What's new

stj

Grand Master
Reaction score
does anybody know if there are multiple rom boards, or just 1 for each system??

i'm considering working out what all the jumpers do, but not if there are shitloads of different pcb;s!!

They just specify EEPROM size. AFAIK all boards are the same (in that 2c Rom is all the same for 2C boards etc.), but there's 4 rom board styles for each respective version of model 2. I know this because 2B and 2C rom boards look very similar but dont fit and even if they did, they short the 5V rail out.

does anybody know if there are multiple rom boards, or just 1 for each system??
depends on what you mean by "each system"
Model 3 Step 1 ROM boards are different than model 3 step 2 ROM boards, but all model 3 step 2 ROM boards are the same.

Same goes for Model 2: Model 2A ROM boards wont work on a model 2B but all model 2B ROM boards are the same.

If you're thinking about conversions keep in mind that getting the correct ROM board is only part of it, you also need to set the jumpers correctly and some games have protection PCBs. I believe Andy Geezer can reprogram Model 3 protection PCBs for whatever game you need, but Model 2 is another story.

that pretty much answers it.
what changes on M3 between 1,2 and 3?
i thought it was just the cpu clockspeed and GPU revisions.

what changes on M3 between 1,2 and 3?
there is no step "3" in Model 3:
Step 1.0 (66Mhz)
Step 1.5 (100Mhz)
Step 2.0 (166Mhz)
Step 2.1 (166Mhz)

AFAIK step 2.0 and step 2.1 are functionally equivalent but the step 1.0, 1.5 and 2.x all have unique video and CPU boards that cannot be interchanged.

games are also not compatible across the different steps... so you can't run a Step 1.5 game on a step 2.x PCB stack.

i know all that, i'm still looking for the answer to if they all use the same rom boards though.

i know all that, i'm still looking for the answer to if they all use the same rom boards though.
Model 3 Step 1 ROM boards are different than model 3 step 2 ROM boards
as I said earlier, they use different ROM boards.

I believe the Step 1.0 and 1.5 ROM boards are the same (you might wan to double check that) but the step 2.x ROM boards are different.

Last edited:
Reactions: stj
Back