before?
    • Haven't seen that or a missing giant capacitor, but at least you can replace them easily enough

As for the SF2/LAI thing, my guess would be with the popularity of SF2 they had A board failures and swapped out with what they had to get operators going again.

Either that or they somehow got Capcom to supply B/C boards only and used the A boards they already had from WW

I had the missing sprites problem on GnG, but it was on a faulty A board (confirmed with Final Fight and SF2)

I've put my GnG conversion on both my long FF A board and short SF2WW board without any problems, so not sure what's going on there, maybe a ROM speed issue? (EPROMs too slow?)
      Namco Cyber Lead and Sega Astro City owner
      My VAPS Profile
    • xodaraP wrote:

Haven't seen that or a missing giant capacitor, but at least you can replace them easily enough

As for the SF2/LAI thing, my guess would be with the popularity of SF2 they had A board failures and swapped out with what they had to get operators going again.

Either that or they somehow got Capcom to supply B/C boards only and used the A boards they already had from WW

I had the missing sprites problem on GnG, but it was on a faulty A board (confirmed with Final Fight and SF2)

I've put my GnG conversion on both my long FF A board and short SF2WW board without any problems, so not sure what's going on there, maybe a ROM speed issue? (EPROMs too slow?)

I got the missing CC20 today so I'll install tonight and see if that makes a difference. I can't imagine that would cause sprite issues though.

ROM speed issue seems like a possibility, was thinking maybe because Final Fight only has 4 mask ROMs and Ghouls n Ghosts uses 8 there could be a broken trace that Final Fight doesn't need? Maybe I need to try a different game on the A board and see if that gives any clues.
    • Nimmers wrote:

Got out the magnifying glass thinking maybe a trace to one of the mask ROMs might be damaged and found this:

When I got the board CC22 was missing but I never noticed CC20 was also missing.

Did a google and found this guys thread: forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=409155

Seems that component can explode. Would explain the repair job on the component I have an arrow pointing to. I guess I'll replace that and see if it fixes my problem.

Anyone seen this before?
      Yep, I've had the same one explode. Tantalum caps, man.

I would expect the legs and part of the cap to remain. Pretty weird to remove the debris and not replace the component.

Also, pretty sure it's only part of the sound circuit, so I doubt it would have any effect on sprites.
      There is no knowledge that is not power

Wanted: Mortal Kombat 2, NBA Jam TE
    • fluxcore wrote:

I would expect the legs and part of the cap to remain. Pretty weird to remove the debris and not replace the component.

Also, pretty sure it's only part of the sound circuit, so I doubt it would have any effect on sprites.
      They must explode with a decent amount of force to blow the leg off that amp?
    • Nimmers wrote:

fluxcore wrote:

They must explode with a decent amount of force to blow the leg off that amp?
      My suspicion would be that someone cut the leg by accident when trying to deal with the cap? Tantalums can supposedly catch fire, but the area around there looks pretty clean so I doubt that happened. In my case, the shell of the cap broke and half of it fired off in a pretty scarily high-speed fashion, but I very much doubt it would have actually damaged anything it hit... other than my eye. As I say, I would have expected SOMETHING to be left of the cap on the board, so I think it has been removed at some point.

I didn't actually notice the arrow or the amp leg damage before my other post :p
      There is no knowledge that is not power

Wanted: Mortal Kombat 2, NBA Jam TE
    • I got a SF2' CE from ebay, but it looks strange to me.
      The A-Board looks like a long board (10MHz) but not a dashboard.
      Can you guys try to figure out what I've bought ?

Fortunately, the game is working and the price (for an ebay price) was not that high.
      Unfortunately, it's not gonna be useful for an hypothetical CPS1 multi ;)

• tom5151 wrote:

PascalP wrote:

Yup, definitely a long board 10mhz and it looks like a bootleg B board.
      Not just the roms, but also the pcb itself is far from original...
      Thanks, that's what I was thinking.You're right, the B board is of poor quality.
      Sheet, I still have to chase for a dash board !
      B-board is a well known bootleg sometimes silkscreened "T104".
      Just replace the 10MHz crystal (and the 68000 CPU if you're afraid of overheating) and you have a dash board.
      Selling files for conversions/desuicide on Sega System C2/Sega System 24/Sega System 32, Capcom CPS1, Irem M92/M107 and more (just ask)
      Money is reinvested in boards, parts and tools in order to release more stuff.
      Contact me through my blog: arcadefixer.blogspot.co.nz/
    • tom5151 wrote:

I got a SF2' CE from ebay, but it looks strange to me.
      The A-Board looks like a long board (10MHz) but not a dashboard.
      Can you guys try to figure out what I've bought ?

Fortunately, the game is working and the price (for an ebay price) was not that high.
      Unfortunately, it's not gonna be useful for an hypothetical CPS1 multi
      it looks like someone took a SF2 World Warrior and converted it to CE. that "B-12" C-board was used on World Warrior and Mercs.

you could potentially upgrade the crystal on your A-Board to make it 12MHz.
      "Information wants to be free"
      VOOT | RFM | Kraylix V3 | FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| TOTD | DDR
      Follow my projects on Instagram: instagram.com/twistedchu

Buy my 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
    • xodaraP wrote:

Did yours look like this:

It's a bit weird, Final Fight and SF2 WW don't seem to have any problems. The GnG works fine on other A boards.