What's new
This is the previous version of the menu. It has glitches as @jassin000 explained and sound problems but there shouldnt be any gfx problems at all and changing slots, etc should happen flawless.

@waiwainl, @Sp33dFr34k and anyone having troubles AND ONLY if you have troubles with current version, please give it a go.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wonzl4sdq4e1xwn/menu-20171201.7z
Just tried this menu build (Dec 1, 2017) but the pixel glitches are still there unfortunately.
Those glitches are static or moving? Have you tried only on your NEO-MVH SLOT4 or do you have another mobo where to try?

This is the previous version of the menu. It has glitches as @jassin000 explained and sound problems but there shouldnt be any gfx problems at all and changing slots, etc should happen flawless.

@waiwainl, @Sp33dFr34k and anyone having troubles AND ONLY if you have troubles with current version, please give it a go.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wonzl4sdq4e1xwn/menu-20171201.7z
Just tried this menu build (Dec 1, 2017) but the pixel glitches are still there unfortunately.
Those glitches are static or moving? Have you tried only on your NEO-MVH SLOT4 or do you have another mobo where to try?
They're moving, see... https://youtu.be/xNRSyT1fY2s

Unfortunately I only have my 4 slot at the moment (that works anyway!)

I time and time again fall in the trap of not checking basics when I do trouble-shooting, but I'm very quick to point it out when assisting others - so, out of curiosity, how much power does the multi draw? Could it be a power issue affecting the mvs mobo, as it most likely is using a bit more than a plain rom cart?

as it most likely is using a bit more than a plain rom cart?
It uses a tiny bit more sure, but in my test it was so little it was almost unnoticeable...
The HAS provides a real time +5v meter, and I think it fell maybe 0.1~0.2v when I switched from a real cart to the multi.

I normally keep the PSU slightly high at about 5.1~5.2v to compensate for these different draws.

Several threads out there for different topics, but just want to say how awesome it is to finally have this! I just spent an hour playing only SSII...it booted instantly and has never looked so amazing through my HAS. Thank you!

Using a SanDisk 32GB Ultra (class 10) card with 64Kb clusters, formatted with Rufus 2.18 . Upon inital boot and navigating the game menu, I had selected SSII to be loaded in slot 1, then was scrolling the games list to find something for slot 2 when it froze. I pulled the power, rebooted and all was good to launch SSII. Just to get real specifc, the game I was switching to in the menu was a KOF98 varient. Not sure if it had an image asset or whether or not that matters.

One more observation is that I have UniBios (3.2 I think, but possibly 3.3, will confirm) and got the garbled top graphic when booting intially. When the Uni splash screen came up after the reboot to write the game to RAM, it was fine. No graphical issue at all.

I'm using an MV-1C and keeping my voltage right about 5.08.

MV-1FS
Unibios 3.2
Downloaded Smoke's Pack and replaced the menu folder with the newer version of the Menu from DS's post, also put the menu files in the update folder as instructed.
Put contents on a Sandisc 16GB SD card (FAT32 Formatted)

It showed the uni-bios screen then goes to an "Initializing Filesystem" message and hangs. I let it sit there for a good 20 minutes before powering down reinserting the cart and card and trying again. same result.

Reformatted the card and tried again... same result :(

I'll try a different card and different bios tonight.
I had some more time to play around with this tonight. It's had some success and some failures (more failures than success sadly)

I reformatted the card using the official SD Card formatting tool, recopied everything back over fresh. This time it skipped pas the "initializing filesystem" message and displayed a flash of a message about not being able to initialize the file system before saying that there were no games. I tried re-seating everything and rebooting and no luck.

I then cracked open a brand new Samsung EVO 32GB I bought from a local Staples (so it's legit; this one here: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Adapter-MB-MP32DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU786). formatted Fat 32 and copied everything over.
First boot with that it hung again on the "initializing filesystem" I rebooted again and this time it worked!
I loaded up Aero Fighters 2, Cyber Lip and Twinkle Star Sprites. Played a credit of Aero Fighters 2 and then shut it off (I had to go do something). I was happy to NOT see any of the graphical glitches that were plaguing others here so that's a big positive.

I came back and powered it back on and all 3 games were still there, I played a few credits of Aero Fighters 2, then switched to CyberLip and played a few credits of that, then I switched to Twinkle Star Sprites and it crashed immediately when loading the game:

tss.jpg

It wouldn't soft reset back to the menu nor switch slots so I had to power it off. When powering it back on it once again hung on the initializing filesystem message. I rebooted again and it booted the the menu.

I decided to change the games in the slots so I set it to Last Resort, Shock Troopers, and Magical Drop 2. I also disabled the menu music and animations. When I attempted to reboot and load games the menu music started playing again, the screen turned solid green and a god-awful screeching sound started blasting through my speakers I let it sit there for a few seconds to see if it would stop but it didn't so I shut it off.

