What's new
I have a quick question - have read a bunch of the threads on here but can’t seem to spot the answer so apologies if I’ve missed it -

When the high score boards are messed up (for example on metal slug I get a scoreboard full of ‘1’s (instead of score 1, 2, 3 etc) and gibberish were the names should be. On last resort I have an empty scoreboard - so the default scores are missing. Is this something that’s still to be fixed? I have done the nvram reset and delete buff a bunch of times but never any different. Are there particular MVS boards that still have issues? Mine is an MV-1F I think...

The high score problem is related to the menu and is currently being fixed. I believe that all PCBs models have been tested and with the exception of a 4-Slot model, the rest work without any issues.

I might have missed it in a post, but Metal Slug 5 is on the non-working list? I just tried to load it, and it crashed on the "this rom has be to be played on original hardware" screen, and then corrupted the menu - had to do a full reprogram of it.

Matt

Metal slug 5 works without issues and I've never seen the menu gone corrupted because of loading a game. The problem lies somewhere else. Are you using the same motherboard with that eprom patch?

Ok - I have it apart right now - adding in a cr2032 battery holder and pulling out the charging circuit... once it's back together I will do some more testing.

not using the bad MV-1A, I have a MV-1B that I got that has been working very well.

Thanks,

Matt

After the battery was in there, metal slug 5 loaded fine - so as you said, without a battery things are just "weird".

I do seem to having problems with my samsung evo SD card though - it works fine, and then I go to load a new game into one of the slots and it just freezes (or never finishes) - then when I try to reboot the NeoGeo it goes to a purple/pink blotchy screen, but never to a green, and then to menu - and pressing test doesn't take me to hardware bios screen.

if I pull the SD card out, it boots fine to BIOS.

I have some more samsung evo cards coming tomorrow - I will try with them.

Matt

Hi Guys, just got my cart today. I loaded the SD card with the latest smokemonster pack and put the new menu files as instructed. I did a NVRAM clear then power down and install the cart.

I have an issue where my machine will now always boot to crosshatch screen and i need to press B for soft reset before the multi cart comes up. I have a MV-2FS board with unibios 4.0.

Also if i set the multicart menu settings to boot to games i get a unibios crash screen, if i soft reboot on the crash screen then the games work. However, then i can't go back to the multicart menu - it causes a reboot to cross hatch screen, then if i soft reboot it starts to load the menu, finishes reading files, then somes text goes past fast then "please wait.." and crash screen again.

I can get back to the menu if i clear NVRAM again, but then it's back to default menu settings

I also get the unibios crash screen after writing the games to the slots, but again reboots will get into the games so they must of flashed ok.

One last thing i noticed is there is some sound buzz when using the multicart that isn't present on the 161-in-1 but right now i think the other things are more important to try to fixup

Also i do still have the original bios in a matchbox i can try it if you think it might be unibios, i just need to take off the case (MV-2FS boards have a metal case)

Last edited:
Also i do still have the original bios in a matchbox i can try it if you think it might be unibios, i just need to take off the case (MV-2FS boards have a metal case)
I don't think that UNIBIOS is an issue anymore, although the Green screen with warning will not appear anymore. Try changing the BIOS for an OG one and let us know if it helps.

Also if i set the multicart menu settings to boot to games i get a unibios crash screen, if i soft reboot on the crash screen then the games work. However, then i can't go back to the multicart menu -
As explained in the instructions, if you set it to boot to games, it won't enter the menu. You need to keep 1P pressed all the time after reseting the Neogeo so that you will go into the menu again.

I don't think that UNIBIOS is an issue anymore, although the Green screen with warning will not appear anymore. Try changing the BIOS for an OG one and let us know if it helps.

Also if i set the multicart menu settings to boot to games i get a unibios crash screen, if i soft reboot on the crash screen then the games work. However, then i can't go back to the multicart menu -
As explained in the instructions, if you set it to boot to games, it won't enter the menu. You need to keep 1P pressed all the time after reseting the Neogeo so that you will go into the menu again.
Thanks I will try the original BIOS

On the boot to games crash, it still picks up start+up combination but then crashes is that expected behavior?

On the boot to games crash, it still picks up start+up combination but then crashes is that expected behavior?
Not with original BIOS. Could be an issue with non original BIOSes, but just press the button to clear the green exception screen and move forward.

I don't get the crash screen without the unibios - i think the neogeo just resets itself instead which results in it working like pressing soft reset on on the uni bios.

One thing still happening though is my system boots into crosshatch screen every time i do a power on and i need to skip the screen, any idea what could be causing that? I don't get the issue with the 161-in-1 cart and I've tried reinserting the cart many times to make sure its not contacts. I haven't tried cleaning the contacts with any solvent or anything, only wiped with tissues.

I do have 2 other neogeo motherboards i'll try over the weekend, i've got a MV-1B and a MV-1FS.

I do have 2 other neogeo motherboards i'll try over the weekend, i've got a MV-1B and a MV-1FS.
Yes please do that. The cross hatch should only appear if you are doing a firmware update. Otherwise it should boot normally.

I tested my other two boards and they boot normally. I noticed the darksoft cart seems a bit thinner on the cartridge connector than on my other carts so it's a looser fit in the MV2-FS, for some reason on the MV-1B and MV1-FS it has a much tighter fit into the slot. It also had some black residue come off when i cleaned the cart contacts with a tissue.

I'm going to try some contact cleaner on the slot to see if it fixes it (i want to use my mv2-fs because i'm using the headphone jack for stereo).

Also v-Liner doesn't seem to want to boot (not that its a game i care about i was just trying random games).

See the weird debugging thing going on in the top right of screen? Is this something I have enabled somehow?

It just kind of cycles Range=1, Range=OK.

range.PNG

See the weird debugging thing going on in the top right of screen? Is this something I have enabled somehow?

It just kind of cycles Range=1, Range=OK.

range.PNG
=O Never seen anything like that. you must have activated a debug or developer mode. Are you using the latest version of the firmware/menu? Happens only in this game?

I'll see if its happening on mine when I get home.

Back