What's new

Hatsune Mike

Champion
Reaction score
Source on Github: https://github.com/Mikejmoffitt/hyper-fighting-cps2

Credit to trap15 for EEPROM sample code and some work with the CPS1->CPS2 priority encoding.

If you want to donate (absolutely not required) you may use PayPal here.

Current progress:

Features / Completed Tasks:
* Player 1 & 2 joystick and button reading
* Kick harness reading and format conversion
* System switches conversion (coins, starts, test switch, service)
* CPS2 QSound ID translation
* Hyper SF2 sound driver (maintain original CPS1 sound effects where possible)
* CPS2 sprite hardware utilization
* Sprite table update with correct drawing order and termination (no need to clear the table every frame)
* Multiple levels of speed adjustment (like console ports!) with the default being more or less the original speed
* Configuration for soft-DIP settings stored in EEPROM like a normal CPS2 game

Feature adds I'd like:
* Allow winning player to change characters in versus matches
* Allow stage selection / rotation of stage choice so you aren't stuck listening to the elephants on Dhalsim's stage forever* I would like to replace the instrument samples to better resemble their CPS1 counterparts

Remaining bugs:
* "Burning oil drums" bonus missing the top drum unless screen scrolls up (likely a sign extension issue for Y position)
* Screwy "A New Challenger" text when the second player joins

Likely not going to be fixed:
* Endings have some flicker; some endings (Ken's ending) use per-color sprite priority encoding which is a hassle to fix
* On the fastest turbo speed setting, sometimes HUD sprites flicker for a frame on occasion
* Between screen fades for a frame or two sprites are visible on-screen when it should be a black screen

Closed Issues:
* I must finish the DIP configuration screen
* Game runs very slightly too fast compared to original SF2HF board
* High score table and end-of-match text does not show up (need to trigger a sprite update; normal function isn't used here)
* A few sound effects are mapped wrong (Dhalsim's flame hit sound, Dictator's psycho crusher attack sound)
* Strange palette issues on hardware ( seems like an offset in the palette source address? See how I picked green guile but got blue guile in-game? ) Took sprite list update routine out of vblank, no longer ruins palette transfer timing
* Minor sprite/background layering issues (life bars on Ryu stage, Title "turbo" text Fixed
* Minor sprite flicker for some text in-game, and in the punching intro Resolved alongside palette issues
* Background updates must be synchronized properly with sprite updates (off by one frame right now) Fixed alongside palette issues

Last edited:
Does that mean all CPS1 games can be converted, even with sound?

Does ' Hyper SF2 sound driver ' mean you utilized the code from the anniversary edition or that you wrote your own sound driver?

I've seen these projects dotted around these forums and I've fascinated by them.

I already have a Hyper Fighting PCB, but man it would be convenient to be able to run it from my CPS2 multi instead of swapping boards. Look how lazy we're getting! :D

Does that mean all CPS1 games can be converted, even with sound?

Does ' Hyper SF2 sound driver ' mean you utilized the code from the anniversary edition or that you wrote your own sound driver?

I've seen these projects dotted around these forums and I've fascinated by them.
The driver from Hyper SF2 Anniversary Edition was used for this one, since it has most of the CPS1 sound effects ready to go. For other CPS1 games, some custom driver work will be necessary. I'd like to do it, but it won't be such a quick conversion as this game.

Only a little more work is needed before SF2T is finished for CPS2. I have just been busier last weekend and this week so it'll be a bit longer

Looks amazing. Never thought I'd see a cps1 game running on cps2 hardware.

Back