What's new

aoiddr

Professional
Reaction score
Is there any difference between the 512MB and 1GB versions of various Chihiro games like Outrun 2 SP? Are the graphics improved due to the ram usage, or is it just that the games are programmed to work with different ram settings, but are the same?

I would suspect if anything it's just down-sampled audio and/or textures.

you can upgrade your DIMM board fairly easily to support the larger games, it's just PC style memory modules you can open up the DIMM board and pop them in.

You need to change the jumpers also. But also remember if you have 1gb of ram most 512mb games will give you an error until you change your ram down to 512mb. It doesn't work quite like a PC where you can throw extra ram in and just forget about it.

You need to change the jumpers also. But also remember if you have 1gb of ram most 512mb games will give you an error until you change your ram down to 512mb. It doesn't work quite like a PC where you can throw extra ram in and just forget about it.
That sucks... good to know though.

can you keep the extra ram in place and just change the jumpers?

alternatively can you pad out the smaller roms so that they can all use the larger 1gb setup without downgrading the ram?

If you change the jumpers with the wrong ram in place it gives you an incorrect memory size error.

I have no idea how to do any of that padding stuff. I'm not the technical mind around here. Not at all.... :P

All chihiro games exist in 1gb or 512mb (generally the 2 files are in the GDROM), except for HOTD3 and Crazy Taxi...

But for HOTD3, someone has patched the 512mb rom to be like a 1gb rom, you can find it here : http://www.arcade-collector.com/chihiro/

I would suspect if anything it's just down-sampled audio and/or textures.

you can upgrade your DIMM board fairly easily to support the larger games, it's just PC style memory modules you can open up the DIMM board and pop them in.
I think we're talking about the ram size in the Chihiro, not in the Media board/dimm...

As fot your question, there is nothing really noticeable... but i didn't checked side by side...

Back