After this it wouldn't boot back up. it would just go to a black screen after the unibios screen and just sit there. After a few reboot attempts it would boot and start to show the darksoft logo then reboot and keep repeating. I swapped back to the original bios and it didn't make a difference (just no longer showed the unibios screen). I finally got it to stop by holding right and start on the joystick through a whole boot loop and it finally loaded the menu. At this point it showed last resort in slot 1 and nothing in slots 2 or 3. I also poked around the menu and ran the "diagnostics" option to see what that said:

diag.jpg

Looking through the game list I noticed a lot of games were missing from the game list, it was down to maybe 50 or 60 games but it wasn't like the list was cut off it was sparatic games throughout the list. For instance "Voltage Fighter" was the last game on the list but the next game before that was King of Fighters 99. Rebooting didn't bring them back I removed last resort from Slot 1 and reloaded it, then I put Magical Drop III in slot 2 and Flip Shot in Slot 3.

I played a few credits of Voltage Fighter great, then I played a few Credits of Magical Drop III and then the system reboot on me. And it got stick in a different boot loop where it would show the standard "Mega pro-spec" logo and after that it would reboot. I powered it down and tried to power it on again and once again it was hanging at the "initialize file system" message.

And thats when I shut it off and decided to report everything that happened.

TLDR:

things I've changed:
-I'm using a Samsung EVO SD card, formatted properly
-switched back to an original BIOS.

Pros:
-no graphical problems

Cons:
-only boots about 1/5th of the time, the other times it goes to a black screen, hangs on initializing file system, or will get caught in a boot loop
-games went missing from game list
-crashed while loading games into slots (Shock Troopers) and semi-bricked the cart
-crashed while playing games (Twinkle Star Sprites and Magical Drop 3)

Last edited:
Did you try to boot it with your mv-1b? You can at least check the boot behavior.

Did you try to boot it with your mv-1b? You can at least check the boot behavior.
ok, just went down and tried this.

it booted and and gave me a "resetting to defaults" message. after which it loaded the menu and the music was back confirming that it did indeed reset my defaults and the 3 games I had previously loaded were still in their slots.

i tried to load slot 2 again (Magical Drop 3) but it loaded slot 1 (Last Resort) and I quickly realized that it was ignoring my inputs, likely due to it using the Irritating Maze Bios. It did boot first try though. I can do more testing with that tomorrow.

I time and time again fall in the trap of not checking basics when I do trouble-shooting, but I'm very quick to point it out when assisting others - so, out of curiosity, how much power does the multi draw? Could it be a power issue affecting the mvs mobo, as it most likely is using a bit more than a plain rom cart?
For all the testing I did with @Sp33dFr34k we had 5.05v at Jamma edge.
I assume nothing changed in his set-up after I left, so all reported issues after that where with the same voltage.
This was on a MV-1F motherboard.

Looks like @twistedsymphony issues are fairly similar with his MV-1FZ motherboard.

Last edited:
I don't think that voltage is the problem here.. I have the HAS meter peaking at around 4.9-5.0 and I play for hours without issues.

i tried to load slot 2 again (Magical Drop 3) but it loaded slot 1 (Last Resort) and I quickly realized that it was ignoring my inputs, likely due to it using the Irritating Maze Bios. It did boot first try though. I can do more testing with that tomorrow.
Yes. You would need to change the boot but at least we verified booting and it's looking more like a pcb compatibility issue (but it was already looking that way)

Thanks for doing that.

@twistedsymphony yes can confirm I have the exact same issues. So at least we know for sure it has to be motherboard compatibility now. I think the guys with the graphical glitches have different issues than we do..

From what you say, it looks like it's a menu problem with MV1FZ. We need to dig it further. We got a couple of MV1fZ coming to us to test this in parallel.
@Darksoft just looked up the above quote, I just read @jassin000 has been testing with two MV-1FZ motherboards and was successful in doing so. We are having issues with the MV-1F(S) motherboards (possibly also MV-1FT if @PascalP can confirm tonight?), do you have one of those coming in as well?

Last edited:
Yes I will continue testing tonight on my MV-1FT as I have my video RAM fixed now :D

From the comparison we did last week we saw that my MV-1FT is 99% identical to @Sp33dFr34k's MV-1F, same size and dimensions, just slightly different component layout.

Last edited:
Exactly the same 1 Slot as mine MV-1F, having exactly the same problems, the Multi Cart does not work correctly with this Mother Board, initially it loads fine, then it crashes, looses the games from each slot and the list of games is reduced after a while. I could only access the menu/change game on the Neo splash screen at the beginning.

My Cart, Motherboard and SD card has now been sent to @deibit, [color=#000000]so hopefully he can diagnose what is wrong and sort it out for all us MV-1F owners[/color]

The goal is first to determine if it's a SD issue, a Motherboard incompatibility Issue (menu or firmware) or a Cart Issue (hardware)

I think this will be easy determined after the first tests.. I have two working Multis and two working motherboards and two working SDs (Beta and Smoke's).. since Lhantz sent the cart, the motherboard and the SD I will just need to isolate the problem by testing multiple permutations :)

Back