What's new
well.. I did following:

1- Bought this card: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B074B573C4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2- Format it with "MiniAideFAT32" Home Edition v1.05. Be sure to select FAT32 and select the biggest cluster size (you don't want small or standard clusters in any multi.. I learned that the hard way with GDEMU and Everdrives..)

3- Download Smoke's Pack: http://www.filefactory.com/file/66z898rc14bj/Neo Geo Roll-Up BETA 1.7z

4- Unzipped Smoke's Pack to my local disc (not SD)

5- Downloaded DS Multi new Menu Pack: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4do62x30638ixb6/menu-21012018.rar

6- Overwrote the games/Menu folder files from Smoke's Pack with the newest menu files.

7- Copied the files I copied to my local disc (Smoke's pack with updated menu) to the SD

8- Insert SD in the Multi and Turn on.

9- Flash 3 games to 3 slots.

10- Play

I played with the games.. jumped back and forward, jumped back to the menu and then to another slot, played more, jumped more back and forward, more playing, back to the menu...

Not a single glitch, no scrambled menu, no scrambled game, no pixels, no nothing... so I don't think that Smoke's pack is the problem here..

Last edited:
Only deviation I see to what we did is step #2...
I always format with default cluster size, what did you find out when not using the biggest size?

@deibit great feedback. Did you try loading new games? Are you trying that microSD on the proto or in the cart you got from Aldo?

From what you are saying looks like the microSD itself rather than the files on it are making the trouble. Maybe a problem with the filesystem or the formatting as you suggested. Can you try to dig further please?

@deibit that would be a great test. If it is the rompack, you should be having similar issues.. which motherboard do you have?
I always used the beta-test rompack, and I did lots of nasty things with it :))

This was the first time I tried a clean install, with anew SDcard and with Smoke's rompack..

I tested it with a MV1FZS i have a MV1A to test as well, will try it later.

Only deviation I see to what we did is step #2...
I always format with default cluster size, what did you find out when not using the biggest size?
in GDEMU there was a clear difference in stability when using bigger cluster sizes in comparison with smaller cluster sizes.

Anyway, the bigger the cluster size the less overhead (data is read by clusters, not by bytes).. the only drawback is that with smaller files (smaller than the cluster size) you are going to lose space.. but that's not an issue here.

@deibit great feedback. Did you try loading new games? Are you trying that microSD on the proto or in the cart you got from Aldo?

From what you are saying looks like the microSD itself rather than the files on it are making the trouble. Maybe a problem with the filesystem or the formatting as you suggested. Can you try to dig further please?
Yes I loaded new games, And reloaded other ones..I tested the freshly saved SD with Aldo's cart.

I will test further... I will for sure be able to get to more conclusions once Lhantz manages to send me his setup..

That's the exact same card I have as well. I will try formatting using the same tools and settings. @deibit did you put the files from the menu in the update folder as well?

That means @deibit had already the latest version of the menu I guess. Which date shows when you go into the menu and check the About section?

Also, do you get the same results both with proto and final version?

OK, so having properly updated the menu I have unbricked my system and now up and running again :thumbsup:

I am seeing the corrupt pixels issue though, on the menu and in games...

multi1.JPG
multi3.JPG

Attachments

• multi2.JPG
    multi2.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 269
That means @deibit had already the latest version of the menu I guess. Which date shows when you go into the menu and check the About section?

Okay, for my reference, where is the menu stored once the multi copies and deletes it from the update folder?

What do you mean by the proto and final version exactly? I will check later for the menu version.

Okay, for my reference, where is the menu stored once the multi copies and deletes it from the update folder?
What do you mean by the proto and final version exactly? I will check later for the menu version.
Menu files are loaded from \games\menu on bootup but the part that goes into the flashes is updated from \update\menu
The proto was intended for @deibit. He has one of my proto carts.

Firmware revision: 0x0002
Firmware build: 0x0003
Menu build date: Jan 21 2018

Okay, gonna do it all over again once more. Takes a bit, I'll report back.

Just finished prepping the SD again. Formatted with 8192kb cluster size this time, but with the Windows formatter.

I think the Windows formatter doesn't play nice as everything is f**ked up now. MiniAide crashes on both my Windows 10 machines and SDFormatter won't let you change the cluster size.

Will have to continue later... :(

I'll update the Roll-Up thread's instructions as soon as we settle on an exact method for formatting. Usually Window's built-in tool is the best, but it seems like that might not be the case here.

I've been using the cart all weekend. Loaded various games in different slots, did many soft reboots, hard reboots, going back and forth during gameplay between games and to the menu. Never had any issue.

The only thing that happened is that the gamelist only went up to World Heroes or something. I needed to remove some variants of games to show the full game list. After that, everything worked great.

I formatted it FAT32 through a VirtualBox running WIndows 7 on an Mac btw. Using a SanDisk 16GB MicroSD and DarksoftNeoGeoRoll-upBeta1. So yeah, probably not a problem with the ROM pack.

Just finished prepping the SD again. Formatted with 8192kb cluster size this time, but with the Windows formatter.

I think the Windows formatter doesn't play nice as everything is f**ked up now. MiniAide crashes on both my Windows 10 machines and SDFormatter won't let you change the cluster size.
I use 32k cluster size. Strange that MiniAide doesn't work for you, I'm also using Windows10. But there are other tools for that... Most of the tools to partition disks will offer you this option.

I don't know if the cluster size is causing issues here.. But for sure it doesn't help to have smaller sizes..

I used to fight a lot with other sd based solutions, and using 32k clusters helped with GDemu, EverdriveGBA and others..

I use 32k cluster size. Strange that MiniAide doesn't work for you, I'm also using Windows10. But there are other tools for that... Most of the tools to partition disks will offer you this option.

I don't know if the cluster size is causing issues here.. But for sure it doesn't help to have smaller sizes..

I used to fight a lot with other sd based solutions, and using 32k clusters helped with GDemu, EverdriveGBA and others..
just popped in my new 16GB Sandisk Ultra in my laptop and with the standard Windows 7 tool I can also pick 64Kb cluster size, so i will go for that now?

Back