What's new
When you gave me the advise earlier in this thread, it didn't work for me the way you mentioned (kept freezing at boot multiple times in a row), with the dipswitch way it booted straight after.

Might have been a coincidence though.. :)
IF that fixed the problem all the time, then it's very good feedback as I know where to look now.

Tried with an 8GB Samsung SD (from my CPS2 Multi) it still lost games from slots, but found them again once I reinserted the SD card, still have a selection missing from the menu though but games seem to work with less resetting/crashing although I can only change game/access the menu when the Neo tune plays at the beginning. At least I can play stuff now

Er scrap that it crashed again playing Neo Bomberman, once I powered it back on it struggled to find the menu and then lost even more games from the selection

Last edited:
the microSD cant be the source of the problem IMHO. The games are loaded once into RAM/Flash and that's it. Period. No more is read.

Did you try this dip switches thing?
Darksoft Neo Multi Help thread

Lets wait for @PascalP feebdack so we'll know better. Specially if it's a BIOS related problem or menu or ...

IMHO If the problem happens after some time it can be a corruption problem caused by the menu or caused by the procedure of changing slots or a production problem. But seeing that in only happens to 2-3 people it makes me think that it may be something with your setup.

I'll try the dip switch method tomorrow. Sure we will fix this in no time I have every faith!

Do you know if everyone having problems is using the same type of Neo PCB? (MV-1F)

I think @PascalP has MV-1FT
But i think this maybe related to those two games. Is the problem happening if you have loaded in any of the slots shocktroopers or pulstar? Can you delete the file BUFF from the microsd, delete the backup ram from test menu and load neo bomberman, kof98 or any other game and see if the problem persist.

Thanks.

I have a MV-1FT correct, but as my video ram is shot we did most testing on @Sp33dFr34ks MV-1F

1F and 1FT are very similar though, just slightly different component layout

I think @PascalP has MV-1FT
But i think this maybe related to those two games. Is the problem happening if you have loaded in any of the slots shocktroopers or pulstar? Can you delete the file BUFF from the microsd, delete the backup ram from test menu and load neo bomberman, kof98 or any other game and see if the problem persist.

Thanks.
It happened when I just loaded Nam 1975 on 1 slot, so I don't think it is specific to certain games. I have deleted the BUFF file as well as the SLOT 1,2 and 3 files, can get to the menu if I do this, but games are reduced and only a matter of time before it crashes again. Will try the backup method though.
I have a MV-1FT correct, but as my video ram is shot we did most testing on @Sp33dFr34ks MV-1F

1F and 1FT are very similar though, just slightly different component layout
So @Sp33dFr34ks has the same MV-1F as me, and has the same problems then

Last edited:
try the dip switch thing please. It might be something specific to the mv-1F then.

Clearing the backup did make the games appear again, but as soon as I went back into the menu it crashed, kept resetting, and would not load the menu again. A couple of times it said 'no games on memory card' when it did actually load the menu

Board: NEO-MVH SLOT4
SD: Sandisk 16GB
Bios: standard
The multi is in slot 1 on the mobo and the only cart in it.

Ok got my multi this morning, up and running pretty quickly. But I loaded a game in slot 1 (Ghostlop) fired it up, went back to the menu put Twinkle Star Sprites in the multi slot 2 but when I loaded it the system crashed to a black screen, wouldn't go back to the menu.

I restarted the machine and it's now stuck in a reset loop, you can just about see the rectangle on the screen of the multi's loading message before it resets again. I've tried reformatting the Sd card and recreating the image but to no avail.

Any ideas how I can recover this??

I should also add that before it bricked itself I was seeing the flickering pixels issue, only on the left of the screen though - at first on the menu characters and then flickering in the game.

Ok got my multi this morning, up and running pretty quickly. But I loaded a game in slot 1 (Ghostlop) fired it up, went back to the menu put Twinkle Star Sprites in the multi slot 2 but when I loaded it the system crashed to a black screen, wouldn't go back to the menu.

I restarted the machine and it's now stuck in a reset loop, you can just about see the rectangle on the screen of the multi's loading message before it resets again. I've tried reformatting the Sd card and recreating the image but to no avail.

