What's new
Games write their configuration to the backup ram. We could either catch those writes and read what would make things more complicated or just do a backup when you switch game. We opted for the latter.

The buff file can be opened with several programs. We'll explain how. From within you can add / remove the configuration and backup files.

The first time I flashed the cart, I got a green screen after power cycling.

I reformatted the card and deleted the hidden files (I'm on a Mac) and now it works just fine (done about 10 reboots).

Another thing, the text on the menu says to press START + RIGHT to load the next game and START + UP to go to the menu, however on my cart it's reversed! START + UP goes to the next game, and START + RIGHT goes to the menu. Is this a known problem or any ideas about that?

Cheers.

It is supposed to be like that. Start + up = next game and start + right = menu. Unsure why it mentions the other way around for you, didn't notice that myself. Which version of the menu are you using?

Using latest firmware, attached is the photo of the "help" screen from the main menu.

Attachments

• ds.jpg
    ds.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 239
Using latest firmware, attached is the photo of the "help" screen from the main menu.
Darksoft never sleeps, posted answer just before me.

on my cart:-
Menu = Right & Start
Games = Up & Start

Never seen help screen but IMHO feel it' just got mixed up. Am sure it will be sorted in time.

Ps. I feel up should go "UP to menu" and right ( or left ) Side step cart slots.

Last edited:
Yep, I kinda had the feeling that was the case! Looking forward to the updates...

Did I miss a post with a link to the script to convert mame-format roms to Darksoft's format? I have some homebrew I wanna try on real hw.

I see where DS mentioned it but can't find a link to the actual tool.

Not posted publicly yet....When we get all original and most bootlegs running, we'll go for it.

Other than the issue with Pulsar I haven't had anything go wrong with my multi. My buddy with your competitor's multi is green with envy right now.

Question though....is it possible to have it always just go back to the game select menu by default and not to the 3 games loaded or is that something we can request in later fw?

Other than the issue with Pulsar I haven't had anything go wrong with my multi. My buddy with your competitor's multi is green with envy right now.

Question though....is it possible to have it always just go back to the game select menu by default and not to the 3 games loaded or is that something we can request in later fw?
I guess you mean, that it goes directly to the game list, instead of showing the Metal Slug anymation, right?

I guess you mean, that it goes directly to the game list, instead of showing the Metal Slug anymation, right?
Yes. I do like the animation though.

Question: what if the flashing process fails fore whatever reason? I mean: what if the cart turns with bad firmware (bad SD card, power failure, anything). How can it be recovered? is the flashing process handled by the firmware itself, or is it hardware-based?

As long as the bootloader is intact you can always restore the FW the same way you update it. This was a feature added very early on with the protos since I corrupted the proto and had to send it back to DS to fix. In the event that the bootloader becomes corrupted which is VERY UNLIKELY you can restore it using a device like the Discovery.

As long as the bootloader is intact you can always restore the FW the same way you update it. This was a feature added very early on with the protos since I corrupted the proto and had to send it back to DS to fix. In the event that the bootloader becomes corrupted which is VERY UNLIKELY you can restore it using a device like the Discovery.
I can confirm this. Power blinked while I did initial install. Reinstalled everything on the sd and everything was fine.

Cool, good to know. So, the firmware update process does not touch the bootloader, I'm assuming? so if I upload a bad/corrupted firmware, is it just as simple as copying the good files again to the SD card and rebooting the MVS board? :)

Back