What's new
It should be FAIL-safe, but that could have made it go wrong. To be sure that nothing went wrong, please go back to previous firmware.

PLMK.

that "faul" save gave up your location ;) but please update for the rest of users.

It's no secret that I'm located in Cologne, Germany ;)

Ahhh, typing with a computer here is much more faul safe :D
Sooo, please send me the older fw again so I can try.

Thanks

There you go. See attached.

Attachments

• Firmware_23-02-2018.7z
    32.2 KB · Views: 207
Copied the flash.img to the folder update on my sd card.
Switched on, got a white screen... nothing happens... after 30 seconds,
the whole screen is fiulled up with coloured blocks, signs and letters. pixel garbage.

I then put the two files of the current fw
I to the Update folder, it started, I flashed 3 games, seems to work but still I'm worried.
Still some White gfx trash while flashing etc..

Last edited:
Try it extensively and let's see what happens. Looks like residual of the previous update.

P.S. Update your location please.

Anyone else having an issue with Metal Slug 1 attract mode not showing hi scores properly? It shows "1st" on all 10 entries with a score of 0 and some garbled graphics for the names. I'm using the newest firmware from a couple of days ago and the latest menu from april. I also tried deleting the BUFF file and resetting the neo-geo ram backup. I tried putting it in slot 1 and 3 on the multi but same issue either way. My Neo-geo is an Omega CMVS (mv-1c). Unibios 3.2 if it matters.

nothing was changed that could affect that. Try rolling back the firmware to previous version posted a couple of posts back and see if that fixes it.

Is that the only game giving you trouble?

I had the same issue in the previous firmware as well. I haven't tried a ton of games but other games seem fine.

Then it's something related to your setup. Did you check the battery? Do you have another mobo to try with? PLMK.

I don't have another Neo Geo to test with unfortunately. It's an Omega CMVS so I haven't opened it up before. Anything else to check or is the battery the only thing you can think of?

Do you have the Omega with internal memory card?

If so you'll need to clear both your internal NVRAM and the "memory card" as well.

Did you check the battery?
With the release of the new firmware, and the upcoming new menu, will the cart still relay on having a good battery on the board to work properly? or will this limitation be removed?

Thanks!

Do you have the Omega with internal memory card?

If so you'll need to clear both your internal NVRAM and the "memory card" as well.
Yes, I have one with the internal memory card. I tried clearing that as well but no luck - issue remains. Anything else to check or should I open it up and try replacing the battery?

Edit: Can anyone confirm if Metal Slug 1's high scores are working fine for them?
Edit2: I did a little test: I took out the multi and put in an original game, changed the soft DIP settings and turned the system off. I checked half an hour later and the soft DIP settings are still in effect so I'm starting to doubt the issue is related to the battery.

Last edited:
For anyone who cares the minor glitches I see on my MV-1A weren't fixed with the latest firmware and the trace cut. Pinning all my hopes on the next firmware revision now.
Have you had anyone else look at your cart yet? A few carts had a soldering defect that could cause gfx or sound issues.
I have not.
I have done all the menu and firmware updates and I cut the required trace.

Here are some videos of what the MV1A does taken on an iPhone: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL-PVXNx0nrXRvN_9pWrSa7b_QsqHyRE6

Interestingly now you mention sound, blues journey seems to pop and crackle a bit on the attract screen music. This particular MV-1A works perfectly fine as far as I know, I have used it to play Samurai Shodown 2 a lot on a real cart.
I think I am getting somewhere with this. I bought an original Fatal Fury cart on Ebay for $45aus to compare. Tested it in my MV-1A and its perfect.

With an original cart in the 5v line at the jamma edge reads 4.9V
With the Darksoft cart the 5V line reads 4.78V

I turned the voltage up in tiny increments and the Darksoft cart mostly behaves itself at 4.9V. If I turn it up to like 5.04 or so the problems seems to come back. The best way to describe the very occasional issue I see is as if a single scanline flickers.

This happens for me on two different Darksoft carts. Mine is the newest firmware and has the trace cut done. My friends is on the previous firmware and has not had the trace cut done.

I didn't reflow anything as yet as I'm a bit scared to mess with it when I know its happening on two different carts. I did visually inspect it and it looks ok to me.

Any advice? Starting to think I'd be better off just getting an MV-1FZ and stop wasting my time on it :(

@Nimmers so.if I understood correctly, the cart works well if you tweak the power to make sure.you get 4.9-5V ?

@Nimmers so.if I understood correctly, the cart works well if you tweak the power to make sure.you get 4.9-5V ?
With very occasional flickers it seems a lot better now. At 5V the problems seem to come back. 4.9V at the MVS jamma edge seems to be the sweet spot.

My legit cart on the MV-1A doesn't have any problems anywhere from like 4.8V to 5.05V

This is only on the MV-1A, my MV-1FS is fine too no matter what I do.

Another thing I noticed tonight too I have never noticed before is that my video capture card doesn't like MV-1A but is fine with the MV-1FS. This might be unrelated but odd.

Try it extensively and let's see what happens. Looks like residual of the previous update.

P.S. Update your location please.
So, my last tests on the MV-1C were OK, all in all, as far as game functionality is concerned.
Flashing the games seems OK, no white graphical garbage at least. I now flashed the games Blazing Star, Magical Drop II
and Metal Slug 3.

- Blazing Star (slot 1) has some graphical glitches in the intro. There seem to be one line of pixel jam at the top area of the screen...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YKRrvMFh9WNdIUz7Kgh-zfzC2a4InlnS

- the other two games seem to work flawlessly

Don't know if this is normal!?: I am able to reset the menu ONCE with the select button...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11WmK1AOIvEqO-keECWizYIL_Bb5vf04e

UPDATE: I emptied all slots and changed my game setup to: (1) Blazing Star, (2) Metal Slug 3, (3) KOF 2003
it ended up with this freeze screen :(
IMG_20180729_173944.jpg

After switching off and on again, the menu showed all the 3 games in its slots.
I didn'T start any of those, emptied the slots an flashed again in a different order.
It worked, the procedure looked like this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W8zcqLR_NOsXDqNfvNZGIz9fogBU0mHD

EDIT 2018-08-03:
Here is another video
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dlYZE5Wam-yR7ymiplhk4hhj6CI5KGdp

In the first two parts you can see the white pixels while flashing. There's few of them but I had loads last time, when the Multi was running for some time.
The third part is showing that the buttons in AES mode won't work with Metal Slug 3 - when I set it to arcade mode, it works...

Last edited:
Back