I should also add that before it bricked itself I was seeing the flickering pixels issue, only on the left of the screen though - at first on the menu characters and then flickering in the game.
Have you tried using the menu file in this thread to recover? If so we may need to have DS post the current FW file in that thread too for you to use.

This is the same model 4-slot I did the majority of my testing on and a few of my videos. We'll get you going.

Try putting the original NeoGeo Cart in slot 1 and the multiMVS in slot 2.

For my graphics errors with the multi, I did some testing and put it all in a table.
I performed every test-case on each MV-unit.

What I notice is that the strange pixels are consistent and exactly the same X/Y screen-location on both MV-units, regardless the test situation.
That would rule out the MV-units and suggest something related to the DSMulti (either FW, HW, SDcard or SW on the SDcard)

Here is an overview (pics are clickable to a large version):

MV-1B
MV-2F
Picture
unibiosNoNo
repairsNoNo
environmentKonami WindyMAK Strike + PVM
voltage5.035.04
romsetDarksoftNeoGeoRoll-upBeta1same
menu
gfx issue menu
gfx issue Alpha Mission 2
original Alpha Mission 2 cardflawless, no gfx issueflawless, no gfx issue
boot sequenceThe is some resolution or frequency change happening at the bootup of the card.
I hear the Windy CRT making clicking sounds. Never heard those before.
the same
boot sequence video
the same
SD cards triedTranscend Premium 400x 16GB

Samsung EVO Plus 64GB
Transcent 8GB
the same
SD card formatting triedMac MS-DOS (fat32)
Windows GUIFORMAT.exe
Windows normal FAT32

Also formatted FULL, not quick
the same
Slot 1 / 2n/atried slot 1 and slot 2. Each time single slot usage
MV Test menu - backup memory resetdone, no effect on gfxdone, no effect on gfx
MV contactscleaned with alcoholcleaned with alcohol
Mac .hidden filesremoved with dot_clean cmdremoved with dot_clean cmd

@K405 mentioned elsewhere that the SRAM might be faulty (IC manufacturing time or ESD later on), could the sanding/shell have gained some ESD capacities?

I am ready for other options to try that are within my reach.

Last edited:

Have you tried using the menu file in this thread to recover? If so we may need to have DS post the current FW file in that thread too for you to use.
This is the same model 4-slot I did the majority of my testing on and a few of my videos. We'll get you going.
Yes i've put the latest menu files on the SD card. However it probably all went wrong when I was using an old menu by accident as i'd originally put it in /menu not /games/menu ... but the beta-1 rom pack already has an old version in there so i'd bet it picked that one up. But putting the new one on the card now doesn't seem to help.

Okay, so did some more testing. Bought a new Samsung Evo + 32GB card and prepared it on my laptop this time.

Did a full format with SD formatter, put the beta pack on there and overwritten the menu with the one DS posted.

Still MV-1F mobo with unibios 3.1

First boot, straight through to the menu (this used to take me 3 tries minimum), I was able to see ALL games, even including Windjammers, which I've never seen before, hooray!

The shortcuts to go back to the menu and switch slots still don't work though. I either get filesystem not ready, no games found or when it does go to the menu I only see like 20 titles or something.

It also doesn't keep any games in the buffer, not with a softboot, not with a reboot of the cab (PSU).

Also, an interesting fact is this timeline:

1: go back to menu by using the shortcut, filesystem not ready no games found
2: reboot by using unibios reset method: error with the green overlay screen
3: reboot cab by switching off/on the PSU: no games found
4: reboot cab again - tadaaaa my games are back in the 3 slots
5: play Magician Lord (slot 1)
6: go back to menu by using the shortcut, slot 1 and 2 are empty, only slot 3 shows a game
7: game 3 autoboots (Sengoku 3) goes straight into green overlay screen on title screen

Go figure? I'm lost here :)

So I've ruled out the SD card I think as well as the SD reader/writer since I've used 2 physical machines and multiple ways of formatting.

What else can I check for?

I think it would be nice to implement some kind of cross check validation between the firmware version and the files in the SD.

Back