What's new
1FZ are a very popular Neo board (I have 3 of them) - so it's definitely important to figure out what's happening.

The fact we now know that the prototype worked perfectly on 1FZ but the final version doesn't means Darksoft and Mitsu know where to concentrate their efforts in locating the issue

1FS is IMO the most important board because it's the smallest stereo board. A lot of people use this, myself included.

I opened up my cart and had a look around...

I disassembled the 2nd layer interconnect and probed the pins with my multimeter to make sure all cart pads were soldered/electrically connected.
Every pin on the interconnect checked out fine, at that point I turned my attention to the main pcb.

This pad, attached to R160 below isn't connected. You can clearly see solder pads but nothing populates this spot.
qdBDU9j.png

It's the same for these two pads on the other side R110/R169 and R168/R126...
RwHn5UW.png

Should these pads be electrically connected to something/anything?
Is this the cause of the grafix glitches? :huh:

I know these grafix issues can be caused by a great many things...
Given my extensive testing time with the beta, the fact that both 1FZ motherboards worked with the beta, I've tested many different microSD cards now, I'm leaning towards production defect.
Not all the carts, but mine for sure and maybe my panda brethren above.
You, me and @waiwainl are in the same boat..
These things can happen, I'm not angry I just want to get it fixed.
I think we really need to start focusing on the final cart itself...
Suggesting this issue (missing pixels) is motherboard version related just isn't compatible with my personal testing or observations (aka I don't buy it something else is going on).

I'm going to send my final cart to @Mitsurugi-w for a indepth look/test.
If this is a isolated production defect (as I suspect) he will be able to confirm it and hopefully detail/provide a fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you still have the beta cart so you could possibly compare the two?

The pads are still there but the resistors are not, which would suggest they aren't required but it's not worth completely redesigning the board to remove the pads

Interesting that R192 is populated and connected to an empty R160 though.

The fact remains that not all boards are having issues, it's specific to certain revisions.

Darksoft and Mitsu will be all over it like a snake on a rock

Do you still have the beta cart so you could possibly compare the two?
I do not unfortunately.
When I received confirmation of my final cart shipping out I sent the beta back to Mits.
Interesting that R192 is populated and connected to an empty R160 though.
Isn't it? I mean if the connection was really not needed why populate a component into R192, it would be a waste of a component as this spot is a dead end.

Calling @deibit :D can you open up your cart and verify @jassin000 's findings?
Sure, but which one of the carts / protos should I open? :D

The final revision carts should be the same as the one as Jasin has, I can check the proto.. actually I can check all the carts, but I don't have any graphical glitch on any :)

But I think the easiest way to know what should be connected and what not, is just to ask @Darksoft :)

I think the PCB is a 8-layer PCB so maybe it's not that easy to track what goes where..

Last edited:
You should be receiving a graphical glitch unit today :D but yeah easiest would be if @Darksoft uses his design as reference ^^

Mits and Darksoft are the experts, lets see what they have to say once tests have been performed.
My cart (a gfx pixel glitch) is on the way for comparison/testing now.

So far so good, updated to the latest menu.

No Pixel issues on the menu screen etc., games load into slots no problem, play and switch slots fine.

MV-1FZ
5.00v at the Jamma edge
Unibios 3.3
Smokemonster's pack
Playing it on the Vewlix with Taito's jamma kit/scaler

Gonna test things further later on. Like games/rom count on the menu, functionality, etc.. before I get into individual game testing.

Anyway to break up the roms into packs? Ex...Legit released roms, unreleased, hacked, homebrew, etc....
That way we can all work off of one base pack, like lets say the legit released roms, make sure all of those are working 100% as the originals and so on??

IMG_9372.JPG

IMG_9374.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9375.JPG
    IMG_9375.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_9373.JPG
    IMG_9373.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
I just gave it a try. 4.6v on jamma side and I still have the green unibios error screen on kof98 ;)
Is that the only error you have? That voltage thing is supposed to fix resets or games not loading.
Let's say I have strange behaviors:
  • green unibios error screen (I've tested only 5 or 6 games, but wjammers and kof98 gave me this error)
  • characters in kof98 that leave the screen
  • sometimes the "inititilaizing filsystem" takes more that 1 minute
  • I've got the missing pixel thing, but only 1 time
  • I've got a problem where writing a game in slot1 (wjammers I think) never rebooted
Nothing which blocks me to play (except for kof98), but a kind of beta feeling for the right moment.
But I know you'll find something ;)

what I did was to remove the dupes/hacks manually

I can give you my current listing if you want.. :)

I can give you my current listing if you want.. :)
Let me get that please :)

I know some of the hacked versions are wanted cause they eliminate issues with the original release of certain games, so those hacked ones that I would want I can add later on.

Starting to sound more and more like flashcart issues.

Perhaps the build house decided to sub in different spec parts.
I believe the way it works is that you specify what you want and they use that product or an equivalent? I could be wrong.
But in general as long as flash memory is the correct type and speed it shouldn't matter if a different brand is substituted

Could be a bad batch of flash memory as well?
No, can't be that. I buy the parts that I want and take them to a company that just assembles them for us.

1FZ are a very popular Neo board (I have 3 of them) - so it's definitely important to figure out what's happening.

The fact we now know that the prototype worked perfectly on 1FZ but the final version doesn't means Darksoft and Mitsu know where to concentrate their efforts in locating the issue
^THAT^

Anyway to break up the roms into packs? Ex...Legit released roms, unreleased, hacked, homebrew, etc....That way we can all work off of one base pack, like lets say the legit released roms, make sure all of those are working 100% as the originals and so on??
Yes, the current pack is just to give everyone a working set to use now. It's very much beta still. Once I'm home from the beach in a couple of weeks, I can purge out the doubles and make them an add-on for now.

Once bug testing is complete, I will expand the pack to three parts:

Base Pack: Parent copy of all official MAME ROMs
MAME Complete Add-on: All of the doubles from MAME, and the standalone PCB ROMs
Homebrew, etc Add-on: Homebrew, Hacks, Demos, Intros, Tools, etc. An extensive set of rare (some now nonexistent in the wild) ROMs that I've collected over years.

I can give you my current listing if you want..
Could you please forward me your list as well?

